Hedge Witchraft

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
Nixie-Tartarus

Hedge Witchraft

Post by Nixie-Tartarus »

I was hoping you guys could share any good books/information sources where I can learn more about this path :)
loona wynd
Banned Member

Re: Hedge Witchraft

Post by loona wynd »

Hedge witchcraft is a tradition and style of witchcraft where most of the rituals are shamanistic in nature. These rituals involve deep styles of trance work. In these rituals the witch crosses the hedge and travels into the various spirit worlds to meet with various spirits and work with various spirits. It is often said that these witches are frequently in a position where they essentially have one foot ready to jump into the spirit world and one foot firmly in this world.

Hedge witchcraft is what I would call the Shamanic witchcraft tradition. The rites and rituals that involve trance also use and involve witchcraft to work effectively. These witches practice magic and spell craft much like any other witch. Traditionally these witches were herbalists and kitchen witches working mostly with herbs they could wild craft in the forest or grow in their gardens.

Depending on how traditional you want to go hedge witchcraft can be a more eclectic and ceremonial style of witchcraft as we see in most of the modern styles of witchcraft or it can be more spontaneous and free flowing with a deeper trance based practice. That is more the traditional style of hedge witchcraft. My personal style uses a mixture of both as there are times I find ceremony useful in getting into trance states and communicating with spirits and there are times I find other styles of rituals better for connecting to spirits.

I have several different books on the topic I can list. However some are more traditional based and have a more academic and anthropological approach getting into the symbols of forms of traditional witchcraft and some a easier to read for general practices.
Nixie-Tartarus

Post by Nixie-Tartarus »

Thank you for the reply!

I would like to find some books that explain more then getting into the spells and such yet. I want to understand a more basics and fundamentals before I start practicing. Also, I think I would prefer to take a more deeper trance based approach.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Honestly, I have seen very few good books on hedge witchcraft. The one that comes to mind is Veronica Cummer's To Fly By Night: The Craft of the Hedgewitch.

If you're looking for books, I would strongly encourage you to look for books on shamanism, herbology, divination, stones/crystals, maybe food/color/aromatherapy associations, and other folk practices. :)
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Nixie-Tartarus wrote:Thank you for the reply!

I would like to find some books that explain more then getting into the spells and such yet. I want to understand a more basics and fundamentals before I start practicing. Also, I think I would prefer to take a more deeper trance based approach.
Well here is my list of books

Craft of the Wild witch By Poppy Palin
Hedge Rider by Eric De Vries
To Fly By Night: The Craft of the Hedgewitch By Veronica Cummer
The 13 Gates of witchcraft By Christopher Penczak
The Shamanic Temple of Witchcraft & CD companions by Christopher Penczak

The witching Way of the Hollow Hill by Robin Artisson

The ones in bold are my personal favorites and recommendations. Its important to know that the tradition and style of hedge witchcraft is actually one that is very shamanic in nature. Some of these books are closer to "traditional witchcraft" but I'm of the school of thought that hedge witchcraft in the truest sense and traditional witchcraft are the same thing essentially. Traditional witchcraft to me is the witches shamanic tradition.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Vesca wrote:Honestly, I have seen very few good books on hedge witchcraft. The one that comes to mind is Veronica Cummer's To Fly By Night: The Craft of the Hedgewitch.
That would be because most of the books that cover hedge witchcraft aren't in most bookstores. I've found that most of the books that would cover hedge witch will not be found under Wicca or witchcraft. Look under traditional witchcraft and you'll find much more.
Vesca wrote:If you're looking for books, I would strongly encourage you to look for books on shamanism, herbology, divination, stones/crystals, maybe food/color/aromatherapy associations, and other folk practices. :)
Considering the description I gave of hedge witchcraft being the shamanic form of witchcraft I would agree with your recommendation to look at book on shamanism. I'd also look into hypnosis work-self hypnosis as that can be a powerful tool to getting into trance work.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

loona wynd wrote:
Vesca wrote:Honestly, I have seen very few good books on hedge witchcraft. The one that comes to mind is Veronica Cummer's To Fly By Night: The Craft of the Hedgewitch.
That would be because most of the books that cover hedge witchcraft aren't in most bookstores. I've found that most of the books that would cover hedge witch will not be found under Wicca or witchcraft. Look under traditional witchcraft and you'll find much more.
I'm aware; key word in my statement was "good" books. What I consider useful and what others consider useful are often different. Hence why my list of references and post itself is fairly short. :)
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Vesca wrote:I'm aware; key word in my statement was "good" books. What I consider useful and what others consider useful are often different. Hence why my list of references and post itself is fairly short. :)
True enough. If you noticed I mentioned that book in my own list of books I have found useful for hedge witchcraft specifically. I have a longer list specifically for traditional witchcraft, but that is another topic.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Nixie-Tartarus wrote:Thank you for the reply!

Here are some Shamanism Books:

Practical Shamanism, A Guide for Walking in Both Worlds by Katie Weatherup
Shamanic Spirit: A Practical Guide to Personal Fulfillment By Kenneth Meadows
Shamanism As a Spiritual Practice for Daily Life By Thomas Dale Cowan
Awakening to the Spirit World: The Shamanic Path of Direct Revelation By Sandra Ingerman
The Way of the Shaman By Michael Harner
Isis3Anubis

Post by Isis3Anubis »

Thank you. I just thought I was a lazy witch because I would rather do trance work than ritual. Virtually all my spell work is in my head. I didn't realize it was a respected practice over mixing herbs and doing gestures or maybe that is incorporated into it.
She's just pieces of me you've never seen ~ Tori Amos
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Isis3Anubis wrote:Thank you. I just thought I was a lazy witch because I would rather do trance work than ritual. Virtually all my spell work is in my head. I didn't realize it was a respected practice over mixing herbs and doing gestures or maybe that is incorporated into it.
Well there are schools of magic where all the spells are performed with mental visulization over mixing herbs and the like. Its actually the first form of magic that I really learned well. Christopher Penczak's book Instant Magick covers this quite a bit. Using your mind and mental powers for spell casting and rituals is not being lazy. Its a respected form of magic.

Hedge witchcraft uses trance to communicate with spirits and deities. Hedge witchcraft magically also uses a lot of herbs. One of a hedge witches main guides are their plant spirit allies. Though animal allies are also important. The biggest aspect of Hedge witchcraft is that one travels to the spirit world and does a lot of out of body spirit work.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

loona wynd wrote: The Shamanic Temple of Witchcraft & CD companions by Christopher Penczak[/b]

The ones in bold are my personal favorites and recommendations. Its important to know that the tradition and style of hedge witchcraft is actually one that is very shamanic in nature. Some of these books are closer to "traditional witchcraft" but I'm of the school of thought that hedge witchcraft in the truest sense and traditional witchcraft are the same thing essentially. Traditional witchcraft to me is the witches shamanic tradition.
I just downloaded this one and cant wait to start it. I love his books, I think I have them all.

Ive been mostly eclectic and green. I guess Im trying to figure out the line between Hedge and Green. Or if they are just really that similar?
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

AnaisStar wrote: I just downloaded this one and cant wait to start it. I love his books, I think I have them all.
Good luck. Do the exercises as they are listed and mentioned and you will go far with his system.
AnaisStar wrote:Ive been mostly eclectic and green. I guess Im trying to figure out the line between Hedge and Green. Or if they are just really that similar?
I don't know much about Green witchcraft. The only cohesive Green witchcraft tradition I am aware of is the one written by Ann Moura in her Green witchcraft series. So it might help me if you could tell me what you mean by Green witchcraft.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

loona wynd wrote:
AnaisStar wrote: I just downloaded this one and cant wait to start it. I love his books, I think I have them all.
Good luck. Do the exercises as they are listed and mentioned and you will go far with his system.
AnaisStar wrote:Ive been mostly eclectic and green. I guess Im trying to figure out the line between Hedge and Green. Or if they are just really that similar?
I don't know much about Green witchcraft. The only cohesive Green witchcraft tradition I am aware of is the one written by Ann Moura in her Green witchcraft series. So it might help me if you could tell me what you mean by Green witchcraft.
With Green I mean more nature based. I work closely with herbs, elements, nature etc. I dont consider myself a kitchen witch though. I was Wiccan when I first started practicing, but for the past 15+ years Ive just been very eclectic.

Im just starting to learn more about Shamanism. As you mentioned in the other post, shamanism is part of the Hedge path. Im just exploring it a little more, trying to develop my practice more and explore shamanism. I'm seeing that Hedge might be the path I start to go down next.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

One of the things I like about Hedge witchcraft is how similar it is to Traditional style witchcraft. Hedge witchcraft for me is great for creating a place based practice. In this way you really get to connect with the land spirits on a deeper level. You are letting the spirits teach you and guide you.

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”