Word Spells from the Slavic Folklore Traditions

American Folk Magick, Hoodoo, Appalachian Granny Magic, Ozark Mountain Magic, Pow-wow Magic, and other types of folk magick are discussed here.
YanaKhan

Re: Word Spells from the Slavic Folklore Traditions

Post by YanaKhan »

Hi SL, I'm not exactly sure if some of the spell are drawn from the Greek. Could be, as we are neighbors and the traditions (and kitchen, and languages and almost everything) is mixed somewhat. It's kinda hard to tell what originated where. These spells I've gathered from different sourses and the words are in Bulgarian, however there could have been some influence between the cultures.
Unfortunately witchy folklore has mostly been forgotten here too. Only the ladies who practice these spells and people like me, remember. Most of the practitioners are in fact Christians and they believe they do Christian work, while the Orthodox church tends to call them witches and bans such practices. It's a pity because in few generations, these traditions will be lost.

Do you have more information on Greek folklore spells? It would be very interesting to learn.
SapphireRoad

Re: Word Spells from the Slavic Folklore Traditions

Post by SapphireRoad »

I think the greatest Bulgarian spell is the perpetual flame lit at war monument in Sofia that reminds you of how you fended off the invaders. You know druids were said to be keepers of some perpetual flame too and we have this habit in Greece too as transposed into the Olympic games.
YanaKhan wrote:Do you have more information on Greek folklore spells? It would be very interesting to learn.
Well our best bet is to learn Greek and venture to places that were full of witchcraft like Thessalia or Crete.

I mentioned many times this book called Hygromanteia which translates as water divination, also Necro manteia translates as divination by the help of the dead spirits, would be called left hand to be banned to discuss but if you interpret it this way there are many of us here actually doing it I think.

They had black-handled knives at Crete, ventured into mountains and, when evoking the spirits they had to draw a circle around themselves by that knife so as to stay protected.
At Lughnassad they made a gift of honey and silk to be taken to mountains at high noon as an offering to the local Fearie Queen and was said to be made so that she could fulfil a wish for them. I am quoting all this from Hygromanteia as collected by Ioannis Marathakis http://goldenhoard.net/authors.htm

*although it might be called Solomonike on occasion, Greeks sometimes call all their magic like that, not only the kind related to Solomon the King.
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)

Return to “Folk Magick”