Black cat appreciation day

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
Red Ember

Black cat appreciation day

Post by Red Ember »

Wishing everyone a happy black cat appreciation day :flyingwitch:

This day was originally created to help raise awareness of the troubles faced by shelters when homing black cats. It was found they had trouble re-homing black cats because of the old fashioned superstitions surrounding them.

Personally, I would not be without mine :D
If cats could talk, they wouldn't. - Nan Porter
Vesca

Re: Black cat appreciation day

Post by Vesca »

Except around Halloween when some with a spare $100 runs off to the shelter to pick up a black cat for the seasonal aspect and then promptly bring it back or put it out on the street (which is why many shelters out here don't allow the adoption of black cats in October).

They aren't a freak show people, they're adorable and loving and fluffy. ^^ Thanks for sharing this though, it's a great idea!
lunamoth

Re: Black cat appreciation day

Post by lunamoth »

My friend does animal rescue and has kept three of the black kittens as those are the last ones to be adopted. I can tell you that at least two of them are truly special and the sweetest cats I have ever known!!!! (they look exactly alike, but you can definitely tell them apart by their personalities, lol) black dogs ,incidentally, have a tough time being adopted too.
I am wondering if it is because in our culture, the color black has such negative connotations.

Return to “Animals and Pets”