Vegetarianism/Veganism/Animal Rights

Frequently asked questions about witchcraft, Wicca, magick, paganism, and the occult. Subjects include love spells, Ouija boards, curses, Law of Attraction, and what to do if you don't have the needed tools, ingredients, altar, etc.
LadyCoyote

Re: Vegetarianism/Veganism/Animal Rights

Post by LadyCoyote »

Jesus my reply is so messy, I'm so sorry
LiebeUndLicht

Post by LiebeUndLicht »

LadyCoyote wrote:Jesus my reply is so messy, I'm so sorry
Oh hahaha, it's okay, I got what you were saying. Thanks for your reply, I actually really like what you said at the end about being food after we die.
Not all scars show and not all wounds heal. Sometimes you never truly see the pain that someone feels.
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Post by AdastraJunction »

I'm answer to the OP.
I'm not by any means vegan/vegetarian but my diet is mainly that and a bit gluten free. I have my own aquaponics garden I tend to year round with fruits/vegetables/herbs and I farm and eat the fish in it as well. Save on money and saves on the impact on the earth (soil). I have hunted before, deer and rabbit, and often enjoy meat sharing (buying half a slaughtered cow or pig with another family buying the other half killed humanely then store much of it in a deep freezer until it is all used up not one bit wasted). Now having slaughtered and eaten my own meat yes I do give thanks to that animal for giving its life so I may live but I also know not one bit will be wasted, it was treated well and I know where my food comes from and how safe it is to eat. Had I not had these experiences and enlightenment and choose to live this way I probably would be vegetarian or vegan. I love giving charity for shelters both human and animal alike and have done many amazing things thus-far in life involving humanitarian efforts and conservation. I respect and love my furry friends but I also thank them for the life they give me.
LiebeUndLicht

Post by LiebeUndLicht »

AdastraJunction wrote:I'm answer to the OP.
I'm not by any means vegan/vegetarian but my diet is mainly that and a bit gluten free. I have my own aquaponics garden I tend to year round with fruits/vegetables/herbs and I farm and eat the fish in it as well. Save on money and saves on the impact on the earth (soil). I have hunted before, deer and rabbit, and often enjoy meat sharing (buying half a slaughtered cow or pig with another family buying the other half killed humanely then store much of it in a deep freezer until it is all used up not one bit wasted). Now having slaughtered and eaten my own meat yes I do give thanks to that animal for giving its life so I may live but I also know not one bit will be wasted, it was treated well and I know where my food comes from and how safe it is to eat. Had I not had these experiences and enlightenment and choose to live this way I probably would be vegetarian or vegan. I love giving charity for shelters both human and animal alike and have done many amazing things thus-far in life involving humanitarian efforts and conservation. I respect and love my furry friends but I also thank them for the life they give me.
That was a really amazing reply, I respect that you can hunt and kill your own animals. I've heard posts and things saying that you're not a Wiccan if you are not a vegetarian, but I do not understand this view point. I also really think it's great that you love giving charity for shelters both human and animal because that's a really nice thing to do, you seem like an awesome person. I personally always try and buy free-range things because I think the way they treat some animals is preposterous.
Not all scars show and not all wounds heal. Sometimes you never truly see the pain that someone feels.
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Post by AdastraJunction »

Wish I could have my own chickens but I can't right now.

The way you choose to live is just that, a choice. Religion or beliefs do not need to have any baring on what food you eat unless you choose to follow religious rules to the letter. People read into the guidelines on faith however they choose. Harm None as in Wicca can mean: Do not harm another living soul animal or human, it could apply to only humans it depends on how you wish to follow that.
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

I actually believe that hunting for your food is the most humane way to eat meat. I also think it is a great practice to thank the animal for their nourishment! Another great practice is raising your own beef, but obviously this isn't possible for many people.

On the other hand, some peoples bodies just don't agree with meat. I think it's important to listen to your body and intuition! But if you would like to eat meat there are definitely humane ways to do it.

One thing that does annoy me though are people that criticize others for hunting "exotic" meat while they themselves eat McDonald's hamburgers. I don't mean endangered species, just animals that are not common in America. Obviously it's not common to eat elephant here but in some cultures it is and in some cultures they consider cows to be "exotic"! You don't have to participate in killing an elephant but you shouldn't label someone as "evil" just because you don't understand their practices. Not related to anything on this forum I have just had a lot of arguments with people over the years. :roll:
LiebeUndLicht

Post by LiebeUndLicht »

Sundancer wrote:I actually believe that hunting for your food is the most humane way to eat meat. I also think it is a great practice to thank the animal for their nourishment! Another great practice is raising your own beef, but obviously this isn't possible for many people.

On the other hand, some peoples bodies just don't agree with meat. I think it's important to listen to your body and intuition! But if you would like to eat meat there are definitely humane ways to do it.

One thing that does annoy me though are people that criticize others for hunting "exotic" meat while they themselves eat McDonald's hamburgers. I don't mean endangered species, just animals that are not common in America. Obviously it's not common to eat elephant here but in some cultures it is and in some cultures they consider cows to be "exotic"! You don't have to participate in killing an elephant but you shouldn't label someone as "evil" just because you don't understand their practices. Not related to anything on this forum I have just had a lot of arguments with people over the years. :roll:
I think if you have the guts (no pun intended) to do it then you should kill your own food, but I just don't think I would be able to do it. I also thought I'd point out that I'm not American, not important but yeah. I think most people are on here though. I really liked your reply, very insightful, I was actually thinking about going veggie, me and my friends were talking about it earlier (two of my friends are vegetarians). I just don't know whether I'd actually be able to do it. I tried it once before.
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

@LiebeUndLicht I was thinking about that when I was writing because I know that not everyone on here is from America. I have no idea what kind of hunting goes on in England! Even if you don't feel you can kill, which I totally understand. I am not in a position right now to raise my own meat but I try to be mindful of where I get my meat from! Luckily, I'm in an area where there are a ton of local ranches that I trust. Of course, not everyone is. I think the most important part is just being mindful and grateful. Even if you buy meat at the store and you have no idea where it came from. You can try and envision the animal and honor it. And if you still want to go Veggie that's cool too. ::coolglasses::
LiebeUndLicht

Post by LiebeUndLicht »

Sundancer wrote:@LiebeUndLicht I was thinking about that when I was writing because I know that not everyone on here is from America. I have no idea what kind of hunting goes on in England! Even if you don't feel you can kill, which I totally understand. I am not in a position right now to raise my own meat but I try to be mindful of where I get my meat from! Luckily, I'm in an area where there are a ton of local ranches that I trust. Of course, not everyone is. I think the most important part is just being mindful and grateful. Even if you buy meat at the store and you have no idea where it came from. You can try and envision the animal and honor it. And if you still want to go Veggie that's cool too. ::coolglasses::
Well luckily in the U.K., testing makeup and cosmetics doesn't happen anymore, so that's a positive, but in class I get really angry because we're allowed to debate and I always have to just not talk otherwise I will get very angry when people say animals don't matter, or they don't have souls. Er, yeah they do! Also I live in the countryside and I don't think that much hunting goes on here (compared to the states).
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

LiebeUndLicht wrote: Well luckily in the U.K., testing makeup and cosmetics doesn't happen anymore, so that's a positive, but in class I get really angry because we're allowed to debate and I always have to just not talk otherwise I will get very angry when people say animals don't matter, or they don't have souls. Er, yeah they do! Also I live in the countryside and I don't think that much hunting goes on here (compared to the states).
Yeah, some people take the whole "animals don't matter" thing too far. You have have to be cruel. Personally, I think it does more damage to yourself to be disconnected like that, but it's their life not ours. Most of my influence on eating meat comes from the Native American culture.
cloverfox

Post by cloverfox »

The one thing I found most disturbing about your reply to why you eat meat and something I am shocked no one has brought up yet, is that you said, "It's already dead in the supermarket, so it would be a waste not to eat it."

The reason it is there is because of supply and demand. When you purchase goods from any store, the company that sells those things gets a record of that and they think, "Oh this product is selling, must produce more it!" In the case of a farmer, "Oh, my cabbage is selling, I better grow more of it!" Or a slaughterhouse, "Ah, people bought all of the chicken we sent to that store, must breed and kill more of them because they will keep buying!"

You get my point. And this is by no means an attack on you, I just am surprised no one has brought that up yet.

As for myself, I have been a meat eater most of my life. Was vegetarian for a while as a preteen but it was difficult as my family bought all the groceries and I felt bad when I "needed" my Morning Star chicken nuggets and what not.

At the moment I am trying veganism, more as an experiment to see if I can, see how it makes me feel and in an effort to calm my disordered eating as a way to simplify my diet. I am aware that often times it is not recommended for people with eating disorders in their past to choose vegetarianism or veganism, but I've spent a lot of time and energy into the research and I am doing well so far. Fortunately, I also live in a city with a plethora of vegan options and a vegan friendly atmosphere.

I don't care what other people eat, no sense in me wasting my time or bothering, because people are going to do what's best for them in the long run, which is something that I condone fully.
Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

cloverfox wrote:The one thing I found most disturbing about your reply to why you eat meat and something I am shocked no one has brought up yet, is that you said, "It's already dead in the supermarket, so it would be a waste not to eat it."

The reason it is there is because of supply and demand. When you purchase goods from any store, the company that sells those things gets a record of that and they think, "Oh this product is selling, must produce more it!" In the case of a farmer, "Oh, my cabbage is selling, I better grow more of it!" Or a slaughterhouse, "Ah, people bought all of the chicken we sent to that store, must breed and kill more of them because they will keep buying!"

You get my point. And this is by no means an attack on you, I just am surprised no one has brought that up yet.

As for myself, I have been a meat eater most of my life. Was vegetarian for a while as a preteen but it was difficult as my family bought all the groceries and I felt bad when I "needed" my Morning Star chicken nuggets and what not.

At the moment I am trying veganism, more as an experiment to see if I can, see how it makes me feel and in an effort to calm my disordered eating as a way to simplify my diet. I am aware that often times it is not recommended for people with eating disorders in their past to choose vegetarianism or veganism, but I've spent a lot of time and energy into the research and I am doing well so far. Fortunately, I also live in a city with a plethora of vegan options and a vegan friendly atmosphere.

I don't care what other people eat, no sense in me wasting my time or bothering, because people are going to do what's best for them in the long run, which is something that I condone fully.

I became vegan when I was 16, amidst a pretty debilitating eating disorder, and it helped me immensely :) It took until I was about 23 or so for my disordered thoughts to pretty much stop accosting me completely, but being vegan helped me look at food with a fresh perspective and, as you say, simplify my eating. I just wanted to share my experiences and say.. good luck!

(Just as a disclaimer: I am by now means advocating veganism as a cure for disordered eating. It helped me, but it doesn't help everyone and could exacerbate their condition. If anyone suffers from disordered eating the first and only piece of advice I give is to see a medical practitioner.)
cloverfox

Post by cloverfox »

I'm glad to hear it helped you!

I'm still kind of on the fence about it all as it's been less than a month since I started, but only time will tell!
brighluff

Post by brighluff »

If they are already dead and you pay money to eat them you are funding the corporation so that more animals can die to be made into meat. If you don't want it to happen don't fund it. Or else it's just a loop.

Return to “F.A.Q.”