Tengriism - Nomad shamanism and Religion

YanaKhan

Tengriism - Nomad shamanism and Religion

Post by YanaKhan »

From ancient times, the nomad tribes from Central Asia, Siberia, Turan, Mongolia and others believe in one prime God – the Endless Sky Father Tangra/ Tengri/ Turan/ Tanri (every tribe had their own version of the name). Every one of these tribes had their own version of the other Gods, Goddesses and their history. There are plenty of sources that describe the Mongolian or Turk version of the religion. Here I am going to introduce you to the Bulgar version.

Although most tribes had the same primary God, the lot of them had different deities. Most of the tribes, being nomads did honor their gods in their everyday life, but the Bulgars were one of the few tribes that actually built temples. Another difference between the tribes was the number of deities. Some tribes believed there are about 170 different deities, while others only believed there are 17. Bulgars called theirs Alps – the good ones, and Divs (wild ones) – the bad ones.

The pantheon:

Tangra – God of the endless sky, creator and father of everyone and everything, the one that knows everything.
Umai Khan – mother of the Sun, Mother Earth Goddess.

Alp Marr – alp of the Sun and Chaos. He could turn into a dragon or giant horse. (Horses were sacred for the nomad tribes – the first Bulgarian flag was actually a horse tail on a pike).
Alp – bika(the female version of the alps) Yana (Yankulica/Yanica/Dennica/Zornica) – sister of the Sun. Goddes of light , day, faith. She married a mortal man, who proved himself to be faster than the Sun. She is associated with Venus in the Greek mythology. In some myths she is a wife, in others a sister to Yankul – the god if time.
Alp Yankul (in some sources brother, in some - husband to Yana/Yankulica.) Became alp when he married Yana, after proving he is faster than the Sun. God of time. He has 12 studs of horses – each symbolized a different month of the year. (The Bulgarian calendar had twelve months and has a resemblance with the Chinese calendar. Here’s a link if you are interested. http://www.educatinghumanity.com/2012/1 ... ction.html )
Alp – bika Turran - Goddess of the Moon, love and life. Can turn into swan or a snake.
Div Tuma – div of the mountains, drought and darkness.
Diva (female div) Ulyat – diva of the sicknesses and pestilence.
Alp Dzhil – alp of the winds.
Alp Kubbar – alp of war, storms and thunder.
Alp Sammar / Carga – alp of the light and fertility.
Alp Kermess – alp of the forests,.
Alp – bika Artish – of virginity, animals and home fire.
Alp – bika Ashna – of the open country plants. She was created out of a dew – drop.
Alp – bika Hattin – daughter of Tuma and Ulyat – goddess of the sea life.
Alp Bars – of the justice. He is the Sky judge and banishes everything bad.
Div Azhdahha – son of Ulyat and Tuma, div of lewdness.
Div Shurale – div of misfortune and death. He built a wall that covered the Sun and many people died.
Alp Tashbash – of the roads, travelers and thieves
Alp Tunn – Burry – of the drowned.
Alp Barrin – of the victory in battle and glory.
Alp Ballamir (this one I presume was influenced by mixing with Slavs as the ending of the names with “mir” and “slav” is not at all Bulgar, but is typical for all Slavs) – of the stock breeders. Could turn into a giant bull.
Alp Taygass – of the winter. Has a long white beard and wears big blue hat and blue fur coat.
Alp Boyan – of the healing, divination and magick.
Alp Hursa – of the fire and blacksmiths. Has iron legs and rides a white horse.

Spirits, mystical creatures and places.

Chulmann
– a mystical island at the end of the North. Some tribes have alp Chulmann of the creation. Where the alps and divs were created.
Balkan and Turan – the first lands people inhabited.
Sokol (falcon) – a guardian of the way to Chulmann.
Baradge – a dragon, guardian of the Bulgars.
Elen – queen of the forests, mediator between worlds of spirits and men.
Kordush – a spirit that helps shamans with divination and magick.

There aren’t many reliable sources left on Tengrism and it’s sects (for the lack of a better word). And because the different Bulgar tribes also had their own versions of everything, nowadays it's difficult to say if these were actually the Gods and deities Bulgar people believed in. In the land of modern day Bulgaria the Bulgar tribes mixed with the Slavic and Thracian tribes that originally inhabited these lands and also with Roman and Greek cultures. Also, many documents, temples, pieces of art were completely destroyed when knyaz Boris – Mikhail forcefully imposed Christianity onto Bulgaria and murdered 52 bolyar (noble) clans for not accepting it. The extension of the cultural annihilation was so great that until the 20th century the common belief was that the Bulgar tribes had no pieces of art, were not skilful of any art and were illiterate, raised no cattle and basically had no home. Which is completely untrue. Unfortunately the language and alphabet are not yet completely deciphered and some of the finds’ purposes and meanings are for now unknown.
Still, I hope this is interesting to you.
Here’s link to a blog I find interesting: http://svarga-bulletin.blogspot.com/2009/05/tangra.html
Here's an explanation of the symbols on the Pliska rosette.
Rosette-from-Pliska-22.png
Rosette-from-Pliska-22.png (19.55 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
Shub Niggurath

Re: Tengriism - Nomad shamanism and Religion

Post by Shub Niggurath »

YanaKhan wrote:Also, many documents, temples, pieces of art were completely destroyed when knyaz Boris – Mikhail forcefully imposed Christianity onto Bulgaria and murdered 52 bolyar (noble) clans for not accepting it. The extension of the cultural annihilation was so great that until the 20th century the common belief was that the Bulgar tribes had no pieces of art, were not skilful of any art and were illiterate, raised no cattle and basically had no home. Which is completely untrue. Unfortunately the language and alphabet are not yet completely deciphered and some of the finds’ purposes and meanings are for now unknown.
Same thing happend to Slavs, unfortunately. Thanks to christianization we lost almost all the evidnce of our native slavic traditions, pagan beliefs, deities. All the totems, temples, symbols - everything burned, sunk, destroyed. It is also believed today that Slavs were illiterate as well. The only sources of information about slavic paganism are early christian chronicles, which unfortunately isn't an objective source of information.

Seems like Bulgarian paganism is in a slightly better situation, you managed to present a lot of information. It is very inspiring, I love reading about native beliefs from around the world. And seems like Tengriism and slavic paganism were indeed influencing eachother, I can see a lot of similar types of deities/creatures. Interesting! Thanks for sharing this, Yana :)
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Yes, that's true, unfortunately.
And yes, there are some finds that tell us about Tengriism, however they are yet to be deciphered and are not really reliable. About the literacy - there are 164 Bulgar runes found, so illiterate was something Bulgar tribes were anything but. I know exactly what you are talking about sources about Slavic tribes as in my childhood we were taught that the Slavic tribes were peaceful sheepherders that lived under the iron fist of Byzantium :lol: and the Bulgars, who were about 20 times less than the Slavs, conquered them and forced them into creating a country.
Still, in the Slavic countries many of the Pagan traditions are still preserved in the form of Christian celebrations. Like the Nestinar dancing (barefoot fire dancing) festival which is considered christian, but has nothing to do with Christianity. I think there are festivals like this in every Slavic country.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestinarstvo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF7WpDwzh8s
Shub Niggurath

Post by Shub Niggurath »

Oh yes, there are a lot of pagan traditions that were incorporated into christianism because they couldn't get rid of them otherwise. For example, after Easter we have Lany Poniedziałek (Wet Monday) when men pour water on women to bless them with fertility and health - it used to be a pagan tradition.
We don't have Nestinarstvo, but we have Noc Kupały (Kupala Night) during summer solstice which involves ritual dancing, jumping over bonfires, floating wreats of flowers and looking for a mystical fern flower etc. which is actually a slavic pagan version of Valentine's day.
All those traditions are so beautiful and it's funny how it all turned into christian celebrations but is still preset in our lifes :)
LifeAuras

Post by LifeAuras »

This is a very interesting post Yana, as i was always interested in Bulgarian believes and spiritual enlightenment. I myself have allot information on the subject but never had the time to go through it, only discus it over coffee with several of my friends. It is nice that you took the time to write down in a compact form the main deities of the Bulgars.

Since i am Bulgrian who first came in contact with Religions and spiritual believes from different civilization i always had a whole in my life when it comes down to our heritage. This post somewhat fills in the void and restores the emptiness that i felt when it comes down to our histories and the spiritual paths of our forefathers.
It's what it is
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Ah, LifeAuras, you are back :) Welcome back.
Glad you like it. I agree on the hole part. I mean, it would be very nice to know much about our heritage like the Greeks, Romans and Egyptians. After all it is a very big part of us. Destroying it is such a great loss of history.
Anyways, I am glad I'm not the only one interested :)
And if you have more information, please share, I don't have many sources on the Gods, so it will be very very interesting to read.

Return to “Shamanism”