Crafting your own tools

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
ThowCi

Re: Crafting your own tools

Post by ThowCi »

I've made my athame handle, wand, and built my own altar. I still have more to do to the athame, though.While I kind of just 'winged' it with the athame and altar, the wand took much longer.

I'm very early into paganism and really wasn't sure what to use for a wand. I researched it of course, but didn't have much luck finding suitable branches whenever I looked. I didn't want to cut one from a tree and it seemed like when I found a 'suitable' candidate, there was something about it I didn't like. It kind of drove my wife nuts I think!

I had went to a local park as there are several weeping willows scattered around (I wanted a willow branch). I walked around for a good while and only found one suitable candidate. I didn't take it though and I can't really say why. It just didn't feel right at the time. Couldn't really explain it and still can't. What's strange about it is that I returned a couple of weeks later as I know they clean the branches up regularly and I thought it might be easier to spot another possible wand. This time they hadn't and the branch was still there. I went down to it and picked it up. I ended up walking around for some time just enjoying the day. It wasn't until I returned to my car that I realized I still had the branch! I seriously didn't even think about it. It's like it was just naturally part of me. That's when I knew I had my wand. Why it felt different that second time, I don't know. Like I said, I'm not that far along my path.

It's just a de-barked willow branch with a slight curve. I stained it slightly but haven't done anything else to it. I don't feel like I need to just yet.

ThowC
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Love your wand story ThowC, it sounds like it found you!
@RavenClaw, you have been on the path for some time, apparently before you even knew it ! It's nice to make our own tools, definitely gives more energy and power to them.
@ SpiritTalker, I see those wooded discs at the Home Depot and thought of making Pentacles to sell, but haven't done it yet.
My disc husband cut from a pine plank and I etched a star onto it, I've been long meaning to woodburn something around the edge (it's about 3/4 of and inch thick) but after what...20 years? guess that's not happening...LoL.
What does one do to make them personally yours?, Well the crafting of your own tool is about enough to make it very personal. I have anointed mine with holy water and oil and ***** but since we don't mention a certain bodily fluid, I think ones own tears would suffice as a very personal connection to your tool.
Also unless a tool is designated for group use, don't let anyone handle these personal items.
BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
BlackMirror

Post by BlackMirror »

I make whatever I can. I bought a broom and my knives. I make all my own incense. I also try to grow most of my plant/ herbs.
RavenClaw

Post by RavenClaw »

I wanted a bell for altar work and all I saw were dinner and jingle bells which didn't sound right. I kinda gave up until I decorated the Christmas tree. As I hung up a couple of black liberty style bells, I rang one and the sound had the right tone. Now that I have a bell, all I need to do is make a stand for it but not sure at this point if I'll use willow or small deer antlers. It's funny how things manifest when I'm not looking.
Knowledge without understanding is not wisdom. (An excerpt from a message I channeled from a Deity.)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

A walking staff can be easily concealed as a walking stick. It is a super easy tool to craft yourself,
with a small saw, a pocket-knife and some sandpaper, possibly other adornments, you can have a magical tool along with every hike or walk in the park!

Find a branch that feels good. The height is a personal preference, although a typical magical staff is a full head higher than you stand. My favorite ones have been about shoulder high, that way there may be several places on the stave that you can place your hand.
Trim the ends to meet your height need, then whittle off any bark you wish to remove and sand to a smooth finish, you can probably achieve what you need with a 250 grit sandpaper. Cut a notch to hang a talisman or charm or carve a sigil or symbol somewhere on the branch.
Oil the finished branch with linseed oil or lemon oil. Actually, most essential oils would work but you may want to add your essential oil to a carrier oil like maybe coconut oil or olive oil, then you can get the energy of the oils without depleting your whole bottle. :P rub well with the oil and wipe off any excess.

Use your staff to cut a circle, draw pentacles and wards or etch magical runes, ogham or other signs in the earth, it can also act as actual protection if you are approached by a wild person or animal as well a tool for scrambling over rocks down the trail.
bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”