Tail Docking (Amputation) is Cruelty to Dogs

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Tail Docking (Amputation) is Cruelty to Dogs

Post by Starwitch »

It breaks my heart to see our sweet little Yorkie and our Schnauzer wagging their tiny stumps, knowing that there should be a full tail there to express their emotions. I really believe that dogs are traumatized and emotionally scarred by having their tails removed. Many experts agree. There's no reason to continue the practice, so why aren't we stopping? It's largely because of the American Kennel Club's "breed standards", which tell breeders to dock the tails of certain breeds. Tail docking (amputation) is a painful procedure performed on days-old puppies without anesthesia. Please sign the petition to tell the AKC to take tail docking out of the official breed standards. Thank you.

Please sign the petition

Learn more about tail docking:

Why are some dogs’ tails cut? Should they be? The Dog Trainer discusses (and debunks) 6 arguments in favor of tail docking

Part 2 - Reasons Not to Dock. Proof that Puppies Feel Pain

The above articles are also available on audio on the right side of the page.

PETA on Ear-Cropping & Tail Docking

Study done to see if puppies experience pain during tail docking (Yes, they do)
LoneWhiteWolf

Re: Tail Docking (Amputation) is Cruelty to Dogs

Post by LoneWhiteWolf »

Not just tail docking, but ear docking too! I see so many images of pitbulls with pointy ears its horrible.
Dogs use body language to communicate which includes both tail and ears, so to see them hacked off is horrible :/
Im the UK its now illigial to dock tails unless its for a ligit medical reason. Im happy to see Rotties with tails, they have wonderfull tails :)

I hate the 'breed standard' in dog showing, i also hate show clipped poodles, but thats another topic altogether :'D
~ Feel the earth under your paws and explore. ~
~ Even the narrowest path could lead to the widest opening. ~
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I'm not a fan of being whacked with my granddog's tail. She's an English Mastiff, so it's like being clubbed. I wouldn't want her to not have it. Breed standards should be changed to reflect the natural appearance of the breed.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

The AKC is the worst organization on the planet.. The make a buck ($$$) for every puppy they "register" and the mills keep churning them out. Making the parents live in tiny cages stacked on top of each other inside buildings with no sunlight and no vet care their entire lives. Most of the parents of the puppies bought online live in squaller. But, they keep selling them because people keep buying them. And every time a group gets some piece of legislation up and going, who rides into the puppy mills rescues? The stinking AKC. Thank you for sharing this, I will sign!

Rosie [GREEN HEART]

Return to “Animals and Pets”