Ceremonial Magick practices in Wicca and Witchcraft

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
random417

Re: Ceremonial Magick practices in Wicca and Witchcraft

Post by random417 »

I'd say it counts when the intent is to use the rituals in a ceremonial context. Like, the LBRP would count for a Hermetic styled group, but not as much for a group that doesn't use much other ceremony. DarkMoon, agreed on the LBR v. Star Ruby.

As far as solitary work goes... The individuals work, it's the important part. I mostly practice solitary myself, at least until recently
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

Yes, the Great Work, so to speak.... What are you working at the moment, Random, if you don't mind me asking ? halfsm
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
random417

Post by random417 »

I've always been kabbalistically inclined. Right now I'm just starting an exploration of spheres within spheres from a pathworking or astral working viewpoint. My personal stuff kabbalistically has kind of come to a point where I'm getting a lot out of teaching, so I'm focused there.

I'm also working on... Hmm.... simplifying is the wrong word, how about streamlining my practice right now. I have a tendency to overcomplicate things, if you couldn't tell
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

-Dark-Moon- wrote:Sometimes I think it's a good idea to keep things as simple as possible for yourself ... If you practice one thing and try to master it, at least you have one thing that you can rely on that you are proficient in. Scrying with crystal, water, a black tv screen, whatever, does help you access that 'inner eye' a little easier. Wearing moonstone or labradorite might help too.
Like I said I'm going to reapply to my tradition for training (I still have dedicant status) to begin that again and I've been give contact information on Feri tradition training as well. The Temple training is more about psychic development than its religious practices, at least in the first degree. Though there is defiantly spirit contact and work starting here. Its all related to the various mysteries of each element. The first degree is Fire.

The exercises I mention are really effective in training how to get into an altered state of mind to practice and visualize magic any time and any place. I can do this and have done it effectively. However my skills at containing the mental focus are not where they were so I need to build it up again. It will just take time, patience and effort.

I can scry with fire fairly easy. Its something that has come naturally to me. Though getting the place as dark as I would like for it to work effectively can be difficult. There is something about the dancing of candle flames that relaxes me and lets me see something. Water is another one I can be good with. Though it needs to be dark water for it to really work (I typically used ponds, lakes, and ocean for it).

One of the reasons I mention this is that I performed the LBRP recently and was not able to see the flames and the pentacles as well as I had before. I could still feel the power but I couldn't see them like I did and I missed that visual connection in my mind and my rituals. So for me to develop my skills again will help me feel much more confident in myself and my abilities again. I've been working magic without it but its not the same to me. It seems like something is missing.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

-Dark-Moon- wrote:Agreed that LBRP and middle pillar are almost sterotypes. The LBRP is less of a banishing ritual but more about a gaining of consciousness.
There is definitely a sense of power in the space created. It can be powerful for creating the space you want. At least that is one aspect of how I was taught we can use the LBRP. Like all rituals there are a few dimensions and ways to utilize the ritual.

I dont disagree with the gaining and changing of consciousness through the ritual. I found that my body and my awareness of my surroundings as well as my intuition were in a higher state as I performed the ritual. The Quablistic Cross aspect of the ritual for me is really this part of it. You are connecting to a supreme Godhead through this ritual. You are connecting with your aspect of the divine spark and mind in that ritual.

I was giddy after working the ritual yesterday afternoon. I felt power return. I also felt an awareness of what I could do at that moment to work magic and still have it be effective. I felt I could pray and connect more powerfully with angelic powers (Micheal) and Moses in this state as well as my ancestors. Basically I was more connected in that ritual mind than I had been in a while.
-Dark-Moon- wrote:If you're concerned with banishing anything then I like the Star Ruby.
The Star Ruby Ritual?
-Dark-Moon- wrote: You don't have to be a member of an order to practice ceremonial magic. In fact, many people practice in a solitary fashion.
It does seem that some rituals and magical workings might be better suited to a grop setting, but that can be said about basically any magical and spiritual working tradition and practice. I do think like anything there are benefits to doing the workings in groups and benefits to solitary working.

I know I wouldn't have dared to perform the LBRP had I not been instructed in its performance by another person. I had read the ritual a few times over the years and wanted to learn it. The aspect of how the names and the words needed to be vibrated a specific way was one of the reasons I held back. Now I just let the vibrations flow as they will out of my soul. Its almost musical here.

I guess training options increase in groups and lodges but solitary training can be just as powerful.
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

Random, you mean teaching Kabbalah, or just teaching generally? I presume you mean the former? There certainly is something to be said for streamlining things... I find it hard to fight the urge to read 3 books at once... The body connection is important as well as the mind connection which is something I need to constantly remind myself of, and that's totally not meant in a new agey way,... More just a 'not getting stuck solely in my head' way..

Loona yes remember the flames or whatever will only serve as a focal point for your own ability so choose any tool u like. Seems like that would be a great way to work fireside and certainly a nice cosy one as I think you guys are in winter? The mental focus thing really is something that is a real process that your brain has to develop. It's also actually protective in the long run. Pet/spect scans of the brains of meditating Tibetan monks demonstrate that there really is a biological correlation to what's going on in there and that takes practice and time to master. Don't be too hard on yourself as your brain literally needs time to do the appropriate remodelling.
random417

Post by random417 »

@DarkMoon, both, but primarily kabbalah. My Order teaches in "modules" so you can learn about things that are of specific use or interest. I'm teaching the kabbalah one, but also helping with our 101 classes.

With the idea of streamlining, in my case, comes the idea that ritual itself is just another tool, and that I should be able to do without some of the old friends if you will... I did a circle casting without a Opening By Watchtower for the first time in years the other day, for example. I know I'm working more simply than I will, but I have to remind myself I can, so to speak.

I have a tradition, to build mind body spirit, that I always have a goal in each. Right now, I'm working with my body on quitting smoking. My body is a little pissed at me right now, but when we've recovered, we're going to start exercising again.
random417

Post by random417 »

@loona - the Star Ruby was Crowley's answer to the LBRP, and isn't as versatile, but it's way better at banishing.
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

Random, I can't believe you are smoking. You demon you. halfsm Really wish you all the best with quitting that.
You don't need it. What's your magical approach?

Seriously though, I grow as much of my own food as I can... Turns out money DOES grow on trees! Those liars! It's amazing what you can grow just in pots. You don't even have to buy the plants, just plant a tomato in a pot of dirt and you're away!

It pays to think about what you're putting into your body, I don't even drink caffeine anymore. Decaf is just as nice though. You do reach a pretty pure state of being depending on how you eat and all those lifestyle things. Sorry if I'm sounding like a preachy hippie here, but I'm just passionate about it.
random417

Post by random417 »

I'm fortunate enough to get to be the one at home with the baby, and so I'm home most of the time. That means for cravings I can do an LBRP. I'm also starting some NLP work (basically a mantra, but they structure them a bit different) nightly.

I'm in an apartment, so my choices of what to grow here are a but limited. I love getting roped into gardening at my mom's though
random417

Post by random417 »

Caffeine, now that's a different thing... Coffee has an important symbolic significance for my group, but I don't really drunk caffeine outside of that anymore
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

random417 wrote:I'd say it counts when the intent is to use the rituals in a ceremonial context. Like, the LBRP would count for a Hermetic styled group, but not as much for a group that doesn't use much other ceremony.
Ceremony and ritual are interesting things. Different cultures view rituals and ceremonies differently. Germanic rituals a very simple and may lack ceremony to some yet to them its full of it. The same can be said for some of the rituals found in various forms of traditional witchcraft.

So I guess context would matter here for what defines ritual and what defines ceremony. There are ceremonies that are not rituals and religious and there are some rituals that are not religious (like going out and getting your license is a ritual or rite of passage not related to religion). While there is definitely crossovers and connections between the two in both religion & spiritual use as well as in cultural uses I think they can also be their own things. It all depends on what is being done, culture, and the like.

I have started to use the LBRP again on its own for my own purposes. My spirit and my power soars when I perform the rite. I don't use all the ceremonial tools or anything. Sometimes I just use my hands. Other times I use my wand. I actually don't know if I have ever used my athame or any ritual blade in the ritual. I'm thinking about using a sword for calling Micheal and fire. That;s also because I am going to bless and consecrate the sword with his essence and power for protection over my home. Its also going to serve as a focal point for touching his energy. But that's a subject for ritual tools.
random417 wrote:As far as solitary work goes... The individuals work, it's the important part. I mostly practice solitary myself, at least until recently
By the individuals work do you mean the personal work in connecting with THE ALL or Great spirit/ ultimate divine force that is within us and them at the same time?
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

-Dark-Moon- wrote:Loona yes remember the flames or whatever will only serve as a focal point for your own ability so choose any tool u like. Seems like that would be a great way to work fireside and certainly a nice cosy one as I think you guys are in winter?
Oh yeah. Old Man Winter and the Lady of the Snow have shown us they are not done with us. Here in Maine we view the month of march as basically coming in like a lion and going out like a lamb. Winter in Maine lasts basically from mid November at time to mid April.

If I had a home fireplace with a mantle I certainly would be doing some scrying work there. Unfortunately I have no fireplace here. So I use candles. Occasionally I may actually burn something in my cauldron, but that is typically done outside. I prefer when working with fire scrying to have a nice campfire that I build from start to finish. That way I can talk to the flames and the wood going into the fire blessing them and really working with them.
-Dark-Moon- wrote:The mental focus thing really is something that is a real process that your brain has to develop. It's also actually protective in the long run. Pet/spect scans of the brains of meditating Tibetan monks demonstrate that there really is a biological correlation to what's going on in there and that takes practice and time to master. Don't be too hard on yourself as your brain literally needs time to do the appropriate remodelling.
It doesn't take as long when you were already there. Its just a refocus and reworking. The paths are there. They just lay in use just not zipping as strongly as they did before if that makes any sense. Self hypnosis is an excellent way to retrain those skills and is the foundation of the Inner Temple of witchcraft.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

random417 wrote:@loona - the Star Ruby was Crowley's answer to the LBRP, and isn't as versatile, but it's way better at banishing.
Hmmm. I'll have to look at my book on Thelema rituals. I think it was in there. I asked because it sounded familiar like I had read about it before but couldn't really place it. You have to keep in mind how many named rituals I have read about in the 15 years I have been reading and studying. The LBRP is the only cm one I have actually been trained in/exposed to in reality.
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

@Loona, do you know what goes on in the higher degrees of the OTO? Your fiancé wouldn't mind?

Why would you want to introject such a dysfunctional, misogynistic personality as Aleister Crowleys? There are prettier birds in the forest, IMHO.

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”