Cell Phones and computers within the circle?

Frequently asked questions about witchcraft, Wicca, magick, paganism, and the occult. Subjects include love spells, Ouija boards, curses, Law of Attraction, and what to do if you don't have the needed tools, ingredients, altar, etc.
Lainara

Cell Phones and computers within the circle?

Post by Lainara »

I read that this is a huge no no, but I feel I can't work without them!
I usually have pagan music playing on my iphone, or ritual instructions, (even this website) open on my computer within the circle.

I can't seem to quite get in the mood without music playing, and I have atrocious handwriting to where I can't even read what I wrote.

I definitely feel way more energy within the circle to where I feel tingly and explode into dance. Should I cut the electronics out? Is it disrespectful? I do feel a bit distracted at times and haven't been able to really feel within my heart the rituals and spells. I feel like I'm just reading. Anyhelp? :evilwitch:
LiebeUndLicht

Re: Cell Phones and computers within the circle?

Post by LiebeUndLicht »

I do the same as you, I play music on my iPod and I feel that it really relaxes me, there's some chants I've found that really help with meditation. I don't like to look at it though, as sometimes it can disrupt/distract you from the purpose of your spell/ritual.

I always have my BoS (handwritten) but I personally don't think that what you're doing is 'wrong' or 'unacceptable', I think you should do what you think is best.

So as for my opinion, try cutting out the electronics and see if it helps :D but you know what, whatever works for you is fine, everyone has different opinions. But if you feel distracted, and like you're just reading then try without. Hope this helped!
Not all scars show and not all wounds heal. Sometimes you never truly see the pain that someone feels.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

My laptop is in my ritual room and most of the time its the source of my music for rituals, or with my current training its where I get the exercises and information that I need to know what it going on. My altars are also all around my laptop with one of my altars being on the top of my desk shelf. Prior to my move I occasionally used a CD player in circles for meditations and trance work. I have found that if they are in the circle when the circle is cast than they are ok. If they are outside of the circle than things can get kinda wonky.
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

21st century Pagan !
:surprisedwitch:
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
Lainara

Post by Lainara »

Hehehe 21st century pagan! I like that!
Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to try memorizing a spell and chant and see if that helps!
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

From my favorite show! xD

I think it's definitely very common these days to have one's computer just outside (or perhaps even inside) the circle, playing music or a guided meditation or stuff like that. We even do it in our coven sometimes, haha! So long as it works for you and you're comfortable with it, it should be fine ... (I've even read in some books about technology & paganism that you can try smudging or cleansing your computer for ritual work!)
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

I like having music playing nearby, or at least something providing white noise. I haven't had any adverse effects from having electronics around the circle. Many people use music for ritual work, but not everyone has musical aptitude. If you want to raise power through song, but you can't carry a tune in a bucket, you may want to call the Beatles. ::coolglasses:: If it works for you, use it.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

Sometimes my computer is within the circle, or just out (when I cast one). Mostly for music as well, but sometimes I have ritual notes up that I have not transferred to my BoS.

Again, you have to do what works for you. These are modern times, and we live in a very technological society. In fact most witches now have their BoS completely online.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

AnaisStar wrote:Sometimes my computer is within the circle, or just out (when I cast one). Mostly for music as well, but sometimes I have ritual notes up that I have not transferred to my BoS.
This is also why I have my computer up at times. I have exercises or ritual work that has not been copied to my BOS that I need to use for reference. My computer also has all my recipes for my incenses, a lot of my files for various lessons, and much more. Its a great resource that is important to me.
AnaisStar wrote:Again, you have to do what works for you.
If there is one major lesson to take out of any and all forms of witchcraft is that in everything craft related you need to find what works for you and you alone. This is why witchcraft no matter the style or tradition is a highly personal practice. We may be influenced by others and take inspiration from something done by another witch, but in the end everything is individual and a spell or ritual written by another witch does not nessecarilly mean it will work for you.
AnaisStar wrote: These are modern times, and we live in a very technological society. In fact most witches now have their BoS completely online.
I dont know that I would say most. I would say that there are many witches that have BOS's online in the forms of blogs and what not, but I dont think its the majority of witches. I like to have a mixture of both to be honest.
ladybloodie

Post by ladybloodie »

I am torn as of yet, having music in the circle I can do. But I feel broken (so to speak)when using electronic for anything else while casting. Which stinks cause its so covenant and handy.
Lillady

Post by Lillady »

Personally I have my phone in my circle as I mediate or cast as i will listen to Celtic/Pagan music to help relax and clear my mind. I do not see anything wrong with that as its just a tool like anything else and I do not see why it would harm by using them within your circle. Kinda like having a book open so you can recall a spell while casting. No difference to me as long as its for magickal use.
Jack

Post by Jack »

My Book of Shadows is called "Evernote" and unless I'm working entirely freeform, I'm generally referring to either my phone or my tablet. No shame, IMO.
valerian moon

Post by valerian moon »

Lainara wrote:I read that this is a huge no no, but I feel I can't work without them!
I usually have pagan music playing on my iphone, or ritual instructions, (even this website) open on my computer within the circle.
i've never heard that. and same, i usually have loreena mckennit playing in the background, and if i don't write something down, i'll have it pulled up on my phone.
You may call me Valerian Moon, or simply Val.
Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

Scott Cunningham touches on this in Cunningham's Magical Sampler. His talks about how his Dad bought him a computer and at first he absolutely refused to use it for any of his magical work because he thought it would pollute his writing. However, he then thought about pen and ink and how even these were examples of technological advancement in their time. He then goes on to detail the uses of modern technology such as playing music or easily copying and sharing BoS's and states that these benefits shouldn't be shunned just because they come from a newer form of technology. Polished gemstones, matches, besoms- the lot- it's all a form of technology. He ends this chapter with 'the practice of magic is the use of applied technology. Use it wisely.'
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

I have to agree with Scott Cunningham besides if somone is worried about it why not just purify the object and place a protection crystals in front behind and on the sides of the labtop or phone. Thats how we deal with new tools and statues we get for our altars why not our technology that we touch every day some of use even work off of them for hrs on in
I purify my labtop once a month to once a week depending on if ive had a bad experience on the web that day that made me angry or sad so that that energy doesn't linger

Return to “F.A.Q.”