Hag Stones

Discussion and questions about the magical properties and uses of crystals and stones.
Middleagedseeker

Hag Stones

Post by Middleagedseeker »

I was wondering if anybody has worked with hag stones? I have never found one but I did find a seashell with a perfectly centered hole in it, and I put a leather lace thing thru it and wear as a necklace on occasion. Do hag stones help with anything in particular? :flyingwitch:
MsMollimizz

Re: Hag Stones

Post by MsMollimizz »

I've never heard of them, but then
of coarse there's a lot I don't recognize !
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
Middleagedseeker

:flyingwitch: Hey thanks anyway! I'm going to do some searching online when I get time. It seems I read an article about hag stones before but I can't remember exactly where.......??
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

By "hag stone" I assume you mean a stone with a natural hole bored into it via water?

If that's the case:

Protection from negative energy, harmful people, and harmful spirits.

The hole (in lore) can be looked through to see to the otherworld (the realm of the Fae and other spirits), which is why it protects.
Middleagedseeker

Oh thank you Vesca!!! I definately need it to repel negativity while at work.
calebcrizer83

Post by calebcrizer83 »

I've read it's good luck to find a hagstone and that nature spirits lead you to finding it (hence why its believed to be a visual doorway to the faerie realm.) I'm not sure if a shell would be considered a hagstone bc it's not a stone but if it is, then the water nymphs are in your favor. & remember, faeries appear as faeries bc that's how our mind expects to interpret them. In metaphysics, nature spirits are just individual yet collective consciousnesses of plants or the elements.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

The reason why shells have those holes in them is because that's a predator (often other snails) drilled a hole to eat the organism living inside the shell.

They're really pretty, though!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Poor little crustaceans....
Becks

Post by Becks »

Oh wow this is awesome. I live on the BC coast and see many shells with the small circular hole in them. I have always thought that as a bivalve-death by way of the snails' radula would be the worse way to die!

In all seriousness I have found a few hag stones, and I really treasure them. One is very large and I use it in ritual regularly. I have a small one on a leather strap I wear when needed. They are some of my most prescious stone tools.

Return to “Crystals and Gemstones”