Rings and their guardians

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
CrystalMoon

Rings and their guardians

Post by CrystalMoon »

Hello. I've heard about a very interesting myth that includes 6 or 7 (I've heard both versions) rings, each having its ''guardian'' (a person that has been chosen by god(s) to protect and guard it and its powers). The rings should be a key to open a gate and reveal their guardians' true powers.
However, I've only gathered pieces of that legend/myth and I'm really interested in getting to know more about it and it's origins. Does anyone know anything about that? You can also PM me, if you want to.
Vesca

Re: Rings and their guardians

Post by Vesca »

Extra information would be helpful here.

Do you know from what region the myth originates? How much of it do you know so far? Could you write out a post detailing what you already know?

And are we talking about metal rings that go on fingers, or say... a ring of trees, flowers, mushrooms, stones, rivers, ponds...?
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

That sounds a bit like something from Tolkien. I remember reading, some time back, about where he got the inspiration for his stories, but it escapes me at the moment. I think there was something in Dante about the nine rings of hell. I would guess that the stories had their beginnings or inspiration in something real.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

SnowCat wrote:That sounds a bit like something from Tolkien.
Snow
That was my initial thought too.
But then I remembered I've heard of Guardians, but not of rings, but of cities. And when a Guardian reaches a certain level (I really can't remember what that involved, but I'm assuming some kind of trials), then the city was safe from natural disasters. And when/if all Guardians reached this level, the whole world would be safe. The cities are supposedly on some sort of line or spiral and scattered across the world.
Unfortunately I can't remember who told me this, or when, but it wasn't something I read, it was something to pass from a person to person. My guess is, there must be some sort of similar story everywhere.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

I believe in some Middle Eastern esoteric traditions, jinn are said to reside in magical rings. A ring's stone is usually of a crystal of some sort, and the wearer can scry and do readings by looking into the ring and attuning to its energy. The jinn attached to the magical ring serve to facilitate the wearers' natural clairvoyance abilities.

I believe that such a jinn is to have worked inter-generationally with different souls in the same family lines, so in essence, certain members of such a family, those who possess psychic ability, "inherit" the potential relationship with the related jinn(s).

I think the individual could choose whether he or she wants to take up the work of working with the jinn, as his or her ancestors had, or could choose not to, as well.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”