Mind reading

Questions and discussions about psychic ability, mediumship, channeling, automatic writing, clairvoyance, clairaudience, clairsentience, dream premonitions, telepathy, empathic/empathetic ability.
Khaleesi

Mind reading

Post by Khaleesi »

Your opinion?

What is everyone's opinion on mind reading? Assuming you think it's real, that is.

Let's assume mind reading is real. What is your stance on this issue? Is there ever a good time or situation to use this? Wouldn't you think that no matter what situation it is, or who performs it, it is a violation plain and simple? Don't you liken it to people hacking your computer almost? Like stealing information? Trying to be one up on you? Could it ever be helpful in a situation? Maybe, for example, helping someone on their spiritual path? Or do you think it's just wrong no matter how you slice it?

I'm sorry if this is a strange question. But I would really like to know what people would do with this ability if they had it. It just seems like an ability that doesn't do anything but harm others and invade their privacy. Kind of like the NSA with all of the phone tapping and computer monitoring. What good does it do other than making you feel superior to someone and invading their personal space? What else could you do with that information besides hurt them or sabotage them, or make fun of them?

If you think mind reading is a useful ability, then how would you use it?
Shub Niggurath

Re: Mind reading

Post by Shub Niggurath »

Sweet question :3

In my opinion and experience mind reading is not what we stereotypically think it is. It's not like your mind is an open book that anyone can read if they posess the ability to do that and you can't do anything about that. Nonono ;)

Let's simplify the whole vast concept a bit and divide it for the purpose of this post into two kinds of "mind reading": telepathy and... let's say "mind sensing" (for the lack of a better term).

Now, telepathy can happen between two people when they both agree to it and open the book of their mind for eachother. That way they can share bits of information - usually in a simple, "primitive" form, but that depends on personal skills. But let's not dive deeper into telepathy here as I think you're probably more interested in the other kind of mind reading.

"Mind sensing", as I already mentioned, is not what people think it is. If I had to put it simply I'd say it is a combination of empathy and investigating/detective skills. I know, that sounds funny. If you've ever watched Sherlock Holmes movies or series you could have a bold peek into a detective's way of perceiving their surroundings, including people. Noticing tiny little things, details and being able to come up with a lot of connotations on the fly. Now, relating this to the human mind - if you possess vast knowledge about it you know how to recognize those tiny details in a person's behavior, way of speaking, mimicry, their looks, body language et cetera and you know approximately how to interpret it. The interpretation is the outcome which gives you a peek into someone's mind. It's kind of similar to divination - a good reader is someone who has a vast knowledge about the symbolism of his/her divination tool and can successfuly use it to interpret the reading. And the same thing goes for psychotherapists - a good psychotherapist knows how to "read" you in order to find out what is it that even you might not know about yourself, only to gather the pieces of you together and come up with a way of improving your psyche and fixing what needs to be fixed.
I'm not going to go into more detail here - it is a vast topic that one could probably write a thousand books about. A single forum thread can't cover everything ;)

Now, the most important thing I'd like to address is the ethical side of mind reading. You ask if it's wrong or if it isn't just invading someone's privacy. Well... it could be if anyone could do it in any circumstances. But it's not technically possible. First of all, if you want to read people's minds first you need to have everything sorted out in your own mind - knowing yourself, being mentally aware and evolved to the point where nothing in your mind can escape the radar of your consciousness. And to be honest barely anyone is that conscious and mentally steady. Most of the people are driven by their emotions, needs and wants, instincts, cognitive schemes etc. unconsciously or only partly consciously. That's how every regular human works unless he/she takes on the long and bumpy path towards consciousness.
Another thing is that you are the one who has the control over who's going to see what when they interact with you. Once again, if you're aware of the signals you're sending to people you're also able to control/manipulate those signals the way you want. Nobody's going to "read your mind" when you're calm, neutral, your body is relaxed and keeping an open posture. At the other hand, when you can't control your emotional states, got nervous ticks and your body is tense - you're giving all the information out there, ready to be "read" by someone who can pick it up.
And the last thing - do you think people are interested in others so much that they'll just go and "read their minds"? No, they're not! ;) They're busy being themselves and minding their own business. And if they're interested in your inner states then they're probably genuinely caring for your well-being.

Alright, I'll stop my long post here. Just wanted to show you my perspective ;)
Khaleesi

Re: Mind reading

Post by Khaleesi »

Thank you for your very interesting response, levitating cat. You made some thought-provoking points.

Return to “Psychic Ability, Precognitive Dreams, Empathy”