Pea issues...can't keep them alive!

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
FireRaven

Pea issues...can't keep them alive!

Post by FireRaven »

Okay, so I've been trying for weeks to get some peas going. They sprout quickly, grow quickly, and I harden them off and transplant them, and they start to go, and with the exception of one, they've not made it and I'm not sure why. I didn't have this issue last year. I'm making sure I don't overwater, I fertilize with an organic liquid fertilizer and follow instructions to the letter, and make sure they are well trellised, but after a time they start to dry at the bottom and then before long they're gone. :/ They are growing in a pot that's about two feet deep and about four feet wide, and are well spaced, but I'm wondering if this pot is too shallow? I transplanted the latest batch into a different bed, that is deeper, so we'll see how these fare.

Thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pea issues...can't keep them alive!

Post by Firebird »

I have a terrible time with them as well, some years they are great... some years they start off good then Boom, they look like crap. I think the weather might have something to do with it,at least where mine were concerned. It seems the heat makes them bolt and finish with few flowers. Every year I try...but now I 'm in a place that doesn't get much sun, so now I think they don't like the shade, but as soon as it's hot ...there done.
I wish you the best, may be a little late for planting now, but try a few sets as summer approaches. or wait till next year.
Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
random417

Post by random417 »

Ok, mind you, I asked my mom so this is her advice, cuz i can't keep anything that doesn't walk alive, but... Try leaving them in the starter pots for a bit longer. If you need to, you can let the vine on popsicle sticks. This'll reduce shock. ( at least that's what mom says)
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
FireRaven

Post by FireRaven »

Thanks guys!
I have read that peas do not transplant well. The first few were directly sown into the pot, but we've had weird weather here(I live in AZ), and I think the heat, as Firebird says, is what's affecting them. Usually the heat shoots up to triple digits sometime around early April and pretty much stays there until September/October, but this year it's been up and down, and we haven't hit triple digits yet. We've gone as high as 95 and as low as 60, and I don't think the peas appreciate it. They're bolting early and dying. I'm going to try growing some indoors, where I can control the temperature better and keep them cooler. I am also going to directly sow these and we'll see what happens. Beans weren't too happy this year either and I think it's for the same reason.

Return to “Gardening”