Being Scared

For conversations and questions about hauntings and spirit visitations. This is not the place to talk about demons. In fact, this whole board isn't the place for it. A Christian site is a better place for that.
Veronica_Rose

Being Scared

Post by Veronica_Rose »

Hey All

Ghosts, Spirits and other Paranormal Events tend to have a big part in a lot of the Pagan/Witchy studies. So much so, there's a forum thread here for topics just about it alone! I've realized that haha

Up to this point of my life, I've told myself ghosts don't exist. I know that sounds very ignorant, and I agree it is. Many people have had personal stories of encounters with strange happenings. Including myself, perhaps.... But, I've always pushed it off and told myself it was nothing, if something weird did happen....

I've done this because I get pretty scared really easily. I avoid all scary movies, stories, creepy/eerie sounding music. I get terribly scared/paranoid and physically anxious (knotty stomach/nauseous, hard to breath, kind of dizzy/lightheaded, etc.) when scary things happen on t.v., in stories or if I just get an eerie feeling from something....

However, in my spirituality and path, I want to grow. Through my studies in what I believe, and finding the God and Goddess, and being more balanced and one with nature, my aim is to step out of my comfort zone and explore and learn. I'm starting to kind of want to explore the paranormal... Just a bit right now though. I'm still scared.

Firstly, I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to conquer my fears and anxieties (of paranormal things). Is it something I can grow to get away from, or may the anxiety part be something more biological that I couldn't completely shake? Have any of you been where I am; scared of paranormal at first, but not anymore? Any advice on how I could try to come to grips with this fear, eventually?

Secondly, I was wondering... This may be a really stupid question... But, can ghosts/spirits physically harm you??... Or is that all Hollywood horror? Gosh, if the answer is yes, I may not want to hear it haha >.<

Anyway, thanks everyone. Blessings xx
"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."

Brightest Blessings xx Veronica Rose
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Re: Being Scared

Post by Seraphin »

Actually, I kind of stumbled into paranormal stuffs. I actually started studying a lot more about angel magick, ancient wisdom, Kabbalah, theurgy and other ceremonial stuff and got really tired of having to research about those subjects, so, on a whim, I started to read ghost stories, books about psychic phenomena, and some supernatural related articles.

I really enjoy it because I feel it's an opportunity to tap into some of that "unknown" stuff. It's almost like exploring a totally different side of yourself. I was kind of a scaredy-cat too before, so I feel like I was a good barometer for knowing when it was too much.

I think it's just normal for people be afraid of the unknown, because we can't surely tell whether it's harmful or not. But if you're going to take time and effort to study what's in the unknown, you'll conquer your fears just like what I did in past. Knowledge therefore is the key to overcome the fear of the unknown.

As for your second question if ghosts can physically harm you. Hmmm... that's a tough one, for what exactly do you mean by "ghosts?" Do you mean human spirits? Or do you mean all entities in general, including negative entities, leeches, parasites, astral nasties and such?

To me, most human spirit is usually gentle. They usually call my name in my meditations when they need help and assistance. Though it's also possible for ghosts to cause harm, if provoked. I never provoke human spirits. Some of them aren't really bad spirits; some are just not aware of the effect their presence has on people. Some have no intention of doing harm. It is their energy is weak and they unconsciously suck aura and life force of other beings.

If you're putting negative entities into this category, well then definitely they can attack people. I believe they can manipulate things a bit better than human spirits because they aren't shy with using fear and anxiety as energies. The attack itself may have no other use than to gain that fear from a person.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Veronica_Rose

Post by Veronica_Rose »

Thanks Seraphin
I figured my answer would have to do with knowledge. I've always loved learning, so I guess knowledge would help ease fear what I don't know. That makes a lot of sense, thanks.
Do you think you could kind of tell me what you mean by negative entities? By "ghosts" I meant like human spirits. But, I'll look into learning more. Any advice on subjects I could google?

RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Hello Veronica Rose! I once made a similar post on this page. I wanted to open myself up to paranormal experiences and spirits but I was afraid. What I didn't want was to be watching tv and some horribly disfigured ghost come flying at me to get my attention, I just felt like I couldn't handle that. Who could?

Some of the best advice I found was about shielding. If you can learn to shield yourself, you should be able to filter out the bad and only let in the good. Like Seraphin said, it's normal to be scared of the unknown, so you may be scared as you experience these things for the first time, but you may become more comfortable with it.

Rosie [GREEN HEART]
Seraphin

Post by Seraphin »

Hiya again Veronica Rose!

Such entities and energies may include, but are not limited to:
  • Imps (Lesser nature spirits, gremlins and poltergeists) - They are spiritual entities residing between Planes who create malevolent mischief and discord.
  • Dislocated Souls (Dybbuk) - Malicious detached entities which are capable of possessing humans.
  • Deceivers/ Lying Entities (Psychic or energy leeches, parasites, and phantasmagoric entities) - Monster-like entities that are always on the surveillance for astral bodies that stray into their realm. Some feed upon the auras, energies or prana of other beings. Sometimes they call themselves Daemons and sometimes they call themselves Deities, Angels, Saints and sometimes they claim to be your long dead grandauntie, or some other deceased person. These entities often lie.
I have a friend who once told me he had been getting sick lately, but doctors couldn't seem to find any specific cause. His wife had also been suffering from all sorts of illness. He also said that ever since they transferred to that place, all sorts of negative things have happened to them. From sickness, to death of their pets, to financial problems, to poltergeist activity. When I asked him where they were lived, he mentioned a house where many of my friends also reside once but also decided to leave after a month of staying because of hauntings. I was shocked! I didn't know he lived there. No wonder he'd been having so many problems and misfortunes. I told him that the place they were staying in is full of highly negative entities. I know one family who encountered a series of death (due to nightmares) after moving to that place. When I suggested that he move his family elsewhere, he only politely smiled at me.

There are, of course, many causes of sickness, allegedly paranormal phenomena or the reversal of fortunes. But, if we can't find a logical explanation for it, we have to look elsewhere for a possible explanation. And one possible explanation, although hard to believe, is the intervention of these negative entities.

It's important to remember some reminders if you're faced with the possibility of a negative spiritual manifestation:
  • Protect. Always ground and center yourself, align your Chakras, cleanse your Aura, meditate or pray with your Deities or Guides, use or wear any protective objects such as amulets talismans that are empowered or blessed in the proper ritual.
  • Sense. If you're trained within magickal and psychic disciplines then try to "feel" for your personal aura and energies and/or the auras and energies of the sick person and also the presence of any "negative" entity or energy either within or surrounding you or him/her. The vibration of a victim of negativities (spirits, astral nasties) is different from the vibration of one with a physical illness and also different from the vibration from one suffering from energetic disturbances.
  • Research and study. Another thing you can do is to learn more about the spirit and astral world so you can protect yourself from their bad dwellers. For starters, read magickal and psychics books or join and ask online forums (like this one) so you will learn how to deal with these kind of stuffs.
  • Prepare and engage. Make sure you've gathered the appropriate tools, materials and ingredients necessary for the work to dispatch the attaching entity or energy if the situation calls for such. If you feel the situation is quite complex and complicated. You'll need somebody trained for this purpose. People who are psychic and healers and who have undergone training in magickal and spiritual works can also help you. It's not advisable to perform any spiritual or magickal work if you're uncomfortable or inexperienced. In any circumstances where it's really necessary to do some ritual; whatever the method, modality or magical system used, the most important ingredient is absolute faith and confidence in your Deities or Higher Self. Work your magick in perfect love and perfect trust as the Wiccans would put it.
Seraphin

Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Hello, Rose. (:

I wanted to weigh in with this as I am an actual Paranormal Investigator on a team that is doing rather well and is very active in investigating. I wanted to share my opinions on this based on my personal experiences.

I, too, am afraid of spirits/entities/etc. and it's easier said than done to be quite honest. I'm getting a lot better with it now that I've had the pleasure of working with a psychic medium who has guided me in what I need to do for protection and then I also have had some experiences with investigating that have helped.

One thing I'd like to share is that "paranormal" events happen around us all the time and every day. When we do investigations, 9 out of 10 times we hear nothing, see nothing and experience nothing during the investigation. It's only when we go back to find the evidence and see that htings are going on when we're not aware that told me I don't have a reason to be afraid.

If this is going on when I don't see it or know, then why be scared? (:

Now negative entities are a whole other ball park. The best thing for you, if you do not want to encounter these, is to do as Seraphin said. Shield yourself, always align chakras and keep yourself protected.

Also, I'd like to add DO NOT THINK ABOUT IT. Fear is attractive to negative things and if you're afraid, they may find you. On top of that, if you think about specific ones there's the chance (and this is my personal belief as well as a few others I've talked about, not fact) you could cause those specific entities to come to you or copies of them to appear.

It's very hard NOT to do this and takes practice, but as long as you attempt it then you should be okay. (: You can always ask your spirit guides, deities, relatives in the after life, and so on, to protect you too.

Really, this world isn't scary and as long as you take the right steps and precautions, you will be alright. If you ever have any questions, feel free to contact me! I like to think I have some experience in this area and anything I can help with, I will do my best to do so. I'm by no means an expert, though! No one can know everything on a subject like this even if they insist they do.

We're learning each and every day that things are ever-changing and if we knew for a fact that things were a certain way, we wouldn't have differing faiths and beliefs.

I hope this helped a little bit! (:
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Veronica_Rose

Post by Veronica_Rose »

Thank you guys so much for all the wonderful information and advice!
I'm very much opened to learning a little bit at a time, and being more informed and aware of the unknown around us.
The advice for protection is so very much appreciated too. It gives me some ideas on what I can do if I get uneasy feelings when I'm alone... Even if it's just my own paranoia, it would help to do something protective to make me feel safer and calm. I've heard of shielding before; I'll look more into it! Thanks again xx

Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

If you'd like the shielding method taught to me by the psychic, let me know. ^_^ I've taught it to others who have said it does wonders! It may help out, or it may not but I thought I'd offer in case! Happy to help and glad you found it helpful! Haha.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

^^ I learned sheilding techniques from Sakura, I would highly advise taking her up on the advice!

Rosie [GREEN HEART]
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

To answer your question, can a spirit harm you?

I personally believe that spirits can't, since we're in a different realm then they are. Only a spirit can physically harm another spirit just like only a human can bring harm to another human being. I believe that they can cause some mental and emotional harm, but physically no. I think the stories about people being harmed by spirits, more then likely accidentally harmed themselves trying to get away from the spirits due to fear.

The only way to really prevent any kind of harm from them, is listen to how you feel when in the presences of a spirit. If you feel really uncomfortable, ask the Goddess to protect you or do whatever you feel necessary/comfortable to protect yourself.

Here's one of my personal experiences I've had with a spirit who appeared in a very vivid solid form:
A young-adult, male spirit pull a firearm out at me and shot it at me. The most it did was make my brain feel like mush and I saw a bright light shortly after he shot. I think the spirits intent was possibly to show me how he died.. Or maybe, he wanted to scare me. I don't know. The effects didn't last long and it didn't harm me in any way, but it did keep me up the rest of the night mostly cause I was just unsure of what I saw... And I was quite a bit shaken up.

Hopefully this answers your question.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

That's a very interesting story, WaterMoon! Thanks for sharing! I definitely get the same impression you do from the spirit's intent. That they wished to show you how they passed but also wished to scare you. It's always hard to tell, as this is a realm we're still learning about.

I realized I never answered the question about physical harm before and wanted to share my two cents on it. I was originally planning on it but it totally slipped my mind when I wrote my reply.

Anyways!

I personally think it's possible. I've never had it happen to myself before, so I can't speak from personal experience but I had someone approach my paranormal team saying they've been smacked on the head before. I've been touched by spirits but never physically hurt, so I feel that if we can feel their touch sometimes then there's no reason why we can't be physically harmed. All of this can be avoided, though, with spiritual shielding and all of that fun stuff!

I think it's something that depends person to person, and comes down to personal experiences and beliefs. There's really no way to know for sure, because our minds are very strong. It's possible that the "touching" you feel is your mind playing tricks on you but at the same time, it may not be something like that at all.

I find the entire study of parapsychology and the paranormal in general, to be quite fascinating. (:

Veronica_Rose

Post by Veronica_Rose »

Thanks WaterMoon and Sakura for you opinions and stories!
I can see that two people can have very different opinions, and that this topic of paranormal is still under much investigation. I'll have to formulate my own thoughts, of course. There has been two odd instances in my house that I've questioned if there's something.... I feel comfortable to share them tonight.
First was maybe two years ago. It was really minor, but I remember it well... I was on the stairs, petting my dog because he likes to lay there towards the top. There was still daylight, although I'm not sure what time of day. I leaned down to give my dog a kiss on the head and get up to leave, but out of my peripheral vision, I thought I saw a figure standing at the top of the stairs. But when I fully looked up, I didn't see anything anymore. I couldn't make out the figure... I had a feeling that maybe it could've been possibly my grandmother, because she passed away in this house, and she used to stand at the top of the steps and yell downstairs for my mom, because she couldn't walk well downstairs.
Secondly, I was coming back from the bathroom at night. The hallway was dark save for one nightlight we have there, and my eyes were still adjusting from the bathroom light to the darkness. A few steps out of the bathroom, the strangest thing happened to me. My eyes kind of saw like a figure for a second, but I was in the middle of walking... I stopped, then I feel the weirdest feeling. It felt sort of like wind (but I don't think there was actually, physically wind) and/or perhaps the wind being kind of knocked out of me a bit? I kinda stopped in my tracks and gasped a bit I guess. It's hard to explain... But, from there I also felt freaked out, so I hurried back to my room, and I think I fell asleep with the lights on that night.... This was more recently, like a few months ago in the fall, I believe. I told my boyfriend, and he was joking, be he said maybe I walked through something..... Or someone. Which didn't help me feel any better! haha
So yeah, these two events kind of freaked me out... But, they happened. Anyone have any opinions if I was going nuts, or if maybe they were something?...

Seraphin

Post by Seraphin »

I second Sakura on this one. This is difficult to explain. I believe that even though spirits live in the otherworld, it's very possible for them to somehow physically affect (either harm or benefit) the "living", similarly how Deities can physically affect us. I believe they could perform acts that are normally ascribed to living things. Some people deny this because most probably, they haven't experienced anything like this yet. They are entitled to their own opinion. However, there reports of numerous and verified ghostly encounters in which spirits physically hurt other people or leave physical evidence of their presence or appearance.

For example, our Circle was called to investigate a recent case referred to us that their office was haunted and that he employees were terrified of the sightings of a boy running and playing around or being heard giggling and sometimes, crying. One day, a foreign guest was about to go to the restroom when she suddenly felt hand or something scratch her arm. and it hurt and bled. The businessman who consulted us said she saw the wound and even took pictures of it. Her arm bore nail marks on the upper elbow. And the thing is, she was alone in the restroom.

However, following the argument of some, she probably just bumped a sharp portion of a table, a filing cabinet or some furniture which is very possible, of course, or she just made up the story.

But if there was really a spirit involved there, how they could possibly do this? Well, spirits aren't restricted by the scientific laws and rules of physical world, they are existing outside the realm of space and time. Time and space as such doesn't apply to the spirits, only to us who live in the physical plane. Spirits I believe could therefore cause change in the physical world without being changed themselves.

I know this is not easy to understand because human mind can only deal with physical concepts, and it's therefore virtually impossible for it to picture any existence outside of space and time. This is but another reason that the spirit's manifestation and involvement in the physical plane is unknowable.

On the other hand, humans I believe can also affect the spirit world and other worlds as we have several dimensions or planes of existence. Although the spirit world is unknowable and intangible for us, I believe it is accessible to us at all times. Our plane and their plane are somewhat intertwined, in my opinion.

As for Veronica Rose's question, I personally believe that when spirits or entities wish to bestow some sort of attention to a certain place, their action or activities can be particularly visible there.
Seraphin

SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I am in the process of posting my story in the General Questions area. The thread title is The San Luis Valley. It might answer some questions about interactions with the spirit world.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Veronica_Rose

Post by Veronica_Rose »

Seraphin wrote:I know this is not easy to understand because human mind can only deal with physical concepts, and it's therefore virtually impossible for it to picture any existence outside of space and time. This is but another reason that the spirit's manifestation and involvement in the physical plane is unknowable.

On the other hand, humans I believe can also affect the spirit world and other worlds as we have several dimensions or planes of existence. Although the spirit world is unknowable and intangible for us, I believe it is accessible to us at all times. Our plane and their plane are somewhat intertwined, in my opinion.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Seraphin. I can see where you're getting at here; it's hard to explain, but it could happen. Also, thanks for the tip Snow, I'll check out your thread too!

Return to “Spirits, Ghosts, Paranormal Events”