For a presentation - Help?

A forum for people who follow or are interested in the spiritual path of Druidry (whether neopagan, mesopagan, or reconstructionist), the ancient Druids, and Celtic culture.

Modern Druidry is a 300 year old path that focuses on nature spirituality and inner transformation founded on personal experience rather than dogmatic belief.
Sakura Blossom

For a presentation - Help?

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Okay, so! I've been studying Druidry for a short period of time and am by no means an expert. I'll be doing a presentation about it for our pagan group at school. Because of this, I was wondering to all my fellow druids, if you had to pick essential basics about Druidry that could be shared to teach about it, what would it be?

I was thinking about sharing the behaviors and "rules", so to speak. Like, the belief system of a druid for sure.

What else do you feel would be best shared? And this could also potentially turn into a discussion about what we feel it means to "be a druid". I put this in quotes because I want to stress the importance of how there is no right or wrong way to do anything. I'm really curious to see what your thoughts are!

Thank you all!
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Re: For a presentation - Help?

Post by Seraphin »

When I first attended a lecture/seminar organized and conducted by Ár nDraíocht Féin or ADF (biggest druidic organization in U.S, with a hard polytheistic theology and focusing on scholarly study of ancient Indo-European and Proto-Indo-European cultures and beliefs) many years ago, the first lesson I learned from them was some concepts and principles about the three worlds of Druidic cosmology.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Thanks, Seraphin! Though, I'm still learning so I have no clue what you're talking about. ^^;; I haven't read about anything like that yet, but I know that some orders have different ideas. The book I'm reading right now is the OBOD and so I'm not sure if those are mentioned within this branch of it. Could you please elaborate so I know what to look into for my presentation? Thank you!
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

I'm not sure if OBOD incorporated these to their teachings but I find the Druidic cosmology fascinating to study and learn. Actually if you enjoy the latest and last installment of Harry Potter series, the Deathly Hallows, you could possibly add some pop culture magic to your presentation and that would catch and draw your audience's attention and interest. It's my love of symbolism and synchronicity that piqued my interest to watch the movie : the symbol of the deathly hallows.

Incidentally I was learning about the cosmology of the Druidic tradition and one of the concepts I ran into was there Three Sacred Hallows of Fire, Tree, and Well (ADF cosmology). These are symbols that correspond to the three worlds of the Celtic cosmology. The Well is connected to the Underworld. The Tree is connected to the Middleworld, our world. The Fire is connected to the Upperworld, that of the heavens and Higher realms.

The hallows correspond as well as the three groups of spirits that Ancient Celts worship (Gods, nature spirits, and ancestors). Basically the Hallows embody the spiritual beliefs around which their magick revolve.

Each of these "Druidry Hallows" I think fits smoothly into one of the components of the "Deathly Hallows" symbol:
  • In the movie, the triangle represents the Invisibility Cloak. In alchemy of West and in tattvic symbolism of the East, Fire is always represented as an upright triangle. The Fire as I said is connected to the Upperworld which is the realm of the Gods and Goddesses who are often "invisible" to us. In other orders, this is called the world of "Sky".
  • The circle represents the Resurrection Stone. The Well can be perfectly represented as a circle or ring because of it's obvious shape. It is associated with the Underworld, which is always seen in every culture as the place of "death and rebirth." Some Druids called it the world of "Sea" or "Water" where the spirits ancestors reside.
  • The vertical line represents the Elder Wand. The Tree is just right to be the vertical line in the center in my opinion, just like a bridge linking and uniting the opposite worlds of Fire and Well. The Tree according to the Druids, is associated with the Middleworld where power of "life and growth" manifests. It is also known as The world of "Land" -- the sacred realm of plants, stones, animals, humans and their Spirits.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Oh!!!! No, I remember now. There is a triangle in the book, I just don't have it here with me to look it up and see what it was.

This is helpful, thank you! We just did a for funsies presentation about Hogwarts so this would be cool to use. XD Thanks!!!

Thistle

Post by Thistle »

I can't say I'd be helpful at all, I don't know much about druids, but that deathly hallows thing is really cool! Very interesting Seraphin.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Kandykane, could you please start a new thread for your question, as it does not pertain to the OP's original post.
Also.... stop by and introduce yourself over here...
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... rself.html

Thank you, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Druids and Druidry”