Junipero Serra to be made a Saint???

Talk about anything you want to here.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Junipero Serra to be made a Saint???

Post by Firebird »

This is really pissing me off. I haven't been this angry in a while and not really sure where to channel it...HOW can you stop something like this??????? Send the Pope a nice little note saying I don't think this is a good idea???? Fuh!!!
Father Junipero Serra caused the annihilation of thousands and thousands of Native Californians. I don't think the indigenous people of this place would consider him saintly...and don't you have to preform a miracle or something? NOT to mention introducing an invasive non native plant that may have been a cutesie idea in the beginning (following the golden road of mustard flowers) but heck those things are everywhere, and who knows what native plants couldn't survive their invasion.
I have great dilemma in this as I tend to be a visitor of the Missions...was just at Mission San Antonio a few days ago and it has some of the best archeological sites left in any of the Missions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_Sa ... o_de_Padua, I go to connect with the Native people who were forced to adapt to a new religion. They were mistreated and many died due to lack of immunity to the white mans diseases. The Missions are about the oldest tangible historical sites in California. The first Mission was founded 1769 in San Diego.
Anyway, he doesn't deserve this, driving people away from their idea of God isn't worthy of Sainthood, though the church would view this as a conquest of the best proportions I'm sure. But to have so many die, be mistreated, enslaved and forced to believe something didn't...they had to conform. It wasn't right.
Eh...I'm so disgusted, if I was Catholic I would be embarrassed as well.

here is a couple articles:
http://www.dailynews.com/social-affairs ... -announces

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/02/1 ... a-monster#

BB, FBF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Sakura Blossom

Re: Junipero Serra to be made a Saint???

Post by Sakura Blossom »

UGH. That is absolutely ridiculous and it's striking a personal chord because I'm currently taking Native American Studies at my college. My eyes have been opened so much more to the things that happened to the Native people of our country and to say I'm livid is an understatement. Seeing that this man was the reasoning behind some of their deaths makes me want to flip tables and break dishware in an angry tangent.

I don't think they'd listen at all, unfortunately, due to the fact that you're right. Catholics would probably view this as conquest and as a positive improvement/advancement. After all, according to one of my readings, the Christian/Catholic settlers viewed the deaths of the indigenous populations due to THEIR diseases as God's will and encouragement to take over their lands.

I'm right there with you, FF. I'm livid now too.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

I've heard of it in our news about this controversial priest and I'm sorry to say this but Catholic Church is indeed WAY "off the mark". Catholicism took everything that their "God" ever taught and twisted it into their own "religion."

So now it means that they'll be praying to a mass murderer? How can someone pray to a man who had role in the oppression and exploitation of innocent people?

Actually when Sierra was beatified by Pope John Paul II there are already some Native Americans in southern California protested. And obviously, it certainly didn't help that, RCC will do everything just to insist and impose what they believe is right! Here in my country, a priest, in defending the push to make Serra a saint, made a statement that he was just being a "hero". And at this point, if one desires to kill another human in order to defend the country or ideology, there can be no moral reason not to.

But despite his act of bullcra*p heroism, I'm really against in declaring him a saint, clearly for moral reasons and injustice!

When Pope Francis visited our country last month, he said that what he wants to build is "society of authentic justice, solidarity and peace," and "the moral imperative of ensuring… respect for human dignity." His decision to make him a saint is unfortunately, puzzling, even disappointing -- especially for a pontiff known for advocating for the rights of indigenous folks.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

:evilwitch: it's happening...
To upset to say much else
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

Ugh.
Becks

Post by Becks »

I say send a lovely kind and factual letter to Papa. I like this Pope. He is forward thinking. Though he may never receive this letter it's worth writing, I'm so out of the loop. I had no idea and need to be bought up to date. I actually like this pope. I don't think he himself is a bad man. He is progressive.
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

Tsk, tsk, tsk... *sigh*
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Horrible! Just horrible ...

Return to “Member's Rants and Ramblings”