What does air symbolize?

Talk, spells, rituals, and questions about the four elements.
The Beginer

What does air symbolize?

Post by The Beginer »

I often find articles on fire and water. Not too much on earth and rarely on air. So what does air symbolize, I feel a deep connection with it and want to know more about it.
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Re: What does air symbolize?

Post by Seraphin »

Hiya the beginer!

Air is the most complicated among the five classical elements (Fire, Earth, Water, Air and Spirit). It is light, transient, swift, invisible and seemingly non-existent. Its molecular vibration moves one way and another, never fixed permanently anywhere, never stop and come still. It is ghostly, and could be in one place when you think it's in another but the reality, its everywhere. People who are dominated by this element tend to lack concern about the physical or material world. They may be more spiritual, idealistic, imaginative, visionary and living in the world of thoughts and ideas. They may have a great desire to transcend this world and very connected with subtle energies and non-tangible aspects of existence.

Air people love to discover new possibilities and opportunities. They also love to travel and teach or instruct other people.

Their weakness involves communication, which is also dependent upon air. Nowadays, we communicate in the air through e-mails, texts, faxes, phones, etc. Air people tend toward meaningless chatter, slander, flattery, lies and deceit, able to manipulate things for their personal gains. They may also have a hard time obeying policies and rules and order, as they subconsciously assume they can do whatever they want and be everywhere at the same time.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Clairsentient_Wolf

Post by Clairsentient_Wolf »

My element happens to be air and from what I have experienced, I fit the profile pretty well if you can even say there is a profile. I'm quite a flighty, hyperactive, nervous, whimsical, go-with-the-flow type person who happens to be very in-tune with nature, my general surroundings, and unfortunately the ability to feel the emotions as well as other things when it comes to my family and friends. Even strangers on the street have an impact on my inner workings - I do feel connected with the air element simply because air can be manipulated to do what you want with it...even though it's still independent and can make the ultimate decision.
Strong men run into battle and destroy their foes;
Wise men wait for their foes to destroy themselves.
Becks

Post by Becks »

In terms of the medicine wheel (as I was taught) air relates to the Eastern direction. Air is of the morning. Air is thought, word, inspiration and highly mutable. When I think about air I think about the movement, wind, and music. Most birds correspond to the air element. Try thinking about what bird energy means to you. How do you personally relate to bird energy?

I know when I am in tune with air my thoughts and creativity move well through my brain. When balanced with air I am healthy and flexible in situations. When out of balance I am a bit of a twit and clumsy-dish breaking happens when I am out of balance with air.
shatteredsouls

Post by shatteredsouls »

Well, I also found on astrocrystals that there is a degree of how much you relate to air. It's not just "you are" or "you're not".

Higher degree of Air personality shows:
- a strong emphasis on rational and logical thought, ideas and intellectual pursuits
- detachment and a sense of objectivity and fairmindedness
- mental agility when communicating and expressing ideas
- more concern with theory than with application
- a tendency to be people-oriented but inclined towards the group rather than the individual
- varied interests which lead to a lifelong search for knowledge

While those with lower degree of air personality shows:
- an inability to communicate effectively or clearly, communication can be enigmatic and obscure
- self-consciousness associated with circumstances which point to incoherent communication
- difficulty learning when the goal does not have an immediate and tangible end
- enhanced ability to communicate emotionally, physically or psychically
Clairsentient_Wolf

Post by Clairsentient_Wolf »

The Beginer wrote:I often find articles on fire and water. Not too much on earth and rarely on air. So what does air symbolize, I feel a deep connection with it and want to know more about it.
If I ever write a book about my life, you will get how "air" as a symbol is understood. I'm not trying to be funny but if you
don't laugh about it, you will cry. We are mutable signs and we are able to mold to any situation that we find worth our while. we seem complicated only because we are not easily held down. Fire, Earth, Water are all very straightforward and air just seems to flow through life in a happy-go-lucky sort of way. we laugh and have fun but boy when you piss us off, we can turn into the hurricane of your nightmares.

some would say we act bipolar, no lie. i am bipolar actually so it doesn't bother me.
Strong men run into battle and destroy their foes;
Wise men wait for their foes to destroy themselves.
Silversong
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow (if the rainbow is in Oregon)

Post by Silversong »

Air to me stands for freedom, for life, for the intellect. It may not have the longest attention span, but when it acts it is swift in its action.
Wimsaur

Post by Wimsaur »

Simply put, Air is intellect, rational mind, logic, conscious mind, and communication.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Hi, I did a post on each element and I tried to be in depth. This is a link to those posts: http://witchofthewild.tumblr.com/tagged ... t%20series

(You'll have to scroll down.) Hope that helps.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi

Return to “The Elements - Earth, Fire, Air, and Water”