Too late for herb garden?

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
Pinkpower_80

Too late for herb garden?

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

I was wondering if you guys think it's too late in the year for me to start an herb garden? I can grow them in my house if need be. I have a black thumb and am so scared of killing them lol. I really want to get some lavender, mint, sage, and a few other things going. I want to grow things I can cook with, make teas, and for ritual work.
Shub Niggurath

Re: Too late for herb garden?

Post by Shub Niggurath »

It shouldn't be a problem, if you hurry and do it soon, you still have 2 months of keeping them outside to let them start growing. Then you can move them inside and hopefully they won't wither too soon. But from my personal experience I can tell you that lavender can be really tricky and hard to maintain - I never managed to keep mine alive so I just buy dried lavender flowers. It doesn't like growing in flowerpots. Bot other herbs, especially the common herbs used as spices in cooking, are easy to maintain and can be kept inside.
Pinkpower_80

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

Thanks LC! That's good to know about the lavender. I love the stuff and I'm about out of my dried supply. I will stick to getting it that way and try to grow others. :fairy:
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I just planted some marigold, anise, rosemary and they are doing perfectly fine :) If you can grow them in the house it shouldn't really matter.
Pinkpower_80

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

Thanks! I plan on getting some seeds tomorrow. I'll let y'all know what I pick up!
Pinkpower_80

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

I was going to get some seed packets but the store had absolutely zero left. I did end up getting a mint plant. Hopefully I don't kill it lol.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

As the others said, you could easily do it inside too! My grandmother used to be really, really into planting inside and she'd have her own green house set up. Hehe. (: You could try something like that, and my family used to grow plants in the basement with a hydroponics system. (:
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

I'm a serial plant killer. :cry:
I seen this post on Tumblr the other day and it made me feel a little better. Maybe it'll help you too.
“findingme2002 said:
I feel like I click better with more green witch type stuff, but I'm really bad with gardening and plants...I don't have a green thumb; anything I try to grow usually ends up dead. Because of this I wonder if I need to be looking at other types of craft....if not being able to grow things means that green crafting is not for me? Any insight would would be much appreciated. Thanks for all the great info on your site!"

Not being great at growing plants is not something that has to be permanent. You can learn proper plant care, set routines for yourself and just keep at it. Start with a pre-grown (as in not a seedling) plant. A small one, an easy plant, such as mint. Learn everything about that plant, how to care for it, and you do it. Make yourself keep it alive. Don’t over water or underwater, use fertilizer. Keep at it. When you keep that plant alive, you will open all sorts of doors for yourself.

So I say you can be a green witch. Just…start small, and dream big.

-Lavender
Source (http://thepaganstudygrouppage.tumblr.co ... witch-type)

This is so true. The last seeds I tried to grow died within two weeks of sprouting. I've got a plant on my kitchen altar that my mom dug up out of the front yard last summer. Not only is it still alive, it recently started sprouting the cutest, tiny pink flowers. :mrgreen:
Pinkpower_80

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

Aww pink flowers! Thank you for sharing that post, it really helps & encourages me. It's funny that she mentioned to start with a pre-grown mint plant, which is exactly what I got today! :fairy:
I really wanna get the hang of this. I know that herbal healing & magick is my calling, it's even what I'm majoring in in college. Ineed and want to be good at growing & caring for plants. I love them so much, but I think I literally love them to death lol. I am bad to over water, then I realize it so then I end up under watering.
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

It is never to late to start a herb garden! As the others already said you can start or keep the young plants inside.
I planted some tulip tree seeds, fig, blueberries and some other berry seeds I've been collecting throughout the year. I keep them in a little planter on my sideboard by the sunny window.

All you jave to do is provide sunlight a little bit of warmth and water.

Nothing has sprouted jet - most seeds take a while! Some never sprout and others will sprout early und grow fast.

Trust in nature and let it work
BB

Blue Moon

Return to “Gardening”