Need Contacts for Admins & Mods w/o logging in

If you have a suggestion or comment about the board you can share it here.
Soul

Need Contacts for Admins & Mods w/o logging in

Post by Soul »

Yesterday, I changed my profile email address. Immediately, the system informed me that my account became deactivated. :surprisedwitch: I did not see anywhere on the page, for changing my account info, any message stating that deactivation would happen. I received an email informing me that I would have to wait until a site Admin reactivates my account. :anxious: And a message came up on the forum site, stating (paraphrased): "If you are having trouble signing into your account, contact the forum administrators." ??? There seemed to be no way to contact directly any of the Admins or Mods. :?

I looked at the list of Admins and Mods. That page is here:
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 31884.html

For Starwitch (Owner), the contact info is simply the URL of the EUTM main web site. And there it has a link to the EUTM facebook page. I sent Starwitch (site owner) a message via the EUTM facebook page. But I wanted to explore other possibilities also.

I went back and looked at the list of Admins and Mods. Xiao has an Etsy shop page. But Etsy requires registering an account to contact the shop owners there. So looked on the list of Admins/Mods again. Kassandra has a BlogSpot page, but it appeared not used or updated since 2014 January (nearly a year ago), and I did not see any "contact" link. Echo_of_shadows has a tumblr page, but tumblr totally baffles me (more than twitter!), and I did not see any "contact" link. And Alura Noel has a facebook page link listed, but when I clicked it, I got a message stating that the page does not exist.

I waited a day. No response from the EUTM facebook page. So I looked again on the EUTM main site, and a link near the bottom goes to Starwitch's personal facebook page. So I sent Starwitch a message to her personal facebook page. But since I didn't see any status updates posted on either the EUTM facebook page or on Starwitch's personal facebook page since November 20, I thought perhaps my messages might not be read right away. (And almost 24 hours had passed since I sent a message to the EUTM facebook page, with no response.)

So, I went back to the Admins/Mods page and tried the option of contacting Xiao via Etsy. I registered on Etsy (required for sending messages to shop owners there) and sent Xiao a message via Etsy. She responded within a couple hours or so and reactivated my account. (That was rather quick, in my opinion.) Thanks, Xiao!!! :D

I should've registered on Etsy and contacted Xiao right after my account got deactivated.

I see two Big Problems here. First, why do user accounts automatically get deactivated when the account holder is simply changing some account information? (Other sites don't do that. At most, they send an email message with a confirmation link. But they don't deactivate the user's account.) In my case, I was changing my registered email address. And there is not any noticeable warning that changing one's account info is going to automatically deactivate one's account! The "contact admins/mods" message seems almost useless, because a person has to jump through a lot of hoops to reach an Admin or a Mod. At least I had to. And If Xiao did not have an Etsy shop, I have no idea when or if my account wouldn't gotten reactivated. (It can feel very perplexing not knowing what's happening "behind the scenes.")

That leads to the second problem. There are not any easily accessible contact links, to get an account holder directly to an available Admin or Mod. It would've been helpful to know these things in advance: 1) changing/updating your account info will deactivate your account; and 2) you may have difficulty reaching an Admin or a Mod when you cannot log in/sign in to your account.

So, can there please be More Admins and Mods with Direct Contact links that are available when an account holder is not logged in? Or at least can there be Highly Visible Statements warning account users of the consequences of changing their account information? (Maybe it was there on the page and I simply overlooked it because I never expected such a result to occur. I apologize if the warning was there and I missed it.)

I see that some Admins or Mods do have some email link contacts listed in their profiles. These email links are visible only when an account holder is logged in. And the links are not actual email addresses, but they are message forms. Can there be a couple actual email addresses listed and visible without being logged in -- or a message box available without having to be logged in? (I realize that makes the site vulnerable to spam.) So, would some Admins or Mods (in addition to Starwitch and Xiao) have any facebook pages where forum members can contact someone to get help logging in?

But before I end this post, I want to again say, "THANKS TO XIAO FOR BEING THERE FOR ME," once I decided to go the route of registering on Etsy. :D

THANKS XIAO!!! :D
I'm glad to be back into the forums.
And even with my recent difficulty and frustration, I want to commend Starwitch for having a great site here. :)
I wish everyone PEACE and BRIGHT BLESSINGS! :)

Soul
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need Contacts for Admins & Mods w/o logging in

Post by Xiao Rong »

Dear Soul,

I'm really sorry for your recent frustrations with the system. I wasn't aware that you needed to be logged in in order to email the forum admins. As it is, I'll go ahead and post the email address that is associated with my forum account and my Etsy:

rxiao (at) rocketmail.com

(as a general note for everyone: please don't use this email address for any other reasons, though -- I'd prefer to communicate via PMs for business regarding this site. I don't want to have to take it down and leave other members in the dark when similar situations arise)

I typically log in and approve new accounts once every two or three days, so I would have seen it and approved it eventually, but please feel free to contact me directly at the above email address if you need to.

As for why your account was deactivated when changing your email or username -- I'm not sure exactly what the settings are for that, since I don't have access to that (only Star does). Let me see what I can do about getting a public post up about when your account will be deactivated, and how to get it reactivated.

Thanks for your patience,

Xiao Rong
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~

Return to “Suggestions/Comments”