One of my poems.

Post your poems here. If you post a poem by another author, which is fine, please give the author's name if you know it.
Ashalia

One of my poems.

Post by Ashalia »

This is a poem I have written when I received a boost of inspiration to write and the image of a rose was the first thing that popped into my mind. Here it is, the poem is called Scarlet Rose.

There she rests within the soil of the earth
The visage of crimson beauty adorn the blossom
The emerald stream beneath it, is all that prevents it from falling.

Those who see it, dare not touch it for they will feel it’s sting
The thorns in which envelope it acts as an erected barrier
Which prevents her demons from getting too close
And to her dismay she is alone within the world
A lonely flower longing for a life long companion
Who will be there to catch her when she falls

Each day that passes a petal edges it’s way towards the ground
Letting those around know that she is dying a slow, and yet painful death.
Until she is nothing more than that of a withered flower,
that is to become one with the weeds
Arianna Kigyosy

Re: One of my poems.

Post by Arianna Kigyosy »

I like your poem, it’s beautiful. :)
Ashalia

Post by Ashalia »

Thank you. :)
Soul

Inspiring [Re: One of my poems.

Post by Soul »

Ashalia,
You've drawn the analogy quite vividly between the life of the flower and that of a woman. And the thorns, which are a natural defense, are also ironically a hindrance to making a connection and being embraced. I also like your color imagery and your emphasis on earthy elements. There is active movement in this poem, from her blossoming forth from the earth and ultimately withering back to the earth to become one with the weeds. And yet, she has lived as a flower, and not a weed. Will she be remembered as a flower? More irony. I also like the contrast of her beautiful petals with her thorns -- both part of her nature, showing that life is both lovely and painful, both longing to open up and reach out but also being self-protective. There is risk in both. You present the theme, imagery, and emotion very convincingly. You seem to be a natural at writing poetry. I would like to read more of your work. (Maybe it will motivate me to take up writing poetry again. I'm currently working on a prose writing project.)

Ashalia, thanks for sharing your poem. :)
Soul
Ashalia wrote:This is a poem I have written when I received a boost of inspiration to write and the image of a rose was the first thing that popped into my mind. Here it is, the poem is called Scarlet Rose.

Ashalia

Re: Inspiring [Re: One of my poems.

Post by Ashalia »

Soul wrote:Ashalia,
You've drawn the analogy quite vividly between the life of the flower and that of a woman. And the thorns, which are a natural defense, are also ironically a hindrance to making a connection and being embraced. I also like your color imagery and your emphasis on earthy elements. There is active movement in this poem, from her blossoming forth from the earth and ultimately withering back to the earth to become one with the weeds. And yet, she has lived as a flower, and not a weed. Will she be remembered as a flower? More irony. I also like the contrast of her beautiful petals with her thorns -- both part of her nature, showing that life is both lovely and painful, both longing to open up and reach out but also being self-protective. There is risk in both. You present the theme, imagery, and emotion very convincingly. You seem to be a natural at writing poetry. I would like to read more of your work. (Maybe it will motivate me to take up writing poetry again. I'm currently working on a prose writing project.)

Ashalia, thanks for sharing your poem. :)
Soul
Ashalia wrote:This is a poem I have written when I received a boost of inspiration to write and the image of a rose was the first thing that popped into my mind. Here it is, the poem is called Scarlet Rose.

I thank you for your kind words. I am pretty connected to nature and when I received that inspiration to write this, I pictured a rose; however, I ended up using the rose to write about the feelings of wanting to reach out, yet the barriers that have been erected prevent such actions. I have written other poems, some that I may post here. :)
Alatoru
Banned Member

Post by Alatoru »

This is well written poem. I am fan of poetry but you write it in prose. Which is also good :D .
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless it roots reach down to hell. - Jung

Return to “Poetry”