Gemstone wrapping

Discussion and questions about the magical properties and uses of crystals and stones.
Cinda

Gemstone wrapping

Post by Cinda »

Any recommendations for tutorials/videos for wrapping stones in specifically shells? I have a few shells I picked up recently that I'd love to actually wear. I'm pretty crafty, but I've never wrapped before.

Thanks!
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gemstone wrapping

Post by Xiao Rong »

What kind of shells? I've wrapped a few so far, still trying out new ideas. I've had the best luck wrapping moon snail shells; I'll try to post a picture of them when I can.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Gemstone wrapping

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Following, also working on shell jewelry. :)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 29465.html

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 29462.html

This guy Bry, seems to have got the tech down...perhaps you should contact him.
ff
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

This one I wrapped was very simple and I think shows off the beauty of the shell.

These two are wrapped like cabochons, which are slightly more advanced; this video is a great introduction. The moon snail shells are a little irregular, which makes it a bit more tricky and shells have to be treated a little more gently than stones; I've chipped a few while wrapping them.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Sweet!
I should learn this...I have shells for days!
and stones,
and twigs,
and feathers,
and leaves...
hahahahahahahahahahahahah :mrgreen:
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
justbry

Post by justbry »

There's a bunch posted on Youtube, try typing for a channel named Liz Kreate, she has basic
tutorials for gemstones, but I'm sure you can also apply them to shells and other things.

Good luck :] It's a really fun and rewarding hobby :D
Cinda

Post by Cinda »

Thanks! Xiao, those are most of what I have. Felt drawn to a few while I was walking in the ocean recently, and I'd like to wear them. I like that simple wrap, nice!

I'll check out all the links and ideas, thanks!
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

Very nice! This gives me some ideas. I think I need to invest in silver wire.
Myrth
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Will any craft store provide the wire? I have a few shells that have perfect holes in them, made by other mollusks when they were alive. I would like I run something through them and then put beads on it to make a necklace. Any suggestions for materials? Lastly, I have this one angels wing shell I would like to wrap but it is very fragile. It has a hole in it already and I don't want it to crack further. I would also like to incorporate a feather or something to cover the hole. Suggestions? Image
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

I'm sure any store like Michael's will carry the wire you need. I've even found wire at Walmart, although their quality is somewhat more suspect. I'd suggest 22 gauge wire for wrapping the shell, and thinner wire (higher gauge -- 26 and up, since higher gauge = thinner wire) if you were going to do a lot of beading.

As for the broken shell -- it's super pretty! Covering it with another feather might be really cool.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Thanks for the advice Xiao! My plan is to hit up Joann's - it's a craft store, when I get paid at the end of the month and see what all they have. I know they have stuff for making jewelry so hopefully it can be a one stop shop for me. As for the feather.. I'm hoping I just"find" one. But I've also asked my friends husband to collect a few on his hunting trips. I hope they aren't too large...
justbry

Post by justbry »

I go to Michaels for my wire, I mostly work with copper and nickel wire, but sometimes I also
work with the copper-colored ones, but mostly stick to the 'bronze' or 'gun metal' colored ones. There's
also craft wire which is tarnish free, I'm not exactly sure what type of metal they use though.

I like working with Copper wire, mostly cause of the color and the patina it creates over time. Also
copper when used with gemstones and crystals enhances/energizes the crystal/stones energy.

You should grab a plier kit; they're relatively cheap especially if you're just trying it out for the first time and don't
want to shell out a lot of money.

Good luck, I hope this helped :]
justbry

Post by justbry »

^random Citrine wrap I made :]

Return to “Crystals and Gemstones”