Dianic Witchcraft

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
Middleagedseeker

Dianic Witchcraft

Post by Middleagedseeker »

Greetings all! So I am curious if anyone out there is familiar with Dianic witchcraft? More specifically, if anyone knows about the different Dianic Schools that I am checking out? One is called The Apple Branch and is run by Bendis, then there is The Temple Of Diana run by Ruth Barrett, and Z Budapest's website is the third one. I'm taking my time researching all three because I don't want to spend a lot of money right now, and not too sure which one is the best for me? Anyone know anything about any of these online schools? :flyingwitch:
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dianic Witchcraft

Post by Firebird »

The women from the Circle of Aradia were a great comfort when one of our Priestesses was crossing over. They took turns drumming and singing siting vigil and holding sacred space.
Circle of Aradia was Ruth Barrett's first group, and I would have to say because Ruth and I are acquaintances I would highly recommend her and the Temple of Diana, she is a wonderful woman and a talented musician.
I am not really familiar with the other groups you mentioned.
Best wishes in your quest.
Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Middleagedseeker

Post by Middleagedseeker »

Thank you Firebird for your reply. I will contact Temple of Diana to learn more. I've also found a school for Goddess studies called IN HER NAME. It's not dianic but looks interesting.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

In Her name sounds intriguing :D
I also wanted to mention that Ruth has a pretty good book out called "Women's rites, Women's mysteries".
I haven't finished it yet, but what I have read so far has been very interesting.
blessings,
Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Elfinstone

Post by Elfinstone »

Middleagedseeker wrote:Greetings all! So I am curious if anyone out there is familiar with Dianic witchcraft? More specifically, if anyone knows about the different Dianic Schools that I am checking out? One is called The Apple Branch and is run by Bendis, then there is The Temple Of Diana run by Ruth Barrett, and Z Budapest's website is the third one. I'm taking my time researching all three because I don't want to spend a lot of money right now, and not too sure which one is the best for me? Anyone know anything about any of these online schools? :flyingwitch:
I have found that Aradia has presented a path for us to walk that is available to all of the pagani. Look further into the praxis if you wish to find a place that offers so much.
freyja13

Post by freyja13 »

Can you be a male and worship Diana?
Elfinstone

Post by Elfinstone »

freyja13 wrote:Can you be a male and worship Diana?
I see no reason why not. Aradia was the "representative" of Diana, and she was foremost the champion of the common folk (pagani), witches (not just stregheria) and all who follow Diana. I also see Aradia as a contemporary of both Ganesha and Quan Yin, the parallels are surprisingly similar.

True, Diana has been adopted by females in the modern era, this should not change the immediate message of "her" and la bella pellegrino.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

In my experience, each deity has something intrinsic to him or herself, that will resonate to different individuals regardless of gender. Some deities may be more male or female oriented, but exclusivity would tend to create imbalance.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Elfinstone

Post by Elfinstone »

SnowCat wrote:In my experience, each deity has something intrinsic to him or herself, that will resonate to different individuals regardless of gender. Some deities may be more male or female oriented, but exclusivity would tend to create imbalance.

Snow
How true. One cannot dismiss just how many sites and organisations are fiercely, exclisively female, Dianic ones included. How sad to eliminate potentially 50% of those called by her.
freyja13

Post by freyja13 »

Elfinstone wrote:
freyja13 wrote:Can you be a male and worship Diana?
I see no reason why not. Aradia was the "representative" of Diana, and she was foremost the champion of the common folk (pagani), witches (not just stregheria) and all who follow Diana. I also see Aradia as a contemporary of both Ganesha and Quan Yin, the parallels are surprisingly similar.

True, Diana has been adopted by females in the modern era, this should not change the immediate message of "her" and la bella pellegrino.
Thank you so much!

Once, I met a fellow man who worked at my local supply store, when I went in, I asked: are there any books on Diana, the Goddess of the Moon, he said yes, but, that ONLY women could practice. He also implied that the Goddess Diana restricted worship and relationships exclusively with women.

I also felt how such a sentiment was out of place for 2015 and societies changing gender roles for the better.

My question on Aradia, however, and I am having alot of problems understanding this is, why would such a Divine being mate with the Devil giving birth to Aradia? Secondly, as a Wiccan, how can we learn from Aradia, the demi-Goddess (and please correct me if I am wrong, I am only about 1/3 into the book) if the philosophical background of her lineage is part-evil? Thirdly, if Wiccans dont believe in the devil, then what am I and others to make of the book?
Elfinstone

Post by Elfinstone »

Freja13,
Please name the book that you are reading so that I may offer a proper response.
freyja13

Post by freyja13 »

Author: Leland, Charles Godfrey.
Intro by Mathiasan, Robert
Title: "Aradia or Gospel of the Witches"
Publisher: The Witches Almanac
Date of Publication: Oct. 1, 2010
Elfinstone

Post by Elfinstone »

Aha! This has come to be accepted as the best view into the world of Aradia. Present day adherents of streheria in northern Italy do take exception to much of the "deciphering" of the lore covered however. The use of the term "devil" is due to Leyland's own colouring of the passages he purportedly heard. Please consider the Victorian mind set and his own ego when reading this book. The book itself is, and can be of help. If you were to re-read it after your first try, only with a different attitude, one of reading "between the lines" so to speak, then you will get far more out of it.
The truth is awaiting any genuine seeker of Aradia/Diana, we all find it in various ways. I hope you do too.
Chalice

Post by Chalice »

I work magick with Diana and I'm a male.

I don't give my energy time or thought to the Dianic witches that hate me for my gender.

The worst thing I can do to them, is not even have an opinion of those people. Not playing their games. I simply don't care.
Witchcraft & OBOD Druidry.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

freyja13 wrote:Author: Leland, Charles Godfrey.
Intro by Mathiasan, Robert
Title: "Aradia or Gospel of the Witches"
Publisher: The Witches Almanac
Date of Publication: Oct. 1, 2010
The original publish date is 1899, though I do not know the original publisher.

Dianic groups also have many versions of their worship...some do not incude men, even if they have been altered to embrace their true idenity, they are all about women, born women. Then there are others who are fully accepting of men, women in these groups are married to men, or men can attend. It just really depends on the group. One thing that is consistent, their focus is The Goddess, and not the God.
Bb, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”