Green Witchcraft: Questions I have

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
MysticDreamFaerie

Green Witchcraft: Questions I have

Post by MysticDreamFaerie »

I'm very interested in this religion; I've read on many accounts that it's the same as Shamanism cause they concentrate most on spirit animals, spirit faeries and use a lot of they're magic from herbs. I read a little bit about this religion but I'm still have some questions about this religion and wanted to ask to clarify things a little first before I began purchasing books. Here's a few of my questions.

~Do they use crystals in their practices?
~Does Green Witchcraft use totems too or is it only for Shaman's?
~Is it possible to combine both of these practices together?
~If anyone else has studied this religion: Would you say this is helpful to your everyday life. If so, how?

These are rather silly questions I know, but I like hearing people's opinions before I purchase books.

And lastly:
~What are the most important tools for this religion?
Example: Candles? Tarot Cards? Sage? Meditation?
"Healing takes courage, and we all have courage, even if we have to dig a little to find it." ~Tori Amos
Heartsong

Re: Green Witchcraft: Questions I have

Post by Heartsong »

I considered myself a Green Witch, and in my practice, I have used crystals (although I work mainly with herbs). I've never used totems, but I think that, if it feels right to you, you can certainly do so. I also think that there are indeed shamanic elements in Green Witchcraft, so it isn't a stretch for me to think that you could combine the two.

I don't really consider being a Green Witch a religion as much as a spirituality. Religion just seems too dogmatic a term for something as fluid as witchcraft. That being said, I do feel that practicing green witchcraft has been beneficial in my personal growth as an individual and as a pagan. Every day, I feel a deeper connection with the earth, and more at peace with myself and the world around me than I have been in a long time.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I agree with Heartsong. To me its a path of spirituality not a religion per say.

I guess I could be called a Green Witch. I work mostly with herbs, essential oils, elements, nature and crystals/gems/stones.

I also take in a little of the shamanism but not a lot.

Your practice can be anything you want. You can borrow from one path and others as you feel called.
Bran th' Blessed

Post by Bran th' Blessed »

I agree with what has been said above by others, not only as regards Green Witchcraft but as a general statement. There are certain traditions of Wicca and the Craft that have a dogma (not in the bad sense of that word). You can only be initiated into such traditions by one who well knows the dogmatic beliefs and practices of that tradition. This ensures to some extent that the tradition is protected from the incursion of sloppy and eclectic beliefs and practices and that it holds true to its initial vision. Gardnerian Wicca is a fine example of such a guarded tradition. I hope you can understand how both secrecy and dogma serve a valid purpose of keeping true to the vision of their tradition. If you can't understand it, you probably have a very naive view of humanity. I mean, we're wonderful beings, but we are unique individuals with our own unique take on just about anything. Most of us would not hesitate to rewrite the national constitution, the works of William Shakespeare, and (God knows!) the Bible. And all the rest of us need a lot of work on self-image. :-)

But tell me who created Green Witchcraft. Who holds its inner secrets? Who is uniquely qualified to initiate you into those inner secrets of the trad? No-one I know of. (Correct me if I'm O so wrong.) Greencraft is a concept religion, an eclectic tradition that yes, does combine witchcraft and shamanism, including Asian shamanism and North American Indian shamanism, and down home hoodoo and rootworking, and love for animals wild and furry, and for herbs and weeds and tree bark, and all the many spirit folk of nature. But if you don't find a teacher you respect, you have to teacher yourself, and make it up as you go along with only mama nature for your mentor and your guide--but you could do worse, eh?

Bran th' Blessed
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

MysticDreamer_Sam wrote:I'm very interested in this religion; I've read on many accounts that it's the same as Shamanism cause they concentrate most on spirit animals, spirit faeries and use a lot of they're magic from herbs.
Green witchcraft does lead itself to plant shamanism (working with plant spirits) as well as the spirits of nature. Depending on exactly how you define Green witchcraft there are all sorts of spirits that you could work with.

Shamanism for me is a spirit path that deals with a lot of out of body work in the realms of the spirits. So for me shamanism can be a part of basically any form of religion and spiritual practice. It can also be its own path. For me with shamanism and witchcraft I look at hedge witchery as that is a style of witchcraft heavily based on trance work and spirit communication.
MysticDreamer_Sam wrote:
~Do they use crystals in their practices?
I don't see why not. If it is something you are interested in working with or do work with then use it. Crystals are just as much a part of the earth as the plants and animals are. They provide a different sort of nature connection. Though my understanding is that it is mostly based on plants green things that grow.
MysticDreamer_Sam wrote: ~Does Green Witchcraft use totems too or is it only for Shaman's?
Again why not. Many witchcraft paths work with spirit guides of various forms. So they might not call it a totem. You may hear the term spirit animal familiar or spirit familiar. The term familiar is more often used in witchcraft to mean various animal spirits that work with witches.
MysticDreamer_Sam wrote: ~Is it possible to combine both of these practices together?
Yes it is. Shamanism and witchcraft work very well together. Hedge witchcraft uses shamanic trance practices as well as herbal magic to work with spirits and other work. It is important to remember that like any form of witchcraft Green witchcraft will be very personal. So if there are things not really normally in Green witchcraft that you like to work with (examples may include crystal work and animal spirit work) then go ahead and do them. The path of the witch is one of personal effectiveness and personal choices. Use what works for you and what you are attracted to.
MysticDreamer_Sam wrote: ~If anyone else has studied this religion: Would you say this is helpful to your everyday life. If so, how?
I don't consider myself a green witch but I have read Ann Mouras books on it. I think like anything else it can be helpful in your day to day life depending on how much of your spirituality you put into your day to day life. Its a way of connecting to the universe and the world around you like any other spiritual path. Its up to you how much you put into your day to day life.
MysticDreamer_Sam wrote:These are rather silly questions I know, but I like hearing people's opinions before I purchase books.
There is no such thing as a silly question.
MysticDreamer_Sam wrote: ~What are the most important tools for this religion?
Example: Candles? Tarot Cards? Sage? Meditation?
I think that is going to differ from witch to witch. you have to remember that no form of witchcraft is really going to be the same for everyone that practices it. The basic tools would probably be a knife for gathering plants with and for cutting, a grinder or mortar and pestal, candles, storage containers, and any other ritual tool you can think of. You can have a blade for summoning the elements if you want or you can use the same knife for cutting your plants as you would for ritual work.

I hope this helped you.

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”