Altar Tools Question - substitute for athame

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
Falcon_Heart27

Altar Tools Question - substitute for athame

Post by Falcon_Heart27 »

Merry meet, all! I have a quick question about the tools that go on the altar. I'm putting my first altar together, and I'm trying to get all the necessary components.
My question is this- can I substitute something else for the athame? Not only do I not have a nice-looking dagger to use (just a pocket knife...), but I don't feel a very strong connection with it. I feel like I can channel my energy much more easily through something else, for example, a feather....
I know that an athame is one of the "staple" tools to have on an altar, but can I have something else as a substitute?

~Falcon
m_apollo8239

Re: Altar Tools Question

Post by m_apollo8239 »

id say if you dont feel a connect with the tool, theres no need for it upon your altar. all the athame is for is an aid to direct your energies, you can do that with a wand or even a finger! hope that helps!

:mrgreen:
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Have you read the thread http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 24451.html ?
It's becoming our go to thread for questions about "necessary" tools. ::coolglasses::
Have you looked at the altar pictures of other members? Maybe you'll see something on one of their altars that might inspire what goes on your altar. ;)
Falcon_Heart27 wrote:I feel like I can channel my energy much more easily through something else, for example, a feather....
I think that's a lovely idea. loveface I can picture casting a circle for a full moon rite while using a lovely white plume.
Falcon_Heart27

Post by Falcon_Heart27 »

Echo_of_shadows wrote: I think that's a lovely idea. loveface I can picture casting a circle for a full moon rite while using a lovely white plume.
Yeah, definitely :D
I've got a lovely white feather from my goose (my family has a small flock of poultry) that I was thinking about using. For other times, I've got a black tail feather from our rooster. (It shines a dark green in the sunlight!)
If I'm feeling very "flashy", I could even use the peacock plume that my great-uncle gave me!
Feathers open up so many possibilities! :o

(I feel like I'm acting really dorky and over-excited about this...but I'm happy. :D )
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Falcon_Heart27 wrote:If I'm feeling very "flashy", I could even use the peacock plume that my great-uncle gave me!
That one sounds good for boosting self-esteem. ::coolglasses::
Falcon_Heart27 wrote:(my family has a small flock of poultry)
It seems like using feathers in your rituals makes perfect sense. :D
Falcon_Heart27 wrote:Feathers open up so many possibilities!
Let us know what you come up with. :)
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Falcon_Heart27 wrote:Merry meet, all! I have a quick question about the tools that go on the altar. I'm putting my first altar together, and I'm trying to get all the necessary components.
Who said you had required components on an altar?
Falcon_Heart27 wrote:My question is this- can I substitute something else for the athame?
You can use what ever tools work for you. There are some traditional reasons and practices associated with various tools. In some traditions some tools are required. For you though if you are solitary you don't need to work with any tools you don't feel comfortable working with if you don't want to.
Falcon_Heart27 wrote:Not only do I not have a nice-looking dagger to use (just a pocket knife...), but I don't feel a very strong connection with it.
Then you don't need to work with this ritual tool at the moment. If you ever need to work with one it will come into your life. You may get it and not know what its for at first but the tool will come to you when the time is right and if you need it.
Falcon_Heart27 wrote:I feel like I can channel my energy much more easily through something else, for example, a feather...
I've worked with a feather before. They can be very powerful for working with air spirits and invoking air. They can move energy and directions freely, but you will find some directions are more effective than other directions in moving energy with the feather.

If you want to work with feathers then go for it. You can find them and cleanse and consecrate them. If you get large enough feathers you can decorate them with paint or other things if you wish. The feather is your power tool. You will know when you find it how to work with it and how it wants to work with you. It will guide you and be fun.
Falcon_Heart27 wrote: I know that an athame is one of the "staple" tools to have on an altar, but can I have something else as a substitute?
Wands are a traditional substitutes. I've used a razor clam shell to work circles. I've used fans and feathers. You can use basically any tool you want so long as you connect with it and make it work for you.
Falcon_Heart27

Post by Falcon_Heart27 »

Okay, thank you :)
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Falcon_Heart27 wrote:Okay, thank you :)
The idea is that the tool and you work together and build power together. There are many ways to do this. I think handling them a lot in a mindful manner is a good way. The other is to use them often even if its just practice with circle casting or practice directing a ball of energy you create for such a purpose.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

We automatically point our fingers to direct attention or cup our hands to concentrate force. Just holding a wand or knife makes the eye-hand-energy connections as a pointer for directing power. We can decide for ourselves whether or not to follow Wiccan structure. The tools vary by path so IMO are optional for solitaires.

Maintaining the symbolism is something to think about because altar tools are symbols of each element & altars use these symbols to focus our thoughts for spells.

A live flame candle can be replaced with an LED candle because a battery’s 🔋 electricity maintains the fire element & the visual symbolism is obvious. Replace smokey incense with the mist of an aerosol made with air element links. The athame & wand are primarily pointers. A laser pointer is a visually satisfying way improve one’s aim.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”