Bloodmoon tonight

For all things "moon", your guide to magical moon work, moon phases, etc.
VeeBee

Bloodmoon tonight

Post by VeeBee »

Hello, there's going to be a full red moon tonight over the UK. Can anyone tell me if I can use the event for myself? Anyone knows anything about the meaning of a Bloodmoon? VeeBee xxx
Siona

Re: Bloodmoon tonight

Post by Siona »

It's interesting, when people kept referring to the 'blood moon' today I thought they were just using one of the popular names for the current lunar cycle (each cycle has several folknames from different regions), but apparently it's become a common nickname for the moon during this type of eclipse, as it looks reddish. In the other usage it's called a blood moon because this moon cycle was the time of year where herds were culled, and also a time for hunting (so sometimes called the hunter's moon, among other names). I've been trying to find out which use came first, but not a lot of luck there. Spiritually, one can generally use this moon cycle, and time of year in general, to look at what things can be culled from your life in a metaphorical sense, or to focus your goals like a hunter would focus on it's target. I'm unsure of special meaning behind an eclipse, as they don't play a particularly special role in my tradition, but someone else may have some ideas there.

As for viewing the eclipse, I think you've already missed it? The full moon/eclipse was on the morning of the 8th, not night, it was a few hours ago now I think?
LiebeUndLicht

Post by LiebeUndLicht »

I am just doing the same ritual I do every month, if anyone is interested I could post it if you want? Hope you enjoy it, I know I will!
Not all scars show and not all wounds heal. Sometimes you never truly see the pain that someone feels.
VeeBee

Post by VeeBee »

Siona wrote:It's interesting, when people kept referring to the 'blood moon' today I thought they were just using one of the popular names for the current lunar cycle (each cycle has several folknames from different regions), but apparently it's become a common nickname for the moon during this type of eclipse, as it looks reddish. In the other usage it's called a blood moon because this moon cycle was the time of year where herds were culled, and also a time for hunting (so sometimes called the hunter's moon, among other names). I've been trying to find out which use came first, but not a lot of luck there. Spiritually, one can generally use this moon cycle, and time of year in general, to look at what things can be culled from your life in a metaphorical sense, or to focus your goals like a hunter would focus on it's target. I'm unsure of special meaning behind an eclipse, as they don't play a particularly special role in my tradition, but someone else may have some ideas there.

As for viewing the eclipse, I think you've already missed it? The full moon/eclipse was on the morning of the 8th, not night, it was a few hours ago now I think?
Thank you for your information. It is most interesting. I am not sure if I missed it, now you are saying that. Oh well I'll have a look at the moon tonight as soon as it will be visible. Fingers crossed I haven't missed it. :)
VeeBee

Post by VeeBee »

LiebeUndLicht wrote:I am just doing the same ritual I do every month, if anyone is interested I could post it if you want? Hope you enjoy it, I know I will!

Thank you for your input. Let's hope we haven't missed it. I am a complete newby in wicca,so I would be very interested :D in your ritual. VeeBee
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I would be interested as well. I'm not a newbie, but I still like learning new things and picking up ideas from others. Sometimes the newer practitioners have some incredible ideas. After 40+ years like I have, it can get easy to slide into a familiar but comfortable rut. So please, feel free to share.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Siona

Post by Siona »

VeeBee wrote:Thank you for your information. It is most interesting. I am not sure if I missed it, now you are saying that. Oh well I'll have a look at the moon tonight as soon as it will be visible. Fingers crossed I haven't missed it. :)
There are going to be two more total eclipses next year, in April and September if I remember right. Not sure if you'll have a good view of them where you are, but you can always check the dates and times for those eclipses when they get closer.
VeeBee

Post by VeeBee »

SnowCat wrote:I would be interested as well. I'm not a newbie, but I still like learning new things and picking up ideas from others. Sometimes the newer practitioners have some incredible ideas. After 40+ years like I have, it can get easy to slide into a familiar but comfortable rut. So please, feel free to share.

Snow
Thank you for your comment. Being new my confidence isn't very high. Last week I had a go at a protection spell. Last night I did a money spell. I am not asking for riches, but I've asked for a helping hand to manage my finances better and maybe a little luck. I'll let you know in it worked. Fingers crossed :-D VeeBee
LiebeUndLicht

Post by LiebeUndLicht »

VeeBee wrote:
SnowCat wrote:I would be interested as well. I'm not a newbie, but I still like learning new things and picking up ideas from others. Sometimes the newer practitioners have some incredible ideas. After 40+ years like I have, it can get easy to slide into a familiar but comfortable rut. So please, feel free to share.

Snow
Thank you for your comment. Being new my confidence isn't very high. Last week I had a go at a protection spell. Last night I did a money spell. I am not asking for riches, but I've asked for a helping hand to manage my finances better and maybe a little luck. I'll let you know in it worked. Fingers crossed :-D VeeBee
Oh, well I wish you good luck! Yes, I will be happy to share, I will make a separate post though.
Not all scars show and not all wounds heal. Sometimes you never truly see the pain that someone feels.
HazelQ.boggslyon

Post by HazelQ.boggslyon »

LiebeUndLicht wrote:I am just doing the same ritual I do every month, if anyone is interested I could post it if you want? Hope you enjoy it, I know I will!
I would be interested as well. Please share I love to do research and learn new stuff every day. I am not new to this, but all the information I can get is good.

Blessed be

Return to “Working with the Moon”