Stress Relief; Tips & Tricks

If you'd like to have your own blog here, start yourself a thread. Use your member name somewhere in the title so people will know who you are. The blogs here should be mostly about your spiritual path and beliefs.
YanaKhan

Re: Growing a Better Self Image with Azure Lily

Post by YanaKhan »

Azure Lily,
While I do like the general idea of the thread, I think if you would like to promote better self image, you need to accept that people sometimes might disagree with you.
I understand your point, I really do, still promoting health does not include defining yourself by your BMI. Please note that there are people here with eating disorders, this might be triggering for them.
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry! I didn't even think about and how could I. Oh gods. I'm so so sorry to anyone who was.
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Post by AdastraJunction »

Azure Lily wrote:
I do not intend to come across as body shaming, as I said that you are always beautiful. But science rather than society , has a definition of overweight tailored to everyone. There are calculators you can find online, or ask your doctor about what a healthy weight for someone of your gender, age, and stature would be. Everything I post is made for you to loom through and choose to follow or not to follow.
If I may add and interject here. I understand your personal opinion and insights based on experience. It is really great for you to come to terms with yourself and share that journey. One persons experience though insightful, may not adhere to another's and may be looked upon as pushy and belittling if they have not yet achieved a better sense of self physically and mentally. No one likes to be told what to do or think, even in the form of an opinion on personal experiences. It depends on the wording as well (especially online as there are no emotional inflections).

Yes science has helped in identifying "ideal" body image for health. Again, society rears it's ugly head to push this "ideal-ness" that agrees with science. That is where body shaming can start, at the source.

As a dance instructor of certain types of dance, my students are required to wear very revealing attire for performances and even in the studio. You would not believe the number of lads and ladies I have come to me before starting a class concerned other students will laugh at them due to their weight. My response is always the same, "No one will laugh. Least of all me. The point of this is to give you confidence of self and find your own rapture in the things your body can do no matter how it looks." by the end, it's all smiles and happy faces because in the end no one cares how they look to one another as they are all discovering how amazing they are together. I even teach a class for expecting mums up until they are nearly ready to give birth and they learn their bodies in any form are beautiful.

That is was positive body image is, in my eyes though it may not be in everyone else s. My opinion. You are entitled to your own as I have said but be mindful that it does not come off as gospel. That is the point being made here.

Please continue to promote healthy well being, sense of self and body image but be sure to remember to state that it is your experience and your own suggestions so as not to come across as being the only source of good information. (grumbles - stupid non-emotional inflections... internet you fail.)
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Azure Lily wrote:In this I'm trying to promote a healthier self image and a healthier life. If you are overweight, that is an unhealthy thing. No letter what, that's just how it is. Accepting that fact and knowing that you can change In a beneficial way, is healthy. I understand that it's never a one show fits all situation, but I have constituted this from my experience through varying types of therapy that I've gone through and accounts from my loved ones and friends who have been in places of life.

I see your point about images calming some people, and will amend my post so. I would also like to add that this isn't something where you follow everything to line. I am giving a basic introduction of different methods that can be used separately or together, depending on what you wish to make better about yourself.

I do not intend to come across as body shaming, as I said that you are always beautiful. But science rather than society , has a definition of overweight tailored to everyone. There are calculators you can find online, or ask your doctor about what a healthy weight for someone of your gender, age, and stature would be. Everything I post is made for you to look through and choose to follow or not to follow.
Azure Lily,

Not everyone who is overweight is unhealthy and I know this from speaking with my primary care physician. Having extra body fat can eventually lead to health problems later on even if someone isn't experiencing them right now, yes, but once again everyone is different and every situation is different as well. There are people who live well into their 90's who are over weight and don't suffer from medical conditions stemming from being overweight. It's very hard to try and say that you know best from personal experiences because you really cannot. If all situations were the same we would no longer have medical professionals because there would be some kind of treatment such as a pill that would be able to eliminate any and all illnesses, conditions and so on.

Also; I'd like to point out that those calculators online are not something you should be relying on for accuracy or strictly on your own. Doctors rarely use this method now, to be honest. You're talking about BMI which is the body mass index and it's been the subject of controversy and ridicule for awhile because of its inaccuracy. It's aimed at the macro level but it is unable to work well with the micro level due to there being quite a few problems that stem form this method of usage.

Some of which include:

- It does not register muscle so someone who is 5'8" weighs in at, say, 200 lbs but doesn't have a lot of body fat would be considered overweight. It doesn't use muscle mass as a value in its measurements.

- Everyone has a different body type. For example, I am larger set and a friend of mine is the same height but smaller set. What might be considered overweight for both of us might actually be a good weight for me.

There are more factors wrong than just this, but I wanted to share to help you understand why this isn't a proper way to worry about weight and why it will not help promote a positive self-image at all.

If this is not meant to be a "follow this perfectly" kind of guide, that's totally fine and totally understandable but I'd put a disclaimer at the top to say that this is strictly your personal views and not something that everyone should follow. When dealing with matters of health and weight, it's important to check with your physician or a professional instead of relying solely on something you find on the internet.

I appreciate you reading this and listening to what I have to say and hope you are able to continue promoting positivity. You've received a lot of good advice to be able to help you do so~ ^_^
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

YanaKhan wrote:Azure Lily,
While I do like the general idea of the thread, I think if you would like to promote better self image, you need to accept that people sometimes might disagree with you.
I understand your point, I really do, still promoting health does not include defining yourself by your BMI. Please note that there are people here with eating disorders, this might be triggering for them.
Thank you for saying this, Yana. I suffer from an ED and I really appreciate you standing up for us. ^_^
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

I̶'̶m̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶d̶e̶l̶e̶t̶e̶d̶.̶ ̶B̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶h̶a̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶i̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶i̶k̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶f̶e̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶h̶a̶m̶a̶n̶i̶c̶ ̶p̶a̶t̶h̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶l̶f̶ ̶h̶a̶p̶p̶i̶e̶r̶.̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶k̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶f̶u̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶i̶e̶f̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶.̶

And my dearest condolences to you Sakura. I shouldn't have been so ignorant.

Thank you all for your information and I apologize for being so horrid, I hope you can forgive the impact I may have had.
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Azure Lily wrote:I'm going to have this thread deleted. But I've gathered all the shared information. And since ik not a professional, I think ill just take the shamanic path of making yourself happier. And probably start some kind of thread for fun things to do for stress relief and the like.

And my dearest condolences to you Sakura. I shouldn't have been so ignorant.

Thank you all for your information and I apologize for being so horrid, I hope you can forgive the impact I may have had.
Thank you, Lily. Your words didn't affect me but I was worried about how they might affect others which is why I really wanted to help. And I don't want you to feel like you need to delete this thread. (: We all make mistakes and it's totally normal. It just means that we're learning from the mistakes we make and to be honest; I received wonderful advice from a friend that went something like this: "*in response to me saying I failed and made mistakes with cooking something difficult* Did you learn something from it? Then it's not a failure or a mistake. It's simply a lesson."

It's totally alright to try and help spread positivity to others. It's just also equally as important to make sure that the methods you do so are respectful to everyone and anyone instead of being specific.

I'd really like you to be able to keep this thread but to continue with a new insight on how to help others feel better about themselves. It's a great stress relief and might also help you figure out ways too. We're not saying you need to stop, just to make sure you pay close attention to how you do it.

Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Azure Lily, you're not being horrid. It's a great thing to promote positive body image, even if people disagree as to the "how". We are all discussing and learning along the way.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Re: Stress Relief; Tips & Tricks

Post by Naudia Threng »

So, I'm formally apologizing to all those who may have been negatively impacted by the previous content on this thread. While I have chosen to maintain the thread, I will change the subject and instead promote positive energy by sharing some tips and tricks for being generally happier with you guys. I hope you stick around and read on!

In the Greatest Sincerity,
Azure Lily
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Re: Stress Relief; Tips & Tricks

Post by Naudia Threng »

Post #1 of the Stress Relief Series[Improved]

So Hello again! In a hope to make up for my previous... er... yeah, to make up for that, I'm going to give you a stress relief tip!

This is called Silly Day, and it is a great thing for people with high stress jobs that require them to keep cool in situations when that becomes hard.

So, what you do is pick one day during the week, Wednesday for example, and every Wednesday, get in front of a mirror and be weird. Just turn on your favorite song and dance, or yell at your reflection for copying you! Just do whatever! This might seem foolish at first glance, but can be quite fun and it really just unties all those little knots in your day. If you keep to it as a constant, you may even come to anticipate it!

That was a short one, but i hope it helps!

Return to “Members' Personal Blogs”