What Do I Call Myself?

Frequently asked questions about witchcraft, Wicca, magick, paganism, and the occult. Subjects include love spells, Ouija boards, curses, Law of Attraction, and what to do if you don't have the needed tools, ingredients, altar, etc.
SnowCat
Banned Member

What Do I Call Myself?

Post by SnowCat »

You've answered the call that you felt stirring within. You've dabbed a toe into the waters of majick. You're ready to commit. But what do you call yourself now? Are you a witch? Are you a wizard? What are you? It's a very individual choice, that is written in pencil, not in stone. How you conduct yourself in this spiritual metamorphosis, is more important than what you call yourself. Try on different labels until you find the one that fits.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SunshineintheDark

Re: What Do I Call Myself?

Post by SunshineintheDark »

:) I'm not sure if this was an invitation to response, but I am currently calling myself an eclectic solitary witch-in-training. Initially, I was kind of freaking out about picking a tradition, but I've decided I am going to learn a bit from them all, unless I find a tradition that calls to me, or become interested in a coven that requires one.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I just call myself a cat.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SunshineintheDark

Post by SunshineintheDark »

AdastraJunction wrote:I refer to myself as a Non-Denominational Spiritual Idealist, since my path doesn't really have a name per-say. Plus it tends to throw off those pesky religious conversationalists. It just takes to long to explain my practices, I'm pagan enough said.
That's actually not a bad idea. (Most) of the religious people are going to find fault/debate with any "name", so it sort of makes sense to just say "I'm a pagan", rather than "I'm ____", and then get, "What's the difference", and before you know it you're knee deep in a conversation you really don't want to have anyway. Not to de-rail, but I've already been aware of witch history, and while I know that we are technically free to openly practice now, I am still very hesitant to tell anyone other than my husband, and you guys. I sense that there will come a time in the future that open practice will not be tolerated once again. So I may just adapt your policy :)
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

I usually call myself a practicing agnostic. The truth in the oxymoron confuses people, or they just assume i mean that im agnostic.
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
dualhands

Post by dualhands »

I use the term " an eclectic polytheist " I think it covers all my bases.

I like AJ's term as well.
diligentibus te dilectio qua dilexisti me , sic fiat
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I call myself an eclectic witch.
pagankeith

Post by pagankeith »

I'm a Witch. I have no problem taking that title either. In fact I love that title. I do also like Wiccan or Pagan. But Witch has always sat with me better.
"Ever Mind the Law ye must in perfect love and perfect trust..."
Doktor Avalanche

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

A Practicioner of the Art(Craft), Hermeticist, Ceremonial Magician, Chaote, Ritualist, Waabanowin, Eclectic Pagan or any other thing people can come up with.
"We are of the gods, but we are not ourselves gods,
We reflect the Divine, but we are not Divinity itself"
barker

Post by barker »

What you are is the work you do, according to the thesis on identity which is currently in effect. (People need food, water and tv and if they want more they have to work properly for it). You can be a son or daughter, witch or wizard but ... ah man. Nature is cool enough. Human being? Me I'm an alchemist, I do actually-naturally think like one, and work accordingly.
EveningWithAstaroth

Post by EveningWithAstaroth »

What I practice is a combination of shamanism and chaos magic.

When referencing myself I honestly just call myself a sorcerer despite being female. Not a sorceress, a sorcerer.

That is simply my personal preference for what to call myself.

But I find I do not go around all day defining myself to myself. I do not mentally call myself sorcerer all day long. Conversations regarding sorcery don't normally come up in my normal natural everyday conversation.

The only two people I've had speak to me of sorcery is my father when he was discussing ceremonial magic with me telling me he isn't certain if he wants to let me use his knife which I accidentally randomly called an athame. He asked "Athame, what is that"? And I told him the ritual blade he has, with the mermaid on it. He brought up casting a circle for the purpose of using entities for ones bidding and told me he doesn't want ceremonial magic in his house... I told him I preferred to term it "Sorcery".

The other time in conversation was when I was playing blackjack with my brother and significant other at the time, for fun, not money, and I could not lose a game. I folded by intuition when told, and played my hand by intuition when it felt right to, and during close to the end of our blackjack session, I called my final three hands accurately stating two would be blackjack (they were) and the last would be sixteen points but him and our friend would both go over, and it was just as I said it. My brother started laughing and looked at me and asked "Alright, what kind of sorcery is this? Seriously"? And I laughed myself and had to apologize telling him I literally felt that that is exactly what it was. I couldn't quit intuitively reading the hands. And I apologized to him saying I am sorry I didn't mean to practice witchcraft during our game. And he shocked me by saying "I'm not mad. Just tell me how to do this! I want to know how you are doing this, what sorcery is this tell me"!!!!

But normally when I walk about out of doors running errands or down the street during the day out and about I don't have random people walking by commenting "Those darned sorcerers! They're at it again! Gave me bad luck!" And I don't walk by a couple strangers and hear them commenting to each other "Hey I have a friend who can help you with that. He's a sorcerer".

So in honesty I call myself when speaking solely to myself and my God a sorcerer.

When I am asked to define my beliefs to others I call myself "Monotheistic pagan".

But, as anyone else, I am not by any means obligated to define either myself or my beliefs to and for others anyway.
bluehearts

Post by bluehearts »

I think of myself as a modern-day Druid, mostly because I have a deep, emotional attachment to the Shannara series and the concept of Druid magic fascinates me.
Somebody: You attract what you fear.
Me: I'm terrified of Josh Dela Cruz.
Ellis Asher

Post by Ellis Asher »

I'm brand new but I've felt strongly about a few characteristics. I feel strongly about nature in all of it's wondrous and terrifying beauty and about my God, the God of Abraham. So I'm a green or earth Christian witch-in-training.

I'll just add the reason I'm not thrown into a tizzy about the two old testament verses in the bible... Wait for it... it's the OLD testament! Lol. I live by the new only. The old is for context imo.

Return to “F.A.Q.”