How do I begin?

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
Vulpixie

How do I begin?

Post by Vulpixie »

I know pretty much nothing about Wicca, and I am desperate to learn, but I honestly have no idea where to start. ):

So I'd like to ask, how did you start? Where did you begin and how did you do it? How do you find other like-minded people and what is the best way to be introduced into Wicca? I feel so attracted to it but I am just clueless. Any help would be so very appreciated. (:
Lillady

Re: How do I begin?

Post by Lillady »

Merry Meet Vulpixie! I was like you and always attracted to Wicca (except now that years have gone by I realize with time and much research I am Pagan and not Wiccan) I started reading about it when I was 12-13 years old ( I am now 32) when I was about 14-15 I went a little further and began practicing magick. I have found over the years that the best way to find like-minded people is to ask them. Now this doesn't mean to just start asking everyone you know, but ask probing questions and start a real intellectual kind of conversation. Ask open-ended questions, really listen to what they tell you so you can feel what is coming off of their Aura. In time you will learn how to read people and if they are true to their beliefs, or just saying things to appease you. Seeing you are clueless (don't worry most of us are when we begin such a journey) my number one suggestion is to Read, Read and Read more. There is sooooo much information online, in books etc. Here I am over 20 years later and am still learning. I suggest: "Wicca, A Guide for the Solitary Pracititioner," by Scott Cunningham and "To RIde A SIlver Broomstick" by Silver Ravenwolf. I hope this helps you. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Blessed Be.
dgriffi93

Post by dgriffi93 »

Lillady is spot on. You will hear this often, but it's important: Read, read, read. Here's a few PDF of books found online for free as Lillady mentioned:

Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft -
http://cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/religi ... hcraft.pdf

Wicca A Guide for the Solitary Practioner -
https://cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/relig ... tioner.pdf

A Witche's Bible: The Complete Witches' Handbook -
http://www.oldways.org/documents/alexan ... _bible.pdf 404 ERROR
Try https://www.yumpu.com/xx/document/view/ ... ead-online

There's many more of these for free and pretty easy to find. Google essentials books for Wicca, and then google the names of the books followed by "pdf". I gained really good knowledge just by doing this.

I also agree with Lillady about asking questions to find like-minded people. It's a great way to learn and to network.

Good luck and Blessed Be
Last edited by SpiritTalker on Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replace expired link for Cunningham & Farrar
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I started by reading everything I could find about magick, energy workings and such. It was probably not the best idea as after reading about million books, I discovered there is a lot of crap in most of them and you need to learn the basics before dabbling into any spellwork or energy work at all. But to tell you the truth, I can discard the crap now and gather the useful stuff, so I guess my method helped a little. Just to clarify, I am not a Wiccan and never have been particularly interested in Wicca, still I have read some incredible books about it.
I would add to the above great books " A complete idiot's guide to Wicca and Witchcraft" and "Candle Magic for Beginners: The Simplest Magic You Can Do" by Richard Webster. Also, you might want to try and work with some divination tools - pendulum is a good way to start. It helps with concentration too.
The idea of communicating with knowledgeable people is fantastic. And remember - the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. There are many people here who are happy to help with whatever you need help with.
Vulpixie

Post by Vulpixie »

Thankyou everyone, I am getting the impression that books are definitely the best place to start! I love reading anyway so this is excellent news haha ^_^ I shall definitely look for and read the books you have recommended and it is so nice to meet you all and thankyou for your help! <3
RoseRed92

Post by RoseRed92 »

I'm just beginning as well... Right now I'm going through Timothy Roderick's "Wicca: A Year and a Day" and reading up on spells and meditations that I can do daily.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Old FAQ - how to begin

Build Skills
. Read :D about what interests you - Wicca the religion or magic; check the book review section for suggestions
. Do simple, daily meditation routine
. Go outside in Nature and engage your empathic senses to greet the genius loci
. Practice psi-balls between your hands: pull power on the breath to your belly; think-it-&-push power from the belly thru your hands 👏🏽 ; move hands back and forth to feel a subtle pushback; this is casting energy

Build Workspace
. Make a starter kit*: 🕯candles, 🥢 incense, 🍷potion cup, matches, 🧂salt, ⚱️olive oil; notes📄
. Create sacred space - meditate & fill area with good vibes; 💦cleanse, 🥢fume, ⚱️anoint & magnetize 🙌🏽 your table and
. Cast easy circle - spritz salt-water 🔄widdershins, light🥢incense, point-&-push 👉🏼 to cast
the circle ↩️deosil. Embellish as you learn more.
. Basic spell methods to know - bottle, candle, cord/knots, potions, sigils

* if you’re in the dorm use LED battery candles & aerosol mist

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”