Remembering Andy

Share thoughts, poetry, feelings about the loss of a loved one (pets included).
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Remembering Andy

Post by Xiao Rong »

I'm still in shock -- I found out about 10 minutes ago. Every day I take public transit to work. It's a small town, and only a few buses, so I chat with the bus drivers and get to know them a little bit. One of them I'll call Andy. He's a great guy, always sporting a baseball cap and a big ol' mustache, who always shouts, "HEY, XIAO!" (with my real name of course) when I get on the bus. He's such a warm and friendly person with this great sense of humor; he never fails to bring a smile to my face. he loves canoeing, birdwatching, and cold winter days when the world is blanketed in snow. I know he brings smiles to a lot of passengers, even though he doesn't know them well. Not that I was very close to him, but you can tell that he's just a ray of sunshine that always brightens up even the gloomiest winter days.

Today I learned from another one of the bus drivers that he died last week. He'd been in and out of work the past few months, and I hadn't seen him in a while, but I didn't think too much of it (figured he might be on vacation or visiting his grandchildren or something). But apparently he had been feeling really ill, and two weeks ago he went to the doctor and discovered he had leukemia with less than a week to live. It happened so fast. But in his last week, he wrote his fellow bus drivers a good-bye letter, as well as his own obituary (which is due to come out tomorrow; he promised it would be hilarious. Just goes to show you the kind of guy he is!) I know he wouldn't want anyone to make a fuss over him (he also didn't want a memorial) ... I still plan on lighting a candle for him when I get home. We weren't close or anything, but I still wish I could have gotten a chance to pay my respects and say goodbye. He was a good man, and I know he lived a long, rich life filled with humor and joy, surrounded by his loved ones.

Thanks, Andy, for just being a warm light in the world. Wherever you are, I know you'll be happy. You'll be missd.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Heartsong

Re: Remembering Andy

Post by Heartsong »

He sounds like he was a great person to be around. It's always wonderful to meet people who are so warm and genuinely friendly. Sending love and light to his family, and to you, Xiao.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Aww, that's so sad. ): I'm sorry, sending light and love to everyone effected. ):
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Thank you both for the kind words!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I'm sorry Xiao. Isn't it interesting the people that touch our lives on a daily basis? I'm sure the paths that cross are put there for a benift that we might not notice, recognize or consider, but there is something always to be gleaned by casual aquatentces. He sounds like a good character and I imagine you will have taken something positive to your heart from your paths crossing. Remember him with those stories when Samhain comes along.
blessings to you and to Andy
FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

I'm sorry Xiao. Isn't it interesting the people that touch our lives on a daily basis? I'm sure the paths that cross are put there for a benefit that we might not notice, recognize or consider, but there is something always to be gleaned by casual acquaintances. He sounds like a good character and I imagine you will have taken something positive to your heart from your paths crossing. Remember him with those stories when Samhain comes along.
blessings to you and to Andy
Thanks, FF, that means a lot to me. I will indeed remember him come Samhain ...
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

I'm sorry for your loss, Xiao. He sounds like a fun guy. Hearing that you only have a week to live would be devastating.

I'm curious about his obituary now that you've said it would be hilarious. Did you see it?

(Sorry I'm stalking your posts. I'll move along after this one, lol.)
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Oh, no, I couldn't find a copy of his obituary, unfortunately. I'll keep looking; maybe one of his friends has a copy I can read. But thanks for the kind words, Star!
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

Our local paper has all the obits in the online paper.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Andy may not have been able to save the world, but he made a difference to the people on his bus. If you can make a diifference in one person's life, you've done your job. You make a difference for us here Xiao.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Thanks, Snow! That's really sweet of you to say.

Star, I did find his obit on the website after all! I think they posted it later than I thought, but it was sweet and funny, just like Andy was. What a great guy. He requested people to donate to a local humane society in lieu of a memorial, so I will be doing that.

Return to “In Memory Of...”