Connection with the Earth.

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
famouspoet1999

Connection with the Earth.

Post by famouspoet1999 »

Please forgive me if it seems like I am rambling, I am somewhat new to all of this and I am still studying. I wanted to ask a question without sounding ridiculous but not sure how to do it so here it goes. I know that mother earth can affect us and by that I mean our moods, our feelings, etc. The weather plays a role in how we see the day.

What I was wondering was do we have the same effect on her? I mean can we have a strong enough connection with mother earth, the trees, the rocks, the flowers, the water, etc., that we can actually have an effect the world (mother earth) that is directly around us. If we can, how strong of a connection can it be? Has anyone ever had anything happen like this before?

I am sure it is just coincidence but it just seems like no matter where I go, when my mood changes or my emotions are strong (good or bad), the weather and nature around me seem to almost reflect it. I don't think that is even possible, is it? Like I said, I have never heard of this before, and I am still in my year and a day study but I just wanted to get others opinions on this. I have learned more from these forums than I have from a lot of my readings. Please, no nasty or mean comments. I know what I am saying sounds crazy and strange, and if it is please just say so in a nice way. LOL Thanks for any help in advance.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Connection with the Earth.

Post by Xiao Rong »

I've been meaning to respond to this, but only just got around to it, so sorry for the delay.

Yes, I believe that we absolutely do have an effect on the world and nature, and on a number of different levels. Obviously, we can have an effect on our surroundings through mundane means like littering or planting trees. Many people on the forum have experience with land wights and nature spirits; many cultures throughout history have also worshipped nature spirits. (I feel like it is no surprise that littering makes land wights unhappy!)

On a broader level, I believe that the Divine (whom I call the Goddess; she is the "soul" and the Universe is her body) is always in a relationship with us. Because she is in us, she feels everything we feel. She rejoices when we rejoice; she suffers when we suffer. On balance, she would prefer to be happy than to suffer, just like we would, and because we would prefer to be happy than to suffer. I have not personally observed this, but I don't think it would be surprising that our emotions affect everything around us, both in very straightforward ways (like when our loved ones are happy for us) and also in very subtle, more metaphysical ways (like influencing the weather). The latter is, again, not a very new concept in many spiritualities; you can see evidence of this in many myths. But I think you could also interpret, say, global warming and climate change as the Goddess's response to us destroying the environment.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Kat
Banned Member

Post by Kat »

yes I believe it's possible for your mood to effect the environment. in psycology (that I know a lot of since kindergarden teachers here study it for years), we put humans within the environment together with trees, plants etc. so I guess being a part of nature means it's normal to connect to it. I don't know if this is also the witch way but it sure is the psycological/physical way.
e.g. whenever I'm nervous and feel charged, I electrify humans and water equally. I don't know why it happens but it does.
see we re one with the earth; not just children of it.
*Blessed Be*
famouspoet1999

Post by famouspoet1999 »

Thank you everyone for answering my questions. I don't feel so strange or alone anymore. My husband always plays around with me and picks on me when I am writing. He says, " oh she's thinking hard it is going to snow" or " watch out she is upset it is going to rain". But that is exactly how it feels. I have never been afraid of nature and anytime I have heard of a natural disaster, I always end up crying to some extent even if it is just inside and to myself. I have always been told that I had an angel looking out for me because anytime some bad in nature happened, a tornado, flood, blizzard, I never was hurt or the ones I was with no matter how close I was to it, even in the middle of some of the storms but where I was, never seemed to be touched, like I was guarded. I know now it wasn't an angel, I believe it was nature herself for whatever reason. Growing up everyone would always say I had a green thumb because I could take a plant that was almost completely dead and bring it back to life. Same thing with animals. No matter where I was animals never feared me for long, after just a few minutes of silence around me, they would always come up to me like they could sense I wouldn't hurt them. As a kid I always thought that was the coolest thing. I am glad to see others have the same views I do. Thank you again for answering my questions. I am learning more and more about not only these subjects but about myself as well each day.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I have unintentionally called up windstorms. I try to not do that anymore. Strong emotions can definitely have a ripple effect, and with the earth being a sentient entity, our emotions and activities can definitely affect it.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
famouspoet1999

Post by famouspoet1999 »

SnowCat:
I know how that is. It seems that when I get upset it rains a lot and when I get really angry and can't concentrate or focus on anything, tornadoes seem to show up. I have never been hurt but I have seen more tornadoes in my life than most people would see is 10 lifetimes.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

At least we know we're not crazy.

Snow :flyingwitch:
Daughter of Sekhmet

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”