Deity Representations

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
nyxmoonshadow

Deity Representations

Post by nyxmoonshadow »

Hello everyone! I hope you all are having a wonderful day :)

So, I'm in the middle of gathering things for my shoebox altar and all I seem to be missing is what I'm going to use to represent the God and Goddess. Money is a bit tight for us, so I can't really go out and buy the statue for the Goddess I want:

That's the daedric prince Azura from my favorite game series the Elder scrolls and for some reason she reminds me of Nyx, but $209.00 is ...out of my price range, haha.

Anyway, I just want to know, what do you all use for deity representation? Do you use a picture or a candle, a statue or something you made yourself?
Siona

Re: Deity Representations

Post by Siona »

Been a huge TES fan for a while, really had to fight with myself to not spend the money on that statue when there are other things I need, but man, it's a nice one... :lol:

I mostly tend to use statues as representations these days, as there are quite a few beautiful statues of Greek deities available. The exception is Hestia, I have a plaque of her hanging above her shrine, but a flame is her real representation. When I focused more on Egyptian deities I sometimes had to get more creative - like a feather for Shu (god of air, feather headdress), or a pot I painted with stars for Nut (who wears a pot headdress).
nyxmoonshadow

Post by nyxmoonshadow »

Isn't it though? I want it so badly, but I agree... there are more important things we need. Darn.

Do you have any special places you like to get your statues from? Also, I love the idea of using an object that the deity represents (or that represents the deity), I'm going to see what I can find around the house for Nyx. She's a tough one to shop for, lol!
azriel

Post by azriel »

I ask my deities to send me a little gift that I can use as a physical representation for them on my altar. It takes a little while but on my walks I will usually find a shell, feather, key, or any other object that I can then associate with one of them.

If I had an exuberant amount of money then I would be more than happy to either buy a few statues or commission one to some artists that are nearby. = )

Azriel
^-^~
Unfold your wings and take off into the sky
Before you're burned, become the sun
Blow, oh wind... It guides you into the sky
Before your whole self is taken away

Oasis~~~Gackt
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Post by AdastraJunction »

I love working with clay so I made my own representations of my deities. I plan on trying my hand at stone carving (soft stone like soap stone) and making a deity relief for a wall nook like the Romans did for their household gods.
Siona

Post by Siona »

nyxmoonshadow wrote:Do you have any special places you like to get your statues from?
Most of my statues came from goddessgift.net, but I actually got them through their ebay store, which sometimes has cheaper shipping. I had a hard time finding a statue of Artemis though. I mean, I have a few statues of her that I like as artwork, but I had to do a lot of digging to find one that felt appropriate for her altar. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly where I ended up buying it from, some online store based in Greece.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I make my own. (: Well, most of them! I made a statue of one, and then paintings. I've tried looking for actual ones to buy, but it wasn't working out so I decided making it would be best for me. It doesn't look great, I've never made a person before, but I love it. ^_^ My fey statues are leftover from childhood, which speaks to me a lot so I incorporate them on my altar.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

I've used a couple different things as deity representations. I've used a pair of feathers (one black, one white), a pair of candles (black and white), and a pine cone paired with a holey shell. The Wiccan Way has a real cute goddess statue I'd love to have, but it just a little too far out of my price range. :(
Have you thought of making your own statues with salt dough? Here's a link that might help you get started in that direction. :)
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 23888.html
nyxmoonshadow

Post by nyxmoonshadow »

azriel wrote:I ask my deities to send me a little gift that I can use as a physical representation for them on my altar. It takes a little while but on my walks I will usually find a shell, feather, key, or any other object that I can then associate with one of them.

If I had an exuberant amount of money then I would be more than happy to either buy a few statues or commission one to some artists that are nearby. = )

Azriel
^-^~
I'm still new to praying to the god and goddess asking them for things, so when I do it doesn't really pan out because I probably phrase it wrong. I'm going to follow your example and take walks and see if they speak to me that way. Living in the suburbs, there's nowhere to really walk or get in touch with nature. It's just rows and rows of houses, shops, and a mall -_-; There's a spot of trees at the local playground though, so maybe that can help. Etsy has some lovely artists I'd love to commission myself...We should all get together and do a prosperity spell...We might all get rich! Just kidding... Sort of :D
AdastraJunction wrote:I love working with clay so I made my own representations of my deities. I plan on trying my hand at stone carving (soft stone like soap stone) and making a deity relief for a wall nook like the Romans did for their household gods.
I love working with clay myself, I have bunches upon bunches of blocks of it sitting in my craft closet (both the witchy and artsy kind, haha) but I'm not a very good sculptor. The wall nook relief sounds like a wonderful idea, I'd love to see some photos when you've finished, Adastra!
Siona wrote:
nyxmoonshadow wrote:Do you have any special places you like to get your statues from?
Most of my statues came from goddessgift.net, but I actually got them through their ebay store, which sometimes has cheaper shipping. I had a hard time finding a statue of Artemis though. I mean, I have a few statues of her that I like as artwork, but I had to do a lot of digging to find one that felt appropriate for her altar. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly where I ended up buying it from, some online store based in Greece.
Thanks for that link, I'm definitely going to check it out. That's my current issue, nothing really feels right. Patience has never been my strong suit, but I guess I have no choice. I'm sure something will pop up that just calls to me :D
Sakura Blossom wrote:I make my own. (: Well, most of them! I made a statue of one, and then paintings. I've tried looking for actual ones to buy, but it wasn't working out so I decided making it would be best for me. It doesn't look great, I've never made a person before, but I love it. ^_^ My fey statues are leftover from childhood, which speaks to me a lot so I incorporate them on my altar.
Everyone making their own statues seems to be the recurring thing, I think someone is trying to tell me something! A painting sounds like a good idea. I'm a much better painter than sculptor although not by much. I had angel figurines when I was a kid, so I can relate to your fey statues.
Echo_of_shadows wrote:I've used a couple different things as deity representations. I've used a pair of feathers (one black, one white), a pair of candles (black and white), and a pine cone paired with a holey shell. The Wiccan Way has a real cute goddess statue I'd love to have, but it just a little too far out of my price range. :(
Have you thought of making your own statues with salt dough? Here's a link that might help you get started in that direction. :)
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 23888.html
It is a lovely statue! I can see why you want it and why I'm bookmarking it so I can get it when I have some extra cash, but in NY with everything climbing in price except for salaries, it's gonna be a while -_-; I'm going to try and make my own, even if I'm a terrible sculptor. Thank you so much for the link! And thank you all for sharing, I love to hear how resourceful and creative everyone is, I'm a craft-a-holic through and through.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

It's a very common belief (but not everyone holds it of course!) that when you create things yourself, they hold more power. (: I wish you the best of luck!
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Post by AdastraJunction »

Heres a recreation example of what I want to do for my altar nook its called a roman laraium

nyxmoonshadow

Post by nyxmoonshadow »

That looks lovely, Adastra! It's giving me inspiration for my own altar ^_^;
jollymolly.pp

Post by jollymolly.pp »

That's awesome !!!
Myrrdin Greyoak

Post by Myrrdin Greyoak »

Seeing as the extra money I need for statues is a bit hard to come by these days I;ve been using natural objects as deity representatives, for instance i am currently using seashells for the Goddess and different nuts and pinecones for the God. Though I am looking at trying my hand at sculpting my own statues soon
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I always do 7 day candles with their image printed, or a picture in a frame. Until Im able to find a statue I really like.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”