What makes you a witch

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
celestia latimer

What makes you a witch

Post by celestia latimer »

Like how many spells do you have to do before you're officially a witch. :surprisedwitch:
corvidus

Re: What makes you a witch

Post by corvidus »

celestia latimer wrote:Like how many spells do you have to do before you're officially a witch. :surprisedwitch:
It's not about the spells, it's all about the pointy hat :evilwitch:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Witch does not live by pointy hat alone; it also needs the striped socks, I mean, to make it official. Coordinating with the broom is optional, as we all know.

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? That's how many spells it takes to be a witch.

But seriously, what makes a witch a witch is union with natural forces. Simple really.
Jenny Crow

Post by Jenny Crow »

XxSatanic_CutiexX wrote:It doesn't matter, if ya know how to cast spells. You're a witch
Not true. Anybody can cast a spell - ya don't have to be a witch to cast a spell!
Siona

Post by Siona »

XxSatanic_CutiexX wrote:It doesn't matter, if ya know how to cast spells. You're a witch
I would think there's more to it than that, it's not just about knowing how, it's about doing. It's a craft. You can read all the books on how to paint, for example, but until you put theory into practice can you really call yourself a painter? (Never mind the fact that, yeah, spells belong to more magical traditions than witchcraft.) If one practices witchcraft, whatever that may entail for the particular individual doing it, then they are a witch.
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

I always thought you were a real witch once you had all the things on the "witch" shopping list.

Considering how much stuff you are expected to have, and how long it could take to collect it all if you aren't affluent, being a real witch is all about persistence and organization.

This response is meant for humor only.
T'ani-L'ai

Post by T'ani-L'ai »

Really, you can call yourself whatever you want. A spell can be a prayer, a poem, or a song. Intent can be baked into pies and stirred into soups. Anyone can find a way to manipulate energy, to put their hopes and wishes out into the world and find a sort of fruition for them.

Personally, I call myself a Witch as an homage to the art and craft of magick as practiced in times passed. The etymological roots of the word "witch" mean "wise one" and refer to the wisdom we find in studying the inner-workings of the Universe. I call myself all sorts of things, though. Usually, I refer to myself as a Witch, but sometimes I refer to all practitioners as Mages.

You might find this article illuminating, but in the meantime, ask yourself this: what do you want to call yourself, or to be called by others? A name can be a powerful things, even a more general term such as "witch" or "mage" or "magick practitioner."

Certain terms can carry a more weighted connotation to them simply by how they've been used over time (such as one who works with spirits and spirit magick taking the term "shaman," or one who practices so-called "high magick" or "ceremonial magick" (lots of fancy, intricate, articulated rituals, basically) taking the term "wizard"). Admittedly, if I ever run into someone that calls himself or herself a "warlock," I tend to associate it with the darker aspects of magick because of the often negative connotation that the term itself has come to possess over the years. While it might be something to consider, always remember to never judge a book by its cover!

Whatever you do decided to call yourself, I wish you many blessings and much enlightenment on your path!

Here's that article I mentioned above:
Where the Word "Witch" Came From

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”