Christian Witch for Beginners

Discussion for and about Christian witches and pagans. How do you merge your two belief systems? Please be kind to Christian witches. I have come to believe that it is a very valid belief system.
Kaito

Christian Witch for Beginners

Post by Kaito »

I'm a Catholic Church member but I am interested in being a Christian Witch. Although I do not yet to tell my parents about it, I am trying to gather knowledge on how this one works so when I reached the right age, I would have the courage to do it. I truly believe on God and every teachings and try to incorporate them to being a witch so that none of it would contradict since I treat it as a part of our culture.

Do any of you know things that I must learn for the path I will soon take? Also, my mother is not that very religious but she visit several churches and felt attached to them during her times, Is she, in any case worked with that certain saint?
Ravensilverclaw

Re: Christian Witch for Beginners

Post by Ravensilverclaw »

Pray
hailmary

Post by hailmary »

Oh golly. This is a really old post and I am fairly sure you are no longer an active member, but I still think answering it will help other people who may be in the same situation.

(I will be sourcing a ton from phoenyxwitch on tumblr because they are great)

Being a witch is something I, personally, keep separate from church. I prefer it being secret due to witchcraft being /wrongly/ frowned upon in Catholicism.

Anyway, he most important thing to becoming a Christian witch is to first address how you view the bible. I personally believe the bible was written by men, and not by men directly controlled by God. This means that the oral traditions and metaphors could have gotten tainted by man's own opinion on certain matters when written down. The New Testament, especially Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John/s, tends to be what I live my life by. Even then, I still take in account for the history of the time period, and man's own opinion tainting the holy book. If you believe that everything in the bible is 100% straight from God's mouth, witchcraft may not be the best path for your personal journey.

The next step in being a Christian witch is to understand what the Bible says about witchcraft. To quote phoenyxwitch on tumblr;
Let’s go over some of the commonly used words in the bible that reference magic:

* m'nachesh (from nahash which as a noun, nahash translates as snake, and as a verb it literally translates as hissing. Also been used to mean whispering. In the bible is used as “Enchanment” or “Enchanter”)

* m'onen (Onan literally translates as clouds. Used in the bible as “divination” and “augury”)

* Qesem (Divination)

* Kashaph (either means to mutter, or comes from the root words kash (herb) and hapalah (using). The Septuagint (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septuagint) translates the phrase as pharmakia (poison), so it may refer to magic potions.)

* ba'al ob (master of spirits)

* yidde'oni (gaining information from ghosts/medium)

* doresh el ha-metim (one who speaks to the dead)

* sho'el ‘ov (communicating with the dead)

* qosem q'samim (predicting the future using lots)

* chover chavar (using knot-tying to perform magic. Also translated as Charmer)

* Pharmakeia (drug user/poisoner/dark magic)
Each of the above words are words used to describe magic in the bible. Depending on the bible, the translation can differ greatly. For example.... (phoenyxwitch as source again)

m'nachesh is found in two passages: Leviticus 19:26 ‘You must not try to tell the future by signs or black magic.' (New Century Version) and Deuteronomy 18:10-11 'Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft' (New International Version)

Deuteronomy 18:10-11 can also be interpreted as (Living Bible (TLB)) 'For example, any Israeli who presents his child to be burned to death as a sacrifice to heathen gods must be killed. No Israeli may practice black magic, or call on the evil spirits for aid, or be a fortune-teller, or be a serpent charmer, medium, or wizard, or call forth the spirits of the dead.'

Since we know m'nachesh is associated with snakes and black magic, most modern witches see these quotes to mean "Do not practice dark magic, or magic associated by the devil". We also have to take in account for the hostility towards the Israelites and many other religions at that time. Which would play a role in how they perceived each other. Especially after the whole shenanigans in Egypt.

Both these quotes are also in the Old Testament, which was revises when Yeshua/Jesus died on the cross. Therefore many of the old ways no longer applies to modern Christians.

If you ever wanted me to go through each term, I would be more than willing to. However, to save time- I will sum up what some Christian witches believe from the above terms:
  • 1. Put Yahweh/God/Jehovah above all other Gods; as long as you do so, working with other Gods is alright
    2. Do not perform "dark" magic or practice hypnosis without another person's consent
    3. Do not work with the dead (some Christians say only the dead of humans, some say just demons/evil dead, and some say all spirits should not be worked with. It is how you translate it and which bible you use)
    4. Do not ask any other Gods to help in fortune telling, always do divination in Yahweh's name
    5. Yeshua/Jesus said absolutely nothing about witchcraft, therefore as long as you follow his teachings none of the above apply.
Alright, now that we got all the hard stuff out of the way. On to how do you begin practicing. The best answer is research! Remember, witchcraft isn't a religion but a craft. Look into different ways to practice the craft, and start trying it out! Even biblical characters used herbs and rocks to achieve goals. Remember, as long as you do everything out of love and in Yahweh's name. You are being a Christian witch. Do not let anyone convince you otherwise. So get out there and start reading! Sea witchery, green witchery, kitchen witchery, everything is open to you! :)
silverowl

Post by silverowl »

Thanks for the response hailmary! I'm glad you still responded on an old thread. I'm still trying to find my own path and this really answered some of my questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

I missed this thread. Good info, especially the old Hebrew (or Aramaic?) words. Yet again, proof that all this metaphysical stuff is old news, and also common to many cultures, and then in recent times (starting at about the Dark Ages, or so), got sort of deleted from common knowledge, and thrust into the "occult" world, leaving the masses ignorant of their own power, abilities and genetic heritage. I see this time and time again happening in different cultural contexts, including in Asia, too. Thanks hailmary for posting (if you're still around, hasn't logged in since October 2015 looks liked, though). Into my grimmy it goes.

nope1234567890

Post by nope1234567890 »

AHA!! I've finally found people who think alike.
I believe that the Bible is fallible. I believe the writers gave the best testimony they could, and much of it is very correct, but you have to look at some things that contradict each other, make no sense, etc, etc.(Also, mistranslations are everywhere.)I believe much of these quotes could be accurate, but go against harming others with your magic, which is a terrible thing to do anyways plus i believe in the three fold rule,and YOU GET IT BACK AT YOU THREE TIMES HARDER TEEHEE!!!!! Okay, lets get back on track.

If God put you on this earth, and come on, you already know your a witch. God created you like this way, don't deny it! God gave you the gift of herbs, crystals, spells, and a ton of other likeminded people. Use it. Don't deny it because others think you are going to "burn in hell." God loves you. This is YOUR path, not theirs.

I'm actually only just beginning, and for other beginners it may help to choose a saint or person from the bible as your deity, like many witches do. For example, Mother Mary is something like a deity to me.

Good Luck!!! -Willow
A spiritual journey is like this, there are multiple paths.
And you choose whichever one you want, gosh darn it!
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

People of any religion can practice magic without summoning anything but sacred Earth 🌎 energy. IMO switching Saints as Deities would probably piss off the Saint who wouldn’t see themselves usurping their God. However Saints do intercede when requested.

St Francis of Assisi gave us the Canticle of the Sun which is similar to a circle rite using the Sun & Moon to provide the duality a circle needs for power & addressing natural elements for balance. The Canticle is very compatible with the core of witchcraft.

Most high, all powerful, all good Lord! All praise is yours, all glory, all honor, and all blessing. To you, alone, Most High, do they belong. No mortal lips are worthy to pronounce your name.
+ Be praised, my Lord, through all your creatures, especially through my lord Brother Sun, who brings the day; and you give light through him. And he is beautiful and radiant in all his splendor! Of you, Most High, he bears the likeness.
+ Be praised, my Lord, through Sister Moon and the stars; in the heavens you have made them, precious and beautiful.
+ Be praised, my Lord, through Brothers Wind and Air, and clouds and storms, and all the weather, through which you give your creatures sustenance.
+ Be praised, my Lord, through Brother Fire, through whom you brighten the night. He is beautiful and cheerful, and powerful and strong.
+ Be praised, My Lord, through Sister Water; she is very useful, and humble, and precious, and pure.
+ Be praised, my Lord, through our sister Mother Earth, who feeds us and rules us, and produces various fruits with colored flowers and herbs...
+Praise and bless my Lord, and give thanks, and serve him with great humility.

A Christian Witch might pray to The Father-Mother God and petition intercession of Angels & Saints through prayer-offerings. Look up prayers honoring Archangels, Guardian Angel & Patron Saints. Look up a list of patron-saints. What’s a votive rack but candle magic? Christians & candle magic just go together😉.

. Easy circle: sprinkle holy💦water 🔄, lite🥢incense, point-&-push👉🏼 to cast ↩️
. Candle burn-time: taper @1-inch/hr, tea-light 2-4 hrs, votive 10 hrs, & 5-7 day vigil light
. Color use: 🔴🟠stimulates, 🟡🟢sustains, 🔵🟣 relaxes conditions
. Scent use: sweet🌺peace, citrus🍋purify, spicy🌶🧂protection, forest🌲prosperity
. Place sigil & petition📝papers under candles; place💎crystals, Holy cards & Saints 🏅medals next to spell candles
. Spell Candles - Cleanse with Holy💦Water, anoint with💧oil, 👏🏽 charge with the intention, place in a holder & lite; offer prayers, Bible verses or Psalms. Let a Spell candle burn itself out & dispose of spent stubs 🚮
🕯 . . . ➕ . . . 🕯
💎🕯🏅
📝
🧂💦 . 📖 . 💧🥢
You could use Moon-water for DIY Holy Water. Bless salt & water separately In the Names of the (+)Father-Mother, (+)Son and (+)Holy Spirit, I charge you creature of salt/water with the power to dispel all harmful forces. Add 3 pinches salt to 1/4 cup water & 🙌🏽. Likewise charge olive oil & add 1 pinch of blessed salt to 1-Tbsp oil. Add essential oil scents if wanted.

Book of Lights suggestions
. Use a ring binder to add or remove pages or a blank book for fixed pages
. Use colored pencils & pens, scissors, ruler, glue stick, press-on correction tape, post-it notes
. Print out annual Moon phase calendar if you go by the moon
. Print calendar pages & write in Saints Holy days & holidays
. Print Saints Holy cards & cover with clear packing tape for durability; store in an envelope ✉️
. List Angel’s & Patron Saints associated patronage, prayers, colors, symbols, dates
. Lists “by need” save writing; Topic headings - health, home, love, prosperity, protection with Bible verse/Psalm number, Saint, herb, stone, incantations listed for each
. How-to’s for: Amulets, 🫖Brewing, Circle-casting, Candle-spell, Charging, Consecrating, Knots, Sigils
. How to make: candles, holy water & oil, easy incense, scent-infused oil
. Recipes: Brews & concoctions to banish the grims; cramps, colds, coughs
. Favorite song 🎵 lyrics
. Your supply websites, user IDs & passwords

Planetary correspondences
. Begin spells on the weekday associated with the intent & use relevant color accents
🟡Sunday (Sun), leadership, health, advice
⚪️Monday (Moon), marriage, family, psychic endeavors
🔴Tuesday (Mars), conflict, legal matters
🔷Wednesday (Mercury), light blue-aqua, communication, education, divination
🔵Thursday (Jupiter), finances, job, prosperity, protection
🟢Friday (Venus), love, allure, fertility
⚫️Saturday (Saturn), black or dark blue; endings, banishings

Holidays for Christian Witches
. Solstices mark the light & dark halves of the year - light when hours of daylight lengthen & Nature begins to renew🌞, & the dark half when daylight hours shorten & Nature begins dying-off 🌚. Solstices are the birthdates of 🌞Jesus (Dec 25) & 🌚John the Baptist (Jun 24); John & Jesus we’re both sacrificed (John beheaded & Jesus crucified) & both are symbolized in bread (John as the harvest loaf 🍞 and Jesus as the bread of life & Communion). The wheat🌾 from which bread is made is both a Pagan & Christian symbol of life, death & rebirth.
. Equinoxes are times of equal day & night hours. Lady Day(Mar 25) recalls the Annunciation when the Angel Gabriel announced Jesus’s conception to Mary. Easter on the 1st Sunday after the 1st full moon following the Spring Equinox. Michaelmas (Sep 29)is the feast of Archangel St Michael & venerates all angels; historically it is the end of the harvest celebration.

Powers of the Psalms by Anna Riva, inexpensive reference for candle magic
See the posts Christian Candle Magic and Candle Magic with Psalms

St Francis of Assisi Holy card
https://images.app.goo.gl/QGeH3THvcgykqKy99
(Tap the reroute choice)

Return to “Christian Witchcraft”