Is this normal?

Post meditations or discuss consciousness exploration here.
seawitch

Is this normal?

Post by seawitch »

I was excited to try out the affirmation exercise in Nancy B. Watson's Practical Solitary Magic. Not too familiar with meditation, I wasn't too sure what to expect. I got in a meditation position (laying down), and got down to it. My arms were immediately the first to go heavy. Not knowing if I should stop there since my hands are usually where I feel my energy whenever I draw it up, I decided to keep going. It took a while (other thoughts were intruding though I tried to get rid of them), but the rest of my body was able to feel heavy, almost numb in a way. I was doing small quiet breaths, but decided to make them a bit longer and louder. When I did, my arms got heavier than they already were, and I could feel them start to levitate.

Aware of it, I wondered if I was doing that on purpose to trick myself (though I most certainly wasn't). After a little bit they felt lighter, but I did lay them back down, and they started to feel a sort of icy cold. Knowing that I was still full of energy, I opened my eyes and did the affirmation exercise (more than once just to make sure). The thing is, is that my body, especially the arms, felt tingly and kind of hurt. During and after the exercise I felt full of magical energy and happy, and still do (I just did the exercise). I was just wondering about the sort of numbness, levitating bit, sort of icy cold feeling as I came back to consciousness. Is that normal?
tigerlily

Re: Is this normal?

Post by tigerlily »

In my opinion I think we all experience mediation differently so what's normal for one may not be for another. That being said I do usually get a numbness and levitating type of feeling while I meditate it feels amazing and at first was a bit scary/strange now I welcome and embrace it and just see it as connecting with the energy fields :)
seawitch

Re: Is this normal?

Post by seawitch »

Okay, cool. That's good to know that somebody else felt the same thing I did. I haven't meditated since, though I do plan to make a habit of it.

Return to “Consciousness Work and Meditation”