Harry Potter & Pop Culture Magic -- Discussion Thread

Open discussion about how our beliefs have been affected by popular culture.
tourennatrix

Re: Harry Potter & Pop Culture Magic -- Discussion Thread

Post by tourennatrix »

I've been rekindling my love of Harry Potter by listening to the podcast "Harry Potter and the Sacred Text."

Oh my word is it good. During the week, they reread a chapter through the lense of a theme (forgiveness, optimism, duty, escape, etc) and then discuss where they found elements of the theme in the text. They also do a "sacred reading" where they pick a passage to dive deep into. The practices are abrahamic in tradition, but the way they do them (and the podcast as a whole) has not made me feel "othered" at any point so far. They do a great job of having a spiritual conversation without the religious specifics. In fact, both of the casters have been through chaplain school, but one of them was an athiest through most of her schooling! (An athiest Jew no less!) It's super fascinating, I would recommend the podcast to anyone who wants a good pondering.
Satara

Re: Harry Potter & Pop Culture Magic -- Discussion Thread

Post by Satara »

What an interesting topic. I just don't get how so many people are trying so hard to be offended by a story. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful story with many moral themes which we all could learn from, but at the end of the day, it's just that: a story that in no way was written to insult anyone.

Return to “Pop Culture Magic”