Witchcraft vs. Wicca

Frequently asked questions about witchcraft, Wicca, magick, paganism, and the occult. Subjects include love spells, Ouija boards, curses, Law of Attraction, and what to do if you don't have the needed tools, ingredients, altar, etc.
FaithFinder

Witchcraft vs. Wicca

Post by FaithFinder »

I'm having a problem defining Wicca because it's often paired with witchcraft. I know Wicca is a religion and witchcraft is a practice, and you don't need to follow any religion to practice witchcraft. But when I hear people talk about Wicca and things you can do to honor the God and Goddess, it's usually spells or other witchy things. So, what is Wicca without witchcraft? I'm having a hard time understanding it, even though I know you can be a Wiccan and not practice it. But if you're not doing witchcraft, then what are your practices?
Sakura Blossom

Re: Witchcraft vs. Wicca

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I was hoping I would be able to help but I'm thinking this is a bit more out of my territory than I'd thought. Haha. From my understanding and personal views through studying; I've never thought of Wicca without witchcraft because everything I have ever read contains spells and talk of magick work. That doesn't mean there isn't anything out there that has information saying otherwise, though. I'm actually really about this myself now so I'm hoping someone who is Wiccan or has more experience with it might chime in. (:
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

What is wicca without witchcraft?

I would think it's the ability to perceive the world as magickal and mysterious and sacred.

I agree, that Wicca is a religion and witchcraft a practice. The thing about religions is that they're a good way to build a spiritual worldview, and acknowledge the Divine in things.
But if you're not doing witchcraft, then what are your practices?
I personally don't practice what I would consider "witchcraft" often (maybe once or twice a year), but I daily recognize it's potential and possibility. If I were to get caught up in "witchcraft", I think I would end up falling behind in the evolution of my Self. So instead, I practice internal energy work similar to tai chi and qigong.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I would say Wicca is about honoring the cycle of the year in relationship to the cycle of life.
you needn't attach anything esle to it, however it would seem most if not all Wiccans are also witches.

bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

I personally pray to my pantheon on many occasions. I practice Wicca more than witchcraft. I meditate often as well (Those are separate things to me). I practice Wicca the way a good Christian practices. Prayer, songs, thanks, etc. On my main deities day, I often sing a hymn to them (that I write myself). To me, Wicca is the eclectic practice of religions and Witchcraft is the practice altering the world around you through the medium of magick, energy, and intent.

Xoxo
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

These are all really good points that I hadn't thought of. Thank you all for sharing. (: I'd never really put thought to this because I don't identify as Wiccan. Thanks!
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Badgerstate

Post by Badgerstate »

IMO, Wicca and witchcraft can go hand in hand and they can be 2 mutually exclusive things. Theres some people who practice the religious side of Wicca, worshiping whatever dieties that they choose but never really getting into rituals or spellcasting. Others dont really delve into the spiritual or religious side of it, dont concern themselves much with dieties but still do the rituals and spells. They beleive that their, "powers" (maybe not the best term for it) come from the Earth, from natural and from the spiritual energy that runs through all things (you could think of it like the force in Star Wars).
It can be whatever you want and its up to each individual to decide what is best for them.
For me personally, they go hand in hand. I like the ritual side of it and I always try to go to that first but sometimes I just need a little help and a little guidance, which is when I turn to whatever God/Goddess that I feel is right for the given situation. I actually should clairify that. First, I try to find a natural remedy or meditating on something; then I go to magick and if I feel at a loss, then I turn to the God/Goddess.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

So the already explained first:

You can follow Wicca without practicing witchcraft, magic, energy manipulation, etc...
You can also practice witchcraft without following Wicca.

That being said; Wicca is encompassed by some pretty permeating beliefs that (as far as I'm aware) pass through all the variations of Wicca. Those being the wheel of the year, the recognition of an archaic God and Goddess, the power of intention, the awareness of the lunar and solar cycles, and the concept of being a part of the natural world and following its natural cycles.

You can believe these things without practicing any form of energy manipulation. You can celebrate the Sabbats without doing any form of energy-manipulating ritual; and you can still have a non-magical ritual.

Ritual: anything we do in a particular way at a particular time. I have a morning and bedtime ritual every day (like brushing my teeth and hair), for example.

Witchcraft without Wicca is pretty much exactly as it sounds. There are numerous beliefs systems outside of Wicca that incorporate the natural world, energy manipulation, deities, etc... I practice witchcraft and I'm not Wiccan. It's pretty common.

Maybe that helps to clear up some of the basics.
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

Vesca wrote:So the already explained first:

You can follow Wicca without practicing witchcraft, magic, energy manipulation, etc...
You can also practice witchcraft without following Wicca.

That being said; Wicca is encompassed by some pretty permeating beliefs that (as far as I'm aware) pass through all the variations of Wicca. Those being the wheel of the year, the recognition of an archaic God and Goddess, the power of intention, the awareness of the lunar and solar cycles, and the concept of being a part of the natural world and following its natural cycles.

You can believe these things without practicing any form of energy manipulation. You can celebrate the Sabbats without doing any form of energy-manipulating ritual; and you can still have a non-magical ritual.

Ritual: anything we do in a particular way at a particular time. I have a morning and bedtime ritual every day (like brushing my teeth and hair), for example.

Witchcraft without Wicca is pretty much exactly as it sounds. There are numerous beliefs systems outside of Wicca that incorporate the natural world, energy manipulation, deities, etc... I practice witchcraft and I'm not Wiccan. It's pretty common.

Maybe that helps to clear up some of the basics.
I don't know about Sakura, but that helped me!
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
Oakheart

Post by Oakheart »

As I understand it, Wicca is a modern religion created in recent times by Gerald Gardner that is roughly based on the various witch cults of Western Europe. Thus, Wicca has the far older tradition of witchcraft as its basis and foundation, yet witchcraft, as it was practiced by these cults, can exist without Wicca.
Student of Rosicrucianism, Neoplatonism & Hermetic Kabbalah.
Badgerstate

Post by Badgerstate »

Plotinus wrote:As I understand it, Wicca is a modern religion created in recent times by Gerald Gardner that is roughly based on the various witch cults of Western Europe. Thus, Wicca has the far older tradition of witchcraft as its basis and foundation, yet witchcraft, as it was practiced by these cults, can exist without Wicca.
Im not sure, "cult" is the right word.
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

Cult is the political correct term. A cult is any small religious group and back then, it was small.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

It fits the basic definition of cult, although that word has unsavory connotations these days.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

Most things connected to wicca or witchcraft has gotten unsavory connotations these days. *cough* Christianization *cough*
Oakheart

Post by Oakheart »

I did not intend on offending anybody. The term 'witch cult' is used by scholars, as a descriptive term, because these covens are very small religious groups. It is not used to imply any of the negative stereotypes that people have associated with the term in modern times.
Student of Rosicrucianism, Neoplatonism & Hermetic Kabbalah.

Return to “F.A.Q.”