LGBT+ in Wicca

Frequently asked questions about witchcraft, Wicca, magick, paganism, and the occult. Subjects include love spells, Ouija boards, curses, Law of Attraction, and what to do if you don't have the needed tools, ingredients, altar, etc.
springsgrace

LGBT+ in Wicca

Post by springsgrace »

Hi there everyone!
I was curious to what everyone thought about wicca's relationship with the LGBT+ community, since wicca in itself is inherently based on male/female relationships, gender/sex and fertility. (This conversation will include talk of genitals, sex and some controversial issues, so please, maturity is needed) So, what do you think?
-If a trans woman does not have a uterus or a vagina, can she still be counted as a female in rituals and such?
-Can a same-sex couple have energies that work in rituals?
-What matters for your female/male energies- sex or gender?
-Where do non-binary people fit in?
-Where do intersex people fit in?

I apologise for laying down some heavy topics, and I don't want it to sound at all like I'm being transphobic, homophobic or anything of the sort :( I myself am a member of the LGBT+ community, and I realise some of these questions sound very, very close to being problematic. Please, everyone answering, keep in mind that this sort of conversation can get tricky really fast, so make sure you read over your posts before you say something... not so great :roll:
Anyways, here's what I think:
I believe that your mind holds more power than your body (in this context). If a trans woman doesn't have a uterus or vagina but has female thoughts, identifies as a female, uses female pronouns and knows within herself that she is a woman, then, yes, she is a female and her energies are female. On the same note, a trans man has male energies if he knows he's male mentally and emotionally, even if he has uterus/vagina. Gender trumps sex in terms of magick for me.
As for same-sex couples, I feel like yes, they can have contrasting energies that work in a ritual- whether these be masculine/feminine, elemental, or something else entirely. I don't believe every contrasting energy has to male/female even though that's the most common.
Non-binary and intersex people can again, have different energies that are not male/female in particular. Or, an intersex person can identify as a female or male, and therefore be female/male even without the "correct" parts (for lack of a better term). Non-binary people can have elemental energies and planetary energies that take place of male or female.
| cerelia | oceania | eclectic wiccan |
BabyBear

Re: LGBT+ in Wicca

Post by BabyBear »

i believe that the god and goddess are within us all, we all have male and female energy and traits so there for it should not matter what you identify as because no matter what you will have both energies just one is stronger or equal to the other
LadyCoyote

Post by LadyCoyote »

Totally agree with baby bear. My grandfather would tell me that he does the more "female" gender role activities like cooking and my grandmother the opposite like fixing tools and managing money. And yes these are outdated and stereotypical gender role filing he was trying to explain to me how gender role are shit and that what genitals you have doesn't dictate what you can do or should be. And I accepted pagan ideals about that too, where we acknowledge opposite energies, but realize that they are not separated by individual but they inhibit each one of us in different quantities
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hi Springsgrace! I'm copying and pasting some links that I found interesting about how people in the LGBTQ community embrace both their sexuality and their spirituality:
(my original post here)
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Shub Niggurath

Post by Shub Niggurath »

There are some wiccan movements promoting "Inclusive Wicca" which is all about unifying wiccan practice to be more friendly / neutral for LGBTQ people. If you're interested in that you might wanna read this article by Yvonne Aburrow:

EDIT: this link is a pdf file automatically downloads

Inclusive Wicca.

It answers most of your questions as far as I remember.

Return to “F.A.Q.”