Rain before my rituals/spells

Talk, spells, rituals, and questions about the four elements.
Nightwatcher

Rain before my rituals/spells

Post by Nightwatcher »

Since starting on my path again, I've done a few rituals to honor my Lady Artemis as well as Lady Selene and Lady Hecate. The odd thing is, just before the ritual it will start to rain and thunder! Not only that, but the rain will stop usually 5-10 minutes before I plan to go out into my backyard to do my ritual, but the lightning still flashes from far away. I've heard rain helps magnify certain spellwork?

I'm not sure if this is a sign I have an affinity with water or something else... it's very odd and happened about half a dozen times now! Any thoughts?
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rain before my rituals/spells

Post by Firebird »

Woah, I guess firstly I would say be careful!
Then I would wonder if the is another deity that may be calling out for you?
Or maybe you are needing to address something, with lightning speed or make your voice be heard like the loud rumble of thunder?
On the practical side we have been having very different and tropical thunderstorms than we normally do.
But interpret as you desire, I would see if there were any local lore and determine if it applies to your life at all
Bb, Firebird.
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Siona

Post by Siona »

Hekate does have minor ties to storms, due to her rule over the sky, although of course Zeus has the stronger association with such things in that pantheon...

But I'll also echo looking at the more mundane side - not sure exactly where you live, but I know in a lot of places in the US this is the season for thunder storms, so it might just be a seasonal coincidence. Maybe make a note of it, and see if the same weather patterns repeat around this time next year.
Nightwatcher

Post by Nightwatcher »

I'm in the US too Siona and is IS the rainy season... so it's highly possible it's just natural phenomena. Why I ask is because it always stops just before my rituals. Rain can be unpredictable in its stopping time (since it's a force of nature) but having it consistently do that is just seeming very odd to me.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hello?
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Nightwatcher

Post by Nightwatcher »

@Firebird: I've had a few experiences with Zeus before, so it might be him... I REALLY hope not... *sigh*
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

What about Thor?
Or may be Haokah...?
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Nightwatcher

Post by Nightwatcher »

firebirdflys wrote:What about Thor?
Or may be Haokah...?
I've only ever worked with the Greek pantheon but I'll look into Thor and Haokah. I know Thor is of the Norse pantheon but which pantheon is Haokah from?
Siona

Post by Siona »

Nightwatcher wrote:@Firebird: I've had a few experiences with Zeus before, so it might be him... I REALLY hope not... *sigh*
I was going through some old notes today, and they sort of reminded me a bit of this post. I've seen a few times where people's first experiences with Zeus are sometimes influenced by their subconscious views of him, which generally come from Greek mythology. However, a lot of Greek mythology was seen more as entertainment almost, rather than being thought of as sacred stories, or even seen as literal events. Some myths had a lot of religious significance, but there were plenty that were just stories written by men, for men. This seems especially true of Zeus, because there were many times where the mythological Zeus doesn't really line up with the Zeus of the popular religion.

I don't know the exact details of your situation, only what little you mentioned here on the forums, but if Zeus has already come calling, and now there's thunder and rain "following" you, so to speak, it might be worth looking at these other aspects of Zeus? Might not apply to your situation, but figured it was at least worth mentioning. (And for what it's worth, as a devotee of Artemis, it might also be good to remember that she loved her father, Zeus, quite a bit, and sometimes when you have a relationship with one deity, other deities they are close to sometimes follow.)
Nightwatcher

Post by Nightwatcher »

I never though of it like that Siona. I am still quite cautious because I do not wish to be taken advantage of, but like you I am a devotee of Artemis and it seems the Lady has called to me since I was still a baby (stories for later over PM if you're interested ^^) And yes, I also remember she loved her father very much. So it may be because of that connection with her and my past life connection with Apollo that Zeus may be reaching out to me.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Heokah is Native American, Lakota I believe.
One thing I found rather interesting in serching for deities, was there really isn't a Goddess of lightning, or rain really.
Lots associated with water, but specifically... rain... thunder, ...or lightning, not so much.
I found that rather dissapointing and amazing. Where are the thunder Goddesses? :shock:
Bb, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Nightwatcher

Post by Nightwatcher »

firebirdflys wrote:Heokah is Native American, Lakota I believe.
One thing I found rather interesting in serching for deities, was there really isn't a Goddess of lightning, or rain really.
Lots associated with water, but specifically... rain... thunder, ...or lightning, not so much.
I found that rather dissapointing and amazing. Where are the thunder Goddesses? :shock:
Bb, Firebird
Oh wow, I never noticed that! That really interesting actually. I wonder why that is...
dustyvicki

Post by dustyvicki »

That's a good question. Now it's gonna make me wonder why too lol.
Siona

Post by Siona »

Earlier in the summer I was getting some mixed messages, and I started to look into thunder goddesses as well. I came up with a few... Whaitiri (Maori), who is associated with thunder. Oya who is lightning but apparently not thunder. Kadlu, Kweeto, and Ignirtoq are a group of three Inuit goddesses who cause thunder.

I got a lot of mixed messages about Pele (Hawaiian), some sources said thunder and lightening, others said it was under the rule of another god, but it also seems there were a few goddesses in the area who were associated with lighter rain, but I didn't make many notes on that since I was looking for something else. (So there are some rain goddesses out there, too.)

I wasn't surprised to see very few thunder goddesses In the Indo-European world, as this is likely because the thunder gods all share the same proto-Indo-European root, a god who's name is generally reconstructed as Dyeus Pter. It's the same reason why there are a lot of 'repeating' archetypes and myths through that area. That said, there were two very minor goddesses in late Greek mythology, Bronte (thunder) and Astrape (lightening), who were attendants of Zeus
Nightwatcher

Post by Nightwatcher »

I'm heard that Pele is associated with volcanoes... unless I'm remembering wrong because I learned that a LOOOOONG time ago. @-@

Return to “The Elements - Earth, Fire, Air, and Water”