Difference between Wicca & Paganism

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
Heartsong

Re: Difference between Wicca & Paganism

Post by Heartsong »

I said what I said not because I do not know that Pagan means non-Abrahamaic, but because I don't think it meaningful or useful to define people by "Abrahamic" and "non-Abrahamaic", the latter of which includes everything from atheists, Hindus, Buddhists, agnostics, people who have never heard of Christianity, people who practice indigenous religions, and people who don't care about religion one way or another.
I agree with Xiao. It hardly makes any sense to label someone using a definition that only encapsulates one viewpoint. I think that by defining paganism purely as those religions that are "Non-Abrahamaic", limits its meaning rather than expands it. because you lump so much under one moniker that really is only relevant to a single mode of thinking. Hence why dictionary.com probably uses multiple definitions.

As Xiao pointed out, language is constantly evolving, and new meanings are being invented nearly every day. I would also like to add that language is very personal, and thus its meaning, in my opinion, is relative to the person speaking. Therefore, the word "Paganism" is going to be explained very differently simply due to the fact that everyone has experienced it through various lenses. While you may describe it as being all of those religions not considered to be Christian, Muslim, or Jewish, others may describe it in entirely different terms. And the kicker is that none of those perceptions are wrong.

For me, Paganism and Wicca are not interchangeable, but they can blend together (and often do). I don't identify myself as either anymore, although I did consider myself a Wiccan for a while. If I had to say how I identify myself now, I would probably go with Green Witch. Ultimately, though, to me religion is in many ways a way of life, a lifestyle that one adopts based on personal beliefs and concepts that, ideally, bring you contentment and empowerment. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
-Dark-Moon-

Re: Difference between Wicca & Paganism

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

The word 'pagan' simply means 'country dweller'.

Belief is a tool.

Anyone who thinks you can not combine sources of inspiration such as science fiction, scientific theories, traditional ceremonial magic, neoshamanism, Eastern philosophy, world religions, and individual experimentation might benefit from reading about techniques and philosophies in Chaos Magic.

Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Blessings
Dark Moon
I am that which is attained at the end of desire

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”