Cat friendly plants? Fairy garden suggestions.

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
dolphinpatronus

Post by dolphinpatronus »

I've been wanting to plant a fairy garden to keep on my front porch for awhile now. The only problem is we get a lot of the neighborhood cats hanging out there too. So I want to plant things that the cats will either stay away from of won't get sick from if they happen to get into them. Also does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to "anchor" the miniatures I use? :fairy:
Estee :)
rainbowsofiris

Re: Cat friendly plants? Fairy garden suggestions.

Post by rainbowsofiris »

I'm not sure about plants that can repel cats but cats are generally good with most plants, the many issue isn't them being exposed plants that are toxic to them it's them eating the plants, but nonetheless some plants are an exposure issue too.

Here's a list of cat friendly and non friendly plants by the ASPCA (note it's really long and seems endless but there just giving as much information as possible for you to identify the plants.)

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-p ... plant-list

And I would check your planned garden area for plants that attract cat's such as catnip.

I encourage you to go through with it as it sounds like a beautiful idea.
dolphinpatronus

Thanks for the link! I'm not worried about repelling them. My cat is in indoor cat (he has horrible allergies that cause mouth sores) & he likes to sit in our front window & "visit" with his "friends" lol.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I have cat mint in my garden. The locals like to come over and just lie in it.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
dolphinpatronus

I considered doing one indoors but there are several things that contribute to my decision not to. I don't have very good lighting in my house, my cat gets into EVERYTHING, we have idea what kind of allergy he has & I don't do well with house plants. Outdoor plants tend to do better here.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Your cat gets into everything? That's what cats do. As far as allergies, have you taken him to the vet for that? A lot of cats have feline herpes, which makes them sneeze, and makes their eyes water and get gunky. My vet recommended a product called Duralactin with L-lysine. It's an over the counter product that can be purchased online. My kitties really like it, and it's definitely helped. Blessings to you and kitty.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
dolphinpatronus

SnowCat wrote:Your cat gets into everything? That's what cats do. As far as allergies, have you taken him to the vet for that? A lot of cats have feline herpes, which makes them sneeze, and makes their eyes water and get gunky. My vet recommended a product called Duralactin with L-lysine. It's an over the counter product that can be purchased online. My kitties really like it, and it's definitely helped. Blessings to you and kitty.

Snow
He has been to the vet. He gets what they call rodent ulcers in his mouth. I have to give him a medicine called Atopica that is supposed to help keep them from happening. I should say when I say he gets into everything I mean he goes so far as to chew on door hinges. Lol I've never owned a cat that has gotten into as much as he does.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I usually have to chase Max out of the dryer before I can put the wet laundry in. Rusty has been known to almost get shut in the refrigerator. Xena likes to chew on my books. Especially whatever one I'm trying to read. I don't think I have anyone that chews on door hinges. That's a new one.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”