Garden Altar Ideas? Anyone?

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
EmeraldMist

Garden Altar Ideas? Anyone?

Post by EmeraldMist »

Merry meet!

So I started a small herb garden last summer. After a very rough and harsh winter, my garden is in rough shape. I have started fixing it. Half of it has 14 culinary sage plants growing in it (I had the idea of selling it because it's SO popular for cooking!). While fixing my garden this evening, I decided... I want to have an outside altar. I'm very outdoorsy and love the Earth. I don't want an inside altar as inside I feel cluttered yet scattered. Outside is more peaceful and more at home <3

I enjoy viewing different ideas. Any ideas, haves, needs, etc would be great! :)

Brightest blessings! :D
See all, be all
Be one with self
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Garden Altar Ideas? Anyone?

Post by Firebird »

I made one out of large squarish stones,, actually I had several around the garden. I made them so you could put a candle under, the light streaming through the cracks between the rocks was so beautiful.
bb, ff
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Ooh! You could make one of those mini fairy gardens! I absolutely love how they look, they're so cute and you could probably take a similar idea for an altar. ^_^

Something like this!

I've always loved them and hope to do something similar when I have my own garden.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
EmeraldMist

Post by EmeraldMist »

Oh! Great idea Firebird! :)

I love the ideas of a fairy garden! Thanks Sakura! :)

Blessings!
See all, be all
Be one with self
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

No problem!!! When you make your altar I would love to see it. ^_^ If you don't mind posting it, of course.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

EmeraldMist

Post by EmeraldMist »

I will gladly post a picture!! :)
I'm feeling so creative right now but it's SO cold here today and I'm a whimp lol... It was snowing earlier :O
See all, be all
Be one with self
Hellebore

Post by Hellebore »

EmeraldMist wrote:... It was snowing earlier :O
haha it was snowing here earlier too :? I hope the cold did not hurt any of your plants!

I love the idea of having a garden alter and I wish I had the room for one at my house! If I had the space I would make one but instead of having an alter in the garden I would make the entire garden the alter and plant accordingly! I would do this (I will upload a sketch I made with my poor paint skills) in the centre and arrange plants around the garden based on their elemental affiliation. The inner circle I would make probably 1 1/5 - 2 meters wide maybe bigger depending on how much space there was. Yep I would totally do this if I had the room :D I will just have to make do with my container gardens for now!
Attachments
garden.png
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Oh I like that hellebore! I had a cricle garden for a long time before I moved, the whole place was my Altar,
wish I could post a pic but all the photos are on film. Had over 100 different herbs growing there.
ff
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
EmeraldMist

Post by EmeraldMist »

So far, my plants seem fine :)

I do like that Hellebore! I started a small circle. My garden is a small rectangle. But on the back end of it, I built a rock wall and on the other side and part of the rock wall is where I have a small circle. But that's all I could do today. I need some other supplies. But so far so good! And I'm going incorporate a fairy village :)
See all, be all
Be one with self
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Here is a fun video... this is my friends ex....not sure if he still does this, seems a shameless plug in the end, however my friend Regan is on the harp and the two of them harmonizing in the background.
enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnuIVL7sA9o
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
EmeraldMist

Post by EmeraldMist »

That is awesome! Thank you for the share!! The love the uniqueness! And love the harp music! :)
See all, be all
Be one with self
Siona

Post by Siona »

Sakura Blossom wrote:Ooh! You could make one of those mini fairy gardens! I absolutely love how they look, they're so cute and you could probably take a similar idea for an altar. ^_^
I'm doing this in my grandparent's garden this year! I found a little statue of Aphrodite, and a little statue of Artemis, and I want to set up miniature temples to them in the herb corner. :)

In the past I had a large flat rock supported by two bricks, to make it tall enough to kneel in front of and work at. Simple, but effective.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I really want to do this and I did have something similar for a little while but it was indoors and unfortunately the flowers all died. I couldn't save it in time and it also brought tons of gnats into my room. DX So I'm hoping to redo it again at some point.

That sounds really cool, though! If you're able, I'd love to see it when it's finished too!

EmeraldMist

Post by EmeraldMist »

So far I have a rock outline. I have a couple stones I found one day while beach combing on the island where I live; quartz and Amethyst. Also have some sea glass. Still working on everything else; materials. It's getting done! Slowly but surely :) I also have an idea for little fairy village and a "community" fire place.
See all, be all
Be one with self
GrumpymouthGirl

Post by GrumpymouthGirl »

When I had my Night Garden, it was a rectangular space with a circle of bare earth in the centre and plants growing in spokes out of it. I bought some moulds and made my own concrete stepping stones with the moon and stars on them (this was in America, where things like that seem to be easier to come by than here in Britain!). It truly felt like a magical place to work and study with Wicca. Sadly, it didn't last long as I moved to England a couple years after I made it and now the space is overgrown with tree roots. The layout was important to me but the plants I filled it with more so - 'witchy' plants like mandrake, hemlock and belladonna, night-blooming daturas and phlox, and red-to-black flowers. I had a high fence around it to protect pets and wildlife.

Best of luck with your garden.

Return to “Gardening”