First successful meditation! +Questions

Post meditations or discuss consciousness exploration here.
springsgrace

First successful meditation! +Questions

Post by springsgrace »

I'm currently following the Witch's Primer lessons, and as part of the "power base" process it recommended moving from guided meditation to self-guided meditation. I never found guided meditation to work for me, and I'd leave feeling worse than before. However, I used a simple yoga and a twenty or so minute meditation combination this time, and I focused on a candle flame (since I'm focusing on the fire element this week.)
I felt very numb and completely still physically- it was like I was frozen still. My mind didn't really drift from anything except the candle flame, and the elements. I found myself visualising a beautiful, dry mid-summer grain field, with a large bonfire in the centre and stars above. It was like I could feel the hot wind and the fire's warmth on my skin, and I felt like my dream-self (I don't know what this is called?) was physically empowered and could easily run for miles and miles. There were also details like a few fireflies and there were dust clouds when I ran and danced around the fire. Eventually I left the field (again, could somebody help me out on terminology? Mental landscape?) and returned and felt really, really rejuvenated. It was quite a new experience for me, but also a bit confusing and perhaps a little bit scary. :roll: However, I'm unsure because meditation is for clearing your mind and purification, so perhaps this isn't beneficial.
Anyways, any information you guys can give me? Is this a good practice to continue, and does this have a name? Also, is there anything I can do to extend myself after this point? Thank you in advance for the advice :flyingwitch:
| cerelia | oceania | eclectic wiccan |
Shub Niggurath

Re: First successful meditation! +Questions

Post by Shub Niggurath »

Congratz on your first successful meditation!
It was a self-guided meditation, or at least that's what people call it. To be more specific, guided meditations are in fact guided relaxations, not meditations. The difference is that meditation is more about focusing on a single task (for example focusing on your breath, focusing on as many stimuli as possible, focusing on a koan etc etc.) while relaxation is more about visualization (that's why it's often guided), body-scanning etc. But because people usually use these two terms alternately I think it's okay to call it whatever you prefer to call it ;) When you do self-guided meditations/relaxations you basically allow your mind to guide you - you pick up images and "stories" that are already somewhere within your mental space.
Anyway, what you experienced is beneficial because when you practice guided relaxations/meditations you learn how to control your mind and your body. You learn how to relax, how to let go of unwanted thoughts and emotions, how to clear your mind etc. It's a first (and a very important) step towards deeper meditative or trance states. Just keep practicing and you'll eventually notice the benefits. If you want to diversify your practice you can try different types of meditation and see what you like the most. Try body-scanning, Zazen meditation, do more self-guided relaxations with different themes, try relaxation with music and nature sounds, Pranayama, maybe meditation with crystals or symbols (like specific runes or tarot cards). Explore!
As for terminology there's no one correct way of calling these things. "Mental landscape" sounds pretty though :)

Return to “Consciousness Work and Meditation”