Saints, Prophets, and Archangels in Folk Magic

American Folk Magick, Hoodoo, Appalachian Granny Magic, Ozark Mountain Magic, Pow-wow Magic, and other types of folk magick are discussed here.
random417

Re: Saints, Prophets, and Archangels in Folk Magic

Post by random417 »

Archangels WILL work with you without an exchange, as they consider helping you part of their "job" so to speak. Offerings like those you would give godforms that have like aspects would be appropriate though.

It's like they work for the Highest, and not you, but "tips" are highly suggested. I'd find a St Michael candle, charged for him as an offering myself, but you can be creative. The only thing that works with Gods I haven't found to work with angels is food.
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
random417

Post by random417 »

Also, it seems to me that Michael may have picked you, so who are any of us to argue with that lol. He's a good guy :)
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

random417 wrote:Archangels WILL work with you without an exchange, as they consider helping you part of their "job" so to speak. Offerings like those you would give godforms that have like aspects would be appropriate though.
I've found in my research with Hoodoo (which is essentially the starting focus of this thread and work though other views are important as well) that giving offerings of some sort when you petition a spirit to work with you is part of the practice. Its sort of feeding them in ways. Like its a gift to help them replenish their forces after working with you on the task asked for.

This seems to be a common practice in many magical and spiritual traditions when engaging in spirits. Most of the offerings in the section of the book that dealt with working with saints, prophets, and angels were whiskey based. I don't typically have that on hand but I do have rum or another sort of spirit. I also have incense I can burn for an offering. Some spirits like certain herbs given to them. One of the spirits I read about likes to have a smoke given to her as part of the offering.
random417 wrote:It's like they work for the Highest, and not you, but "tips" are highly suggested.
Well thats sort of more what I was thinking. Its a gift given to them as a thank you for the help. Its sort of also a way of building trust and a relationship with the spirit (angel in this case) with them. Just like building an altar or shrine to the spirits you work with is a way of building and strengthening the relationships.
random417 wrote: I'd find a St Michael candle, charged for him as an offering myself, but you can be creative.
There is a catholic prayer/supply shop in a local city. I wonder if they would have various saint candles and prayer books for them. I know that some saints have specific prayers that have been written as a way to honor them- the novenas to the saints and angels. I think these things would be valuable resources for me as I explore these paths.
random417 wrote:The only thing that works with Gods I haven't found to work with angels is food.
Does that include drinks or are you thinking like bread and meats?
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

random417 wrote:Also, it seems to me that Michael may have picked you, so who are any of us to argue with that lol. He's a good guy :)
The only reason I knew it was him was because of the sword I saw on his waist. It was a flaming sword. This is something I have always seen associated with him and his imagery. The other archangels I haven't heard enough about to be able to tell you who the other two were. I know I saw three arch angels there and I think they are all from the LBRP which would make sense as when you perform that rite you are aligning yourself with those energies and they will get to know you.
Isis3Anubis

Post by Isis3Anubis »

I associate St. Michael with the element of fire so anything you would associate with that quarter would be a good offering like red candles, or stones. My goto offering is always red wine. Frankincense and cinnamon incense.
She's just pieces of me you've never seen ~ Tori Amos
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Isis3Anubis wrote:I associate St. Michael with the element of fire so anything you would associate with that quarter would be a good offering like red candles, or stones. My goto offering is always red wine. Frankincense and cinnamon incense.
I could make him a frankincense and cinnamon incense blend and see how he likes it. I do have plenty of those two herbs in my box. I have a very small red candle I could probably use for part of an initial working/petition. Thank you for the idea. That is very helpful.

I do know that frankincense and Myrrh are two herbs that basically any angelic force would probably accept. They are sacred herbs in the Abrahamic traditions. I have worked with both herbs substantially over the years in different incense blends. They actually form the base of my ritual and meditation incense blends.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

So I have decided which of the spirits (meaning out of the Saints, angels, and prophets) who I am going to start working with. I'm going to start working with Micheal and with Moses. There are a few other saints, prophets, and other beings I have read about that I am looking at working with but these two seem to be the ones calling to me right now. They jumped out at me more than anyone else I have been reading about so I think that is a good starting point.

I am working on setting up shrines to both of these spirits. Here I will be placing regular offerings, saying regular prayers, and just talking to them. I think I have stuff to work with.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

random417 wrote:Raphael would be appropriate for physical healing, but for the emotional healing described, Gabriel may be a better fit. It's why I asked.
I think that several archangels are associated with different types of healing, health, or sickness.

So I'm doing more research on Saint Micheal (who is also the Archangel Micheal). It says that he is a patron of sickness as well as being the patron of police, grocers, mariners, and paratroopers. I though that He had an aspect of his associations that was healing. It says here:
Catholic.org wrote:The early Christians regarded some of the martyrs, such as Saint George and Saint Theodore, as military patrons; but to St Michael they gave the care of their sick and he was first venerated as a healer in Phrygia (modern-day Turkey).[25]

The earliest and most famous sanctuary to Saint Michael in the ancient Near East was also associated with healing waters. It was the Michaelion built in the early 4th century by Emperor Constantine at Chalcedon, on the site of an earlier Temple called Sosthenion.[9]

[sic]...[sic]

Into the 6th century, the view of Michael as a healer continued in Rome, when after a plague the sick slept at night in the church of Castel Sant'Angelo (dedicated to him for saving Rome), waiting for his manifestation.[25][27]
source

The article lists his associations with healing or sickness first and this his traits as a warrior and as the leader of the army in heaven. I'm looking to see if there are other places where he has an association with healing.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

I thought I would update my progress on establishing a relationship with the Saints, prophets and angels in Hoodoo. The practice of working with specific spirits is a large component of one aspect of Hoodoo that I am studying. It was actually this aspect I originally sought so now I am working on those relationships.

So I have started to work with Micheal as a protector and defender. I have built him an altar. I pray to him like I pray to all my guides every morning to protect my home and guard my home. I light a candle to him each day as an offering when I pray. I also frequently replenish the water on his altar so that he may never thirst and always have refreshment.

I have found an official prayer to Micheal that was written by a member of the church at one time. I am going to learn that prayer and recite it over the sword I have on his altar as a symbol of him as a protector. I feel that by reciting that prayer over the sword I can empower the sword with his essence and his power. It will be his vessel for protecting my home. It will also be sort of an item I will be able to touch and always feel his presence there.

I know he is working with me as a protector as I felt his fiery presence empower me and my craft as I made some protection salt. I don't remember if I actually called him into the creation of the salt and to bless it but I knew he was there and was empowering it. I could feel it even more as I actually sprinkled the salt about and asked that it protect my home from any ill that goes our way and that no negative energy will be found.

I also now have the items I need to do an uncrossing and healing ritual that is associated with saint Micheal. For me this is a good thing. It means I can do some practical work actually calling on him for the first time. I know that he is a powerful ally to have. So I am hoping for things to develop very well between us.
Kassandra

Re: Saint Martin De Porres

Post by Kassandra »

I thought this was an interesting Catholic saint (Dominican order). Like St. Francis of Assisi, he was known to care for animals. He is often pictured with a broom in his hand because he was known to sweep the hospital so servants wouldn't have to, and is said to have called himself, "Brother Broom." He symbolizes community service/charity work. Finally, he was also the patron of mixed-race people. Since he was half Spanish and half African, he knew what it was like to be an "outsider."

martin de porres.jpg
He is often depicted feeding animals.
Source: colonialarts.com/product/san-martin-de-porres-3

prayer to martin de porres.JPG
This is his "official" prayer. His feast day is November 3rd.

Source: monstermarketplace.com/catholic-books/st-martin-de-porres-holy-card-5p-151-100-pack

brother broom.jpg
A little shrine for Brother Broom. This webpage reads:

How can you not love a saint who called himself "Brother Broom" because of his janitorial duties? This good-humored spirit created a dog and cat hospital, and set out food for the mice and rats in his friary. Born in Lima, Peru in 1579, he was originally trained as a hairdresser before joining the Dominicans. Although he is the patron of hairdressers, public health-workers, persons of mixed race, and Peruvian television, I think he is also the patron of fundraisers. He used his considerable skills as a barber and healer to raise money for orphanages, hospitals and clinics, as well as a dowry for his niece.

Source: servingspirits.com/st_martin.html

loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

That is an awesome saint. Its interesting how many saints there are that people don't really know about. Lucky Mojo had a list of saints and most of them I hadn't heard of.
treef0lk

Post by treef0lk »

-Dark-Moon- wrote:Angels are a non human race of divine consciousness (not archetypal collective unconscious or religion per se) concerned with the order of things. Archangels are at the top of that order. You will experience their interactions according to whatever (religious or otherwise) framework you're using to access them. Abrahamic religion is but one looking glass through which to interact with them. They are consciousness related to divinity not deity (God).

They are not a slave race that exist to do your bidding. They do not function for your egocentric desires.
That seems contrary to what is written about the purpose and nature of angels--they don't have free will, and if you include Islam in with Abrahamic religion, the story of Iblis establishes that angels prostrated to Adam, a consideration that is likely where rituals to invoke archangels and the idea of people being able to invoke them and command them comes from, because they are messengers of their Lord and their God...so I'm going to point out that the universal application of angels as being outside of religion, as well as saying that they do not do the bidding of humans is not in accordance to what is written of them.

However, I do agree with your point that the OP find out for themselves what works.

And to the OP, hoodoo is usually more associated with Protestant concepts and practices, so keep that in mind in your work as you might run into the Catholic vs Protestant issue in what you're doing.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

treef0lk wrote:That seems contrary to what is written about the purpose and nature of angels--they don't have free will, and if you include Islam in with Abrahamic religion, the story of Iblis establishes that angels prostrated to Adam, a consideration that is likely where rituals to invoke archangels and the idea of people being able to invoke them and command them comes from, because they are messengers of their Lord and their God...so I'm going to point out that the universal application of angels as being outside of religion, as well as saying that they do not do the bidding of humans is not in accordance to what is written of them.
This falls in line with that which I knew about the lore. They were asked to bow down to man and to serve man as mankind was considered to be God's greatest creation. I'm not sure if its in the cannon (New and Old Testaments) or if its in the non cannonical books (Book of Enoch, etc).
treef0lk wrote:However, I do agree with your point that the OP find out for themselves what works.
This is true with all forms of magic. To be honest lately I have been neglecting the work I had started. I had lost my motivation and desire to do anything magical or spiritual even with the new studies I am doing. I've basically maintained my first lesson but haven't started my second lesson work yet. Though that is going to be changing. Any way back to finding what works for me.

With Micheal I have a basic call that I use when I am working with him. I mostly use protection work with him. Hes been a very powerful ally in helping protect us from ourselves and those who would harm us in any way. I need to do a ritual to thank him soon and renew our relationship. Though I do have a shrine/altar set up for him.

Now that I have some income I am going to be able to buy some books associated specifically with angelic magic and other Hoodoo practices. I'm also going to buy a reference book by a well known Feri witchcraft author. With that book and Starhawk's Spiral DanceI will be able to get a lot more out of the work I am doing. I had read both texts before buy had no context for the concepts they were talking about. Now I do and can use both more effectively.
treef0lk wrote:And to the OP, hoodoo is usually more associated with Protestant concepts and practices, so keep that in mind in your work as you might run into the Catholic vs Protestant issue in what you're doing.
That depends on region in the south really. There are areas that are more Catholic than others (New Orleans I've heard is a very Catholic based practice which makes sense as the French statistically were more Catholic than protestant). So like all styles of folk magic there are some regional influences in play. In general I would agree with your statement though as most Christians are Protestant of some sort and most Hoodoo practitioners are Christian of some form.

I do feel that I as a witch can practice Hoodoo. I know that its already influenced my witchcraft to an extent. I feel that Hoodoo offers me a lot that I was missing in regards to having some sort of practical working basis. Most of the new modern witchcraft workings I have read and explored and tried haven't really worked for me. So I needed something more. Something different.

Hoodoo is also helping me regain a part of my childhood spiritual truths, the truths of angelic forces and that they do listen. Hoodoo is also helping me connect with my ancestors a bit more. My Catholic ancestors are good at helping me contact saints or at least have said they will help me when I start to work with more saints and angels. They prayed to them regularly in life so they knew them.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Olde topic

Have you seen or heard of the archangels being petitioned in HooDoo? Yes, Sts Micheal, Raphael, & Gabriel are Archangels
Do you work with any of the Saints in petitions? Yes
Have you heard about working with the prophets in the bible? Not yet

My favorite religious medal has symbols of Archangel St Michael spearing a demon on one side and a Guardian Angel helping a child cross a bridge on the other. Both angels are protective & recognized in the RC church, with novena candles at stores & prayer booklets.

I know my Guardian Angel has saved me from serious accidents on more than one occasion. I can picture the poor thing with a tilted halo, an arm in a sling & one cockeyed wing.
https://www.amazon.com/Collection-Micha ... 1103&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Collection-Micha ... 21103&th=1

Return to “Folk Magick”