Butternut Squash Soup

Share your recipes and food tips here.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Butternut Squash Soup

Post by Xiao Rong »

Image from the original recipe

Mmmm .... This was crazy delicious! A little sweet and also savory, creamy smooth, best when piping hot ... I made this last night (excuse to use up some squash I had lying around and to test out my immersion blender), and the Food and Recipes forum needs a little bit of love, I think ...

Ingredients

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 onion, diced
4 cups cubed butternut squash, fresh or frozen
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add carrot, celery and onion. Cook until vegetables have begun to soften and onion turns translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in butternut squash, thyme, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until squash is fork-tender, about 30 minutes. Use an immersion blender to purée soup. Alternatively, let the soup cool slightly and carefully purée in batches in an upright blender.

Magical Properties

Of course, this is a delicious, nourishing soup regardless of magical intent - perfect for a cold winter night, paired with some bread and salad. But if you're interested in the magical properties of this recipe ...

Butternut Squash: Can't find too much about squash's magical uses; Scott Cunningham says squash is good for spirituality and is associated with fire, which is just what you need for the winter.
Carrot: clarity, fertility
Celery: peace, relaxation, grounding
Chicken (broth): health, healing, fertility, nurturing
Onion: Protection, fertility, health
Thyme: Dreams, sleep, protection, psychic vision
Salt: Protection, banishment

All in all, it would appear that this soup is great for health, fertility, and clarity.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Kassandra

Re: Butternut Squash Soup

Post by Kassandra »

Oh, this is good. I made some before and even the "but I don't like squash" people in the house couldn't get enough, hehe.

SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Butternut Squash Soup

Post by SpiritTalker »

Bumped 2020

Return to “Food and Recipes”