New Moon Rituals

For all things "moon", your guide to magical moon work, moon phases, etc.
Irised

New Moon Rituals

Post by Irised »

Hi everyone! Since last night was a new moon, I was wondering if you guys have a certain ritual that you follow. Do you do the same thing for each moon or do you change it up depending on the astrological sign?

Just curious :)

I kind of created my own ritual last night. I cast a circle and then did some meditation work. For the upcoming month, I asked for help studying (I'm taking the LSAT in a few months.)

But haha, as soon as I cast my circle, my cat woke up and ran over. It was odd, he sat with me and purred throughout.
Siona

Re: New Moon Rituals

Post by Siona »

The new moon is part of a two night festival for me - they're based on ancient Greek holidays, but they're not exact reconstructions. (The timing isn't really right, for example. The ancient Greeks considered the new moon to be the first sighting of the crescent moon after the dark period, but I currently go with the more modern astronomical dates.)

The night before the new moon, last night of the lunar cycle, is Hekate's Deipnon (supper). During the day I clean off and purify all the shrines, clean and purify the house a bit... basically, it's like out with the old to make room for the new. While I'm cleaning I usually think about how the last month went, and also any goals I have for the next month, events coming up, and so on. During the night I make offerings to Hekate and the dead.

Noumenia is the next day, the new moon. After sunset I make special offerings to Hestia, asking for her to bless my home over the coming month. I also try to always cook a nice family meal on the new moon, rather than going out to eat or ordering in, as another way to honor Hestia. This is usually when I change up the seasonal altar a bit, too. For me this lunar month is the harvest moon cycle, and the autumn equinox is coming up, so I put out some of my autumn decorations.
Irised

Post by Irised »

Siona wrote:
The night before the new moon, last night of the lunar cycle, is Hekate's Deipnon (supper). During the day I clean off and purify all the shrines, clean and purify the house a bit... basically, it's like out with the old to make room for the new. While I'm cleaning I usually think about how the last month went, and also any goals I have for the next month, events coming up, and so on. During the night I make offerings to Hekate and the dead.
I love the idea of cleansing and purifying the night before. Such a good way to end the month and welcome in the new!
North Star

Post by North Star »

Hi, Irised! I moved this over to our Working With The Moon forum, I thought it was an excellent question to ask. I would love to hear how others use this time as well. :)

The new moon is my favorite time for breaking out the tarot cards. And the sage. And the feather duster. :D I am sure many of us like this time for cleaning, even if it involves a mop (and broom, hehe) or a good, deep spiritual cleansing, this is a great time for it.

I like to change or add to my altar at this time, after a good cleaning both mundane and spiritual. Maybe make some changes for the coming month or season or just whatever feels right at the time. It sets the tone for me for the upcoming month.

Since I do not cast circles I feel it is important to cleanse my space regularly (my bedroom, altar, tools, everything...) every new moon. It is one practice I always have to do, or I just don't feel right. I also take a cleansing shower/bath ritual of some sort, even if it is quick and simple.

If I have an important spell in mind that I feel may be needed, I like to start the process on the new moon. Planning to work the spell on the full moon, I use this time for divination for the issue, to plan and write and gather items needed. Really I only go through this process maybe a few times a year, for serious needs or issues or a certain moon that I really want to draw from.

I also have a small lantern on my altar with a battery operated votive candle, which I will leave on during the darkest nights of this moon phase while I sleep.

I really love the new moon phase. A great time for a fresh start, new beginnings and hope. Cleaning out the old and regaining focus. Setting intentions and letting go of what does not serve you.

Create, Release, Renew, Begin.

:flyingwitch:

Return to “Working with the Moon”