Potions questions

Potions go here. Keep it nice please. No poisons.
MagickalMist

Potions questions

Post by MagickalMist »

Merry meet all!

I have now been studying for about half a year so I have figured a lot of things out on this forum and through books, but there are still a couple things I have questions on. I also thought that maybe others starting out might have the same questions.

For potions, there is a lot of great information, but in some cases the basic questions are what I noticed wasn't answered. For instance in a lot of tea potions or simply liquid potions, they will say how to make it (and I'm sorry if this is a dumb question) but generally do you then drink the tea?

And I've noticed people will give great help on what herbs to grow or purchase, but what do you do with them beyond that? Do you just make tea with the certain herbs to get the desired effects or put them in a bag and throw it on the ground around you and dance in circles (I'm just kidding on the last one). So my question is, does anyone have helpful hints or advice on herbs and such. Thank you all so much and blessed be. xx
Heartsong

Re: Potions questions

Post by Heartsong »

For potions, there is a lot of great information, but in some cases the basic questions are what I noticed wasn't answered. For instance in a lot of tea potions or simply liquid potions, they will say how to make it (and I'm sorry if this is a dumb question) but generally do you then drink the tea?
That's not a dumb question! Many instructions for potions, including tea potions, don't actually specify that you need to drink it (in most cases, it's implied, but not always). And really, it depends on the ingredients and the spell itself, but generally, when I make a potion, I drink it (or part of it, if that is what's called for). All mixtures, though, need to be handled with care. Kassandra has an awesome post on elixir safety here: http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... ir#p187506
And I've noticed people will give great help on what herbs to grow or purchase, but what do you do with them beyond that? Do you just make tea with the certain herbs to get the desired effects or put them in a bag and throw it on the ground around you and dance in circles (I'm just kidding on the last one). So my question is, does anyone have helpful hints or advice on herbs and such.
Could you tell us a bit more about what you'd like to know? I'm not sure if you're asking about how to use herbs, how to store them, or something else entirely. :evilwitch:
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Typically, teas are for consumption, but you do have to take caution in regards to using plants you may be allergic to. It helps to read the full instructions, since not everything labeled tea really means the drinking kind. For example, herbs put into a sachet for baths are often called "bath teas." When you've made a potion and it comes time to do something with it, ask yourself some questions:
Do the instructions say to drink it? Or do something else?
Were poisonous plants used? DO NOT consume poisonous plants!
Are you allergic to any of the plants used?
Does it sound tasty? (If it's got something in it you don't like, it's not likely to go down easily. :anxious: )
There are many things you can use herbs for, including but not limited to: teas, sachets, chaplets, decoctions, incense, infusions (sometimes used as "bath teas"), ointments, powders, and tinctures.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask us. :)
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

If I were to make a tea, I would drink it. But again as stated above look at what herbs you are using. If they are poisonous or you are allergic to them then definitely dont drink.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

The only potions I'd drink would be specific teas. You can mix them with wine. You can dampen spell petition papers with potions then dry the paper before inscribing the petition or spritz or dab the potion on the paper like you'd use oils on spells, on tools, on charm bags; or use a potion as a liquid base in Witch's Bottle spells. You can flick the potion off your fingers or use a spray bottle to mist with. A peace potion made with holy water plus herbs or oils can be spritzed around a room where arguments have occurred, or before a meeting. You can make a bath potion to rinse face, hands and hair (as desired) with non-consumable potions for charging yourself & strengthening your shielding. Add protection potions to the washing machine. A happy home, protection or prosperity floor wash is a potion. Make aerosol sprays of specifically Air corresponding herbs (like sage, marjoram, mint) to replace incense. As it's air-born mist it represents the Air element just as smoky incense does. Make warding potions to pour around your house's foundation to keep out unwanted pests/energies. Make "keep away" recipes to ward your property, "welcome" recipes for the door step to invite a special person to visit. Stone elixirs - soaking a stone in water set in sunlight - is another potion.
greyviolet

Post by greyviolet »

Sometimes I mix an oil with some herbs, or I'll let a crystal sit in distilled water to charge the water with the crystal's energy. The person I've made it for can apply it to an item, dab it on themselves, or whatever suits them (except drinking it) depending on the purpose of it.

Return to “Potions”