Essential herbs to keep on hand

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
keria

Post by keria »

For everyday spells: just wanted everyone's input on what herbs would be best to keep on hand. I grow my own sage, basil, mint, catnip, parsley, oregano, and I keep bay leaves and I have lots of trees on my property (oak leaves). I'm trying to expand my herb garden and I know there are hundreds of things that I can grow. I live in SC so it's hot down here in the summer. What do you guys think?
Heartsong

Re: Essential herbs to keep on hand

Post by Heartsong »

Hey, I live in SC too! :)

Basically, what you're growing currently is what I have in my own small garden. Mint is probably what I've got the most of. I love how it smells! This summer, I've been growing some lavender as well, which I tend to use quite a bit for various things. I've also got several blueberry bushes, and some strawberries that I planted around some of my trees.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
keria

Post by keria »

Small world! Where in SC?
Yes I definitely want lavender. I use that a lot too. I also have a big veggie garden and lots of marigold varieties and other flowers but not sure if those are if any magical use. I'm sure substitutions could be made but I'm still learning so I wouldn't know where to begin with substitutions.
keria

Post by keria »

I was just looking at your profile and saw horses... I grew up on a breeding/training horse farm and am a large animal vet tech.
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

Oh, wow, that's awesome!

I live close to Santee, about 45 minutes north of Charleston. I was raised with horses too, although we rode mostly for pleasure and moving our cattle from one pasture to another (way more fun to do it from horseback than in a truck or on foot).

And actually, marigolds do have magical uses. They correspond with divination and amplifying psychic powers. You can place them under your pillow to encourage clairvoyant dreams or add them to a sachet you're making for a sweetening or love spell. You can also infuse them into a tea (they are non-toxic and edible) to sooth a fever. If you're interested in finding out what the plants in your garden could possibly be used for in that regard, I highly recommend Scott Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
keria

Post by keria »

Wow thanks :)
The ones I have are the little bushy ones that have tiny yellow and orange flowers. They are the "lemon" and "tangerine" varieties. They are not the ones with big round flowers. Are they still useful if they are a different type? I am very interested in learning herbal magic and healing. Still figuring things out lol
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

That's alright, it's good to ask questions. :)

It's something that I've been interested in for a long time as well. And yes, they're still useful even if they are a different type.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
LoneWhiteWolf

Post by LoneWhiteWolf »

Lavender! Lots and lots of lavender! It grows well in large containers and is super bee friendly making it a super duper thumbs up. Plus lavender oils not only smell good but are good for spells, baths and general relaxation.
I currently grow Tyme and rosemary, another two woody aromatic plants that along with youre basil will make an amazing Spag Bol haha
Camomile is pretty daisy like plant thats good for tea and the bees, ive been meaning to grow it but completly forgot.
Maybe a fruit tree like an apple tree? You can get 'dwarf' varieties of apple trees if you dont have the room for a big one.

Just remember always research plants! Lavender, tyme and rosemary are dry loving plants that want sandy well drained soil but dont let them stay dry too long and dont keep them in small containers they dry out far to quickly!

Thats all i can think of for now, hope this helps lovely :)
~ Feel the earth under your paws and explore. ~
~ Even the narrowest path could lead to the widest opening. ~
keria

Post by keria »

Yes! I plan on adding lavender, thyme, rosemary, camomile, and a few others. I'm just hoping that they will grow ok here in SC. I know you said about sandy soil for some of them, I guess I will have to make a special raised bed for them. I have white clay all around my house. We had a big veggie garden this year (this is our first year here) and are working to improve the soil with the chicken and rabbit manure in a compost area of the garden, tilling in more every week and adding it throughout so that the garden will be better next year. I have a little separate boxed in area for my herbs that I am going to move and make bigger so I can add on :)
Mickey P

Post by Mickey P »

Chiming in from VA :)

What I grow in my little herb garden is sage, coriander, parsley, mint and rosemary. Recently, I brewed a tea with my mint, and it was delicious. My wife likes to use herbs in her cooking, which is even better when they're fresh.
LillyPlaters

Post by LillyPlaters »

LoneWhiteWolf wrote:.
I currently grow Tyme and rosemary, another two woody aromatic plants that along with youre basil will make an amazing Spag Bol haha

Just remember always research plants! Lavender, tyme and rosemary are dry loving plants that want sandy well drained soil but dont let them stay dry too long and dont keep them in small containers they dry out far to quickly!
Two thighs... Spag bol? What is that?

Also about the lavender, that explains why I always manage to kill mine!!! I never knew that they like drier soils!

Return to “Gardening”