Totem

Discussion and questions about the magical properties and uses of crystals and stones.
Aderyn

Totem

Post by Aderyn »

Someone very close to me gave me a turquoise stone as their totem a few months back. I wire wrapped it and wear it every day on a leather rope (all the copper necklaces I have turn my neck green :?) and only take it off when showering. Since this person gave this to me as a totem, should I still cleanse it? I am worried it may remove their essence or something important, as silly as that may sound. I just started learning about crystals and stones this year and I'm enjoying learning about them.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Totem

Post by Firebird »

Hi there!
Actually you probably should cleanse it periodically, and give it a little sun. Not too much though, an hour is plenty. To clean it you can let it sit in rock salt or wash it in salt water, then give it a little smudge and let it have the sun bath.
I wonder if your stone is carved in some sort of animal form...this would make it a totem. I have a small bear carved out of turquoise for my energy of South totem. If it is raw rock charged for the purpose of protection then it is generally called an amulet. If it is charged for a specefic task like money draw, then it is likely a talisman.

Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Aderyn

Post by Aderyn »

Thank you for the information! I always forget that animal shaped stones are called totems. I was just referring to it as a totem since this stone has been with the person for years before they gave it to me, so I see it as a special part of this person who gifted to me. I also did some basic research on stones and since it is turquoise, that is meant for protection, correct?

I will try the cleansing information you provided. :} Thank you, Firebird!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Turquoise is for , protection, peace and connection to spirit. It rules the throat chakra, and assists in lung ailments. It helps to lessen inflammation, and regenerate tissue. It promotes calm.
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I would say that the stone could be a totem. Sometimes our animal friends don't choose to reveal themselves by outward appearance.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Aderyn

Post by Aderyn »

SnowCat wrote:I would say that the stone could be a totem. Sometimes our animal friends don't choose to reveal themselves by outward appearance.

Snow
And the person who gifted to me is very close to me, I feel a very strong spiritual connection with them. ^-^
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

It also protects the traveler, I wear a strand of it,
clear quartz, and Mookite when I'm driving it helps
keep me focused while driving.
:flyingwitch:
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz

Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
shatteredsouls

Post by shatteredsouls »

I know totem symbolizes something but I didn't think it must be an animal... It's not right? Because tribes may have totem that does not represent animal?
Aderyn

Post by Aderyn »

I was thinking the same thing, but I'm not too familiar with it to say one way or another...
shatteredsouls

Post by shatteredsouls »

I guess... nothing is absolute? Truth is subjective sometimes.

Return to “Crystals and Gemstones”