Witches. What kind of ink do you use in your Book of Shadows

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
TwilightDancer

Witches. What kind of ink do you use in your Book of Shadows

Post by TwilightDancer »

I'm just curious to know what everyone writes with in their BOS. If you feel like sharing. Up until now I've always used a regular pen. But I've recently received a few bottles of Bat's Blood Ink and a few feather quills from a friend. I love the look of quill writing so i'm pretty exited to start using em.
What kind of ink do you guys use?

Blessed Be :flyingwitch:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Echo_of_shadows

Re: Witches. What kind of ink do you use in your Book of Sha

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

I usually write with what's handy, especially when I come up with something new and I want to write it down before I forget. I do have both a pen and a pencil my former high priestess gave all the coveners that she had blessed specifically for writing in our Books of Shadows. I used to use the pencil quite a bit, but I haven't seen it in months. :? The pen doesn't really see the light of day because I'm just not a pen user unless it's the erasable kind. halfsm
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

My personal Book of Shadows is actually not that fancy, haha! I just use a Sharpie pen. But if you are going to be using a dip pen or a quill, I would be mindful about the properties of the ink and the paper you use. I don't know anything personally about Bat's Blood ink, but if you are planning on making your BoS a beautiful work of art to use throughout the years, any inks that you use should be archival quality and light-fast to prevent fading over the years and when exposed to light. Some kinds of inks, such as iron gall ink, will eat right through the paper due to high acidity, so you should also research your inks if you can. The colorful inks you buy in art stores are often dye-based, and while they are bright and beautiful when you first use them, I am told that the dye will fade rather quickly. If you are looking to illuminate your BoS or write in colors, the surest way to do it is mixing up some gouache paint (which I have not personally done).

Your paper should also be acid-free; otherwise, the paper itself will tend to yellow and age (and NOT in a good way!).

I am working on my coven's Book of Shadows, and I have had great results with Higgins Eternal ink, which should be available in most art stores. It is archival and light-fast, though NOT waterproof -- found that out the hard way. It is also reasonably inexpensive - $5 for a bottle, and I've been practicing calligraphy for several months and I've not even used a third of the bottle. I also typically use some multimedia/watercolor paper that I know is acid free. I have some sheets of Bristol Vellum (NOT made of real animal skins) that I am going to be trying soon! My materials aren't particularly "witchy", but they'll get the job done. I'll try to post some pictures of it soon.

If you are NOT too worried about your BoS lasting for years to come, then you can substitute any number of inks. Seraphin has some pictures of the beautiful results he's obtained with an ink made out of tea for a temporary sigil.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

I use the Pilot Gel rollers in black. Though I use either the .05mm or the .07mm size. I dont use any other type of pen in my BOS. These pens allow me to write clearer and cleaner than any other pen. So I have these. I keep them on the altar when not in use,
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I keep mine in my head. I used to keep my work schedule in my head too, until the day I almost forgot to go see a patient. Maybe I need to visit a stationery shop and get some pretty paper and ink.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

Xiao Rong wrote: Your paper should also be acid-free; otherwise, the paper itself will tend to yellow and age (and NOT in a good way!).

I am working on my coven's Book of Shadows, and I have had great results with Higgins Eternal ink, which should be available in most art stores. It is archival and light-fast, though NOT waterproof -- found that out the hard way. It is also reasonably inexpensive - $5 for a bottle, and I've been practicing calligraphy for several months and I've not even used a third of the bottle.

Thanks for the recommendation. Honestly I hadn't though about how my book would hold up over a 20+ year period, and I certainly plan on passing it along. I guess my book will be getting an upgrade real soon. lol :fairy:

loona wynd wrote: These pens allow me to write clearer and cleaner than any other pen.
Good point
SnowCat wrote:I keep mine in my head. I used to keep my work schedule in my head too, until the day I almost forgot to go see a patient. Maybe I need to visit a stationery shop and get some pretty paper and ink.

Snow
That's quite impressive. I doubt I could ever remember my entire BoS perfectly. For the same reason I don't put it online. I need to have it right in front of me. :evilwitch:
Echo_of_shadows wrote:I usually write with what's handy, especially when I come up with something new and I want to write it down before I forget.
Same here. Ideas tend to pop out of nowhere which leaves little time for it to look fancy. :fairy:
After all this time, my book's had some wear and tear. I'm definitely going to have to upgrade. Thanks for the ideas and sharing your personal methods.

Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Xiao Rong wrote: Your paper should also be acid-free; otherwise, the paper itself will tend to yellow and age (and NOT in a good way!).
Hmmm. I wonder if they make acid free white lined paper. I use your typical three ring binder notebook paper for my BOS. I like the use of the lines because it allows me to write smoothly and evenly spaced across the pages. The fact that my writing is neat with the lines is important to me. I want my book to be readable by people other than myself (meaning any students I may take on as well as family member and friends).
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hmmm. I wonder if they make acid free white lined paper. I use your typical three ring binder notebook paper for my BOS. I like the use of the lines because it allows me to write smoothly and evenly spaced across the pages. The fact that my writing is neat with the lines is important to me. I want my book to be readable by people other than myself (meaning any students I may take on as well as family member and friends).
I'm not sure if acid free white lined paper is particularly common ... but I know what you mean about wanting lines so that it's neat and readable! Otherwise my writing will start drifting all over the page ... So as a (hobbyist) calligrapher, I can tell you that people often manually line their paper with a T-square, an Ames lettering guide, and a pencil. It's a huge hassle, though, to manually line the paper, then erase all the pencil markings. To save myself time, I invested in a lightbox (this is the model I have), so you can place a template behind the sheet of paper you're writing on, so that way the backlighting lets you see the lines on the template without having to actually manually line it yourself. It's a bit pricey, but it's a timesaver and the easiest way (in my opinion) to get the benefits of both lined paper and acid free paper.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Nightwatcher

Post by Nightwatcher »

I first write in mechanical pencil, then "ink" it with just a black pen. Nothing special or fancy. My handwriting is legible but not particularly pretty or special. :/
wiccangurl4

Post by wiccangurl4 »

I write in whatever color pen I have ..its not fancy at all just a three ringed binder. I also use my tablet as a sort of BOS finding all of my information online. I decorated the cover and its pretty cool. But yeah just regular ink and lined paper..its a lot of information.
missmelodygrace

Post by missmelodygrace »

I'm a little old fashioned. I use pen and ink. It can be messy and at times I get ink smudges everywhere but I just turn the smudges into to some doodle.
I have several colour inks which I match up to what I'm writing about. I just want my B.O.S to be special and as I write with biro and pencil all the time it makes it more special to have something I use just for my B.O.S
Laugh your head off, dance in the rain.
Cherish all moments, ignore all the pain.
Live, Laugh, Love, forgive and forget,
Life is too short to live with regret.
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

Printer ink, hand-written on reg. paper with blue ink,
black ink, light blue ink, red ink, purple ink...
I try to use certain colors for different subjects...
then I got confused.
I use only erasable ink pens, I make a lot of
mistakes cause my mind goes faster than my hand !
I've got fountain pen and ink, but I have to get better
at writing without mistakes-yeah right !
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz

Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

I hand write in my dream journal but I use printer ink for my BOS. I scrape book so I tend to print what I need to and then add pics or dried herb/flowers.
sebjon

Post by sebjon »

I use a fountain pen with iroshizuku ink: Image
Silversong
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow (if the rainbow is in Oregon)

Post by Silversong »

TwilightDancer wrote:I'm just curious to know what everyone writes with in their BOS. If you feel like sharing. Up until now I've always used a regular pen. But I've recently received a few bottles of Bat's Blood Ink and a few feather quills from a friend. I love the look of quill writing so i'm pretty exited to start using it.
What kind of ink do you guys use?

Printer ink x3

Seriously, though, my aunt did a lot of our BoS, and it's largely computer formatted. I have a digital version on my flashdrive, which is very handy at times. When I'm not printing it from the digital version, I write in pencil because I hate writing in pen -.- I'm guaranteed to make a dumb mistake and be unable to fix it.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”