Swedish Folk Magic

American Folk Magick, Hoodoo, Appalachian Granny Magic, Ozark Mountain Magic, Pow-wow Magic, and other types of folk magick are discussed here.
Fjäll1291

Swedish Folk Magic

Post by Fjäll1291 »

Some guidelines in Swedish folk magic:

If you read the spell wrong, the magic will strike back on you.

Waning moon is the best for magic.

Thursdays are the second best time for magic. The best days are certain holidays, for example midsummers eve. It takes three Thursdays to be as powerful as a holiday.

Magic works the best between sun going down and up, preferably at midnight.

Place should be the right too, "crossways", water running North, cemetery, a house been moved three times, fireplace, doorway.

Most magical number is 3, second is 7 and 9.

Rituals were done with left hand and counter-clockwise, and you walk to the left and backwards.

You have to be completely silent in the ritual and not look around.

The rituals work the best if you're naked.

In the rituals you can use magical tools "trollmedel" like bones, teeth, blood etc.

The best direction is north.

I will post some spells here, both in English and Swedish.
Kassandra

Re: Swedish folk magic

Post by Kassandra »

I look forward to the information presented on this thread, Fjall. I have a few questions. If you know the answers, that's fine; if not, that's fine, too. Mostly, I'm just wondering out loud.

1. Just who were the troll people?

Where did they come from? What is the traditional belief regarding their origin? They seemed to have left such a huge influence on the culture of Sweden, such a major energetic imprint that has reverberated in the region for centuries, and probably always will. At times it seems like it was and is kind of a love/hate relationship, like the relationship the Sami in Norway have with the goblins and other races there (http://iespaz-andradecomeni.tripod.com/lendanoruega.htm).

2. When Christianity came to Sweden, was Trolldom driven "underground," so to speak?

That is, were Trolldom practitioners persecuted, and traditional folk magic practices considered "evil" by church authorities? When this happened in other parts of the world, practitioners usually just continued to work, at risk of persecution or death, just not openly. And then there was usually a "revival" of sorts in the 20th century, where the old ways were rediscovered, and a new appreciation for them established. There were many such Revivalist movements, reflected in the umbrella term, "neo-pagan."

3. And are there instances of Christianity "blending" with Trolldom, or was Trolldom kept relatively separate by its practitioners?

In many instances around the world, traditional practices were cleverly "painted over" with Christian themes and names, then blended together. This is the case with hoodoo, voudu, and other African diasporic practices in the United States and surrounding countries (Haiti, Puerto Rico, etc.). Another example might be the babkis in Ukraine, who do wax divination (divination generally condemned in the Christian Bible), and will use Christian wording and symbolism in the process. Just from what little examples I've seen of Trolldom, though, it doesn't seem that Christianity made much inroads with it, and the practices seem to have stayed as it may have always been.

Whatever you know, you know. And even if you just make guesses, that is welcomed too, for the sake of conversation.

Thanks. :wink:

Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

This is awesome, Fjäll! I'm really excited to see more.
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

This is so exciting. I'm of Swedish descent ( I'm southern American ) , so I'm quite fascinated by this information. ( in fact the line that my witchy ways come from is from Sweden. ). I look forward to learning from you !!
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

Not to be confused with South American. Haha
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

Yap! I dont know anything about Trolldom so I'm following this thread!
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Fjäll1291

Post by Fjäll1291 »

Kassandra wrote:.

Yay, I look forward to the information presented on this thread, Fjall. I have a few questions. If you know the answers, that's fine; if not, that's fine, too. Mostly, I'm just wondering out loud.

1. Just who were the troll people?

Where did they come from? What is the traditional belief regarding their origin? They seemed to have left such a huge influence on the culture of Sweden, such a major energetic imprint that has reverberated in the region for centuries, and probably always will. At times it seems like it was and is kind of a love/hate relationship, like the relationship the Sami in Norway have with the goblins and other races there (http://iespaz-andradecomeni.tripod.com/lendanoruega.htm).

2. When Christianity came to Sweden, was Trolldom driven "underground," so to speak?

That is, were Trolldom practitioners persecuted, and traditional folk magic practices considered "evil" by church authorities? When this happened in other parts of the world, practitioners usually just continued to work, at risk of persecution or death, just not openly. And then there was usually a "revival" of sorts in the 20th century, where the old ways were rediscovered, and a new appreciation for them established. There were many such Revivalist movements, reflected in the umbrella term, "neo-pagan."

3. And are there instances of Christianity "blending" with Trolldom, or was T kept relatively separate by its practitioners?

In many instances around the world, traditional practices were cleverly "painted over" with Christian themes and names, then blended together. This is the case with hoodoo, voudu, and other African diasporic practices in the United States and surrounding countries (Haiti, Puerto Rico, etc.). Another example might be the babkis in Ukraine, who do wax divination (divination generally condemned in the Christian Bible), and will use Christian wording and symbolism in the process. Just from what little examples I've seen of Trolldom, though, it doesn't seem that Christianity made muchroads with it, and the practices seem to have stayed as it may have always been.

Whatever you know, you know. And even if you just make guesses, that is welcomed too, for the sake of conversation.

Thanks. :wink:

Thanks for your questions!

1. The trolls came from Norse mythology. The descriptions of trolls were very different in different ages. In norse mythology, they were said to be giants. Later in time (middle ages-1800 i think), they were said to look very much as humans and were very beautiful. They lived in mountains and were wealthy. They also had magical powers. Sometimes, the trolls could take your child and exchange it for a troll child.

2. Yes, the practitioners were accused of being witches and devil worshippers. That's why the word for grimoire in swedish is "svartkonstbok" which means "black arts book", even if it has nothing to do with black magic. Many practitioners kept practicing at risk of death, but the most people at that time used folk magic every day. They kept using magic in small villages and it was still seen as a normal thing, something that everyone believed in. The folk magic lived on through the witch burnings.
We had witch burnings in Sweden. Around 400 people were killed, most women. There were only one witch that was burned alive, unlike Denmark where they burned all witches alive.
Anyways, the people who practiced magic were called cunning folk, but like I said, almost everyone used magic and divination methods.
We still today practice folk magic in Sweden, but mostly for fun and tradition.

3. The "witches" in Sweden was believed to be devil worshippers, and there were actually trolldom practicioners that worked with the devil. But many spells include the father, son, holy spirit and amen. Most of trolldom does not include any christianity, only a very little part.

Hope I could answer your questions, or at least give some interesting information. I love to talk about this! :D
Fjäll1291

Post by Fjäll1291 »

There are many ways of healing injuries and disease in Swedih folk magic. Here are some examples:

Healing spells Part 1

Bite away toothache:
You can put the pain into anothe object.
"Go to the church and bite in the iron ring on the door."
Or
"Take a nail and put the pain into a "martall"."

Blow away pain:
The pain could come from a creature that has blown on you. Then you'll have to blow back.
"Blow on the pain, through a nettle stalk or bellows, three times, one for each element.
Say:
I blow in ease, I blow in west,
I blow in south, I blow in north,
I blow in air, I blow in water,
I blow in earth, I blow in light,
I blow for the night,
I blow forever all disease away."

Burn away burns:
Evil shall with evil be driven away.
"Put the burn as close to a fire as possible."

Pull away muscle aches:
"Hang a horse harness in the stable and crawl through it three times. For each time, say: Pull away my ache!"

Pull away rickets from children:
"Pull the child through a hole in a pile of dirt."
ShadowyPractitioner

Post by ShadowyPractitioner »

I love moon magick. It is the most powerful. Norse spells and God prayers are the way to go with nightime magick.
theharmoniouscrow

Post by theharmoniouscrow »

A very interesting thread! Thank you for sharing! I will keep checking for more!
I am keen on Moon magic and Norse magic as well - still discovering my Path, but I know this all fits in somehow.

Thanks again for sharing!
"It's often a person's mouth that broke their nose." - old Irish saying.

I listen more than I speak - don't mistake that for lack of opinion.
Fjäll1291

Post by Fjäll1291 »

ShadowyPractitioner wrote:I love moon magick. It is the most powerful. Norse spells and God prayers are the way to go with nightime magick.
theharmoniouscrow wrote:A very interesting thread! Thank you for sharing! I will keep checking for more!
I am keen on Moon magic and Norse magic as well - still discovering my Path, but I know this all fits in somehow.

Thanks again for sharing!
Norse gods and Norse magic was practiced in 800-1100s, what you usually call Swedish folk magic was practiced 1700-1800s.
There are many similarities with Norse mythology and Swedish folklore, but they're also very different.

I love sharing these things, thank you too :)
Fjäll1291

Post by Fjäll1291 »

In Swedish Folk Magic, a way of divination was Tydor.
Tydor is when a specific thing happens, something else will come,
for example: When a cuckoo lands on your fence, someone in the
house will die.

Here are some examples of Tydor about weddings:

If two siblings get married on the same day, no one will have a
happy marriage.

If it rains in your bridal crown, you will be wealthy.

If your bridal crown is shiny, your marriage will be good.

If your bridal veil is torn after the wedding, the marriage will
be happy.

If your shoes are too small, you will have a bad marriage.

If you wear a silver coin in your shoe, there will always be money
in your house.
Fjäll1291

Post by Fjäll1291 »

Since we witches get so many warts, I thought it was a good idea to share this ;)

Getting rid of warts:

Take as many peas as you have warts, then throw them in a spring and say: "There you have your warts for my peas!"
Throw salt into an oven, then run outside so you cant hear the fire.
Wash your wart in moonlight and say: "Moon, moon, take my warts and give to those that haven't got any." or "You will dry and rot away, just like the moon fades away."
Rub the wart in horse sweat or dog urin.
Let a twin touch the wart, then let him spit on it.
Go a thursday morning, before the sun rises, to a spring and take off your clothes, then wash yourself there and say: "I wash away my warts!"

Read this spell, three times in waxing and waning moon:

Swedish:
"Jag gick ikring ett berg,
Där kom de ut ett psyke,
'Dej ska jag skjute!'
'Nej det ska du inte!'
Under en jordfaster sten,
där ska de ligge,
Åsne, fåsne, dåsne!
Så sant som lik för jord,
Och dagg för sol,
Så skall det onda försvinna!"

English:
"I walked around a mountain,
From there it came out a psycho
'I will shoot you!'
'No you wont!'
Under a rock,
where it will lay
"Åsne, fåsne, dåsne!"
As true as corpse for earth,
And dew for sun,
The evil will disappear!"
Fjäll1291

Post by Fjäll1291 »

This is a "Trollskrin" (Trolls box) or "Spålåda" (Divination box). On the things sticking out from the box (whatever you would call them XD), you would write nine different symbols. The symbols were made from nine different types of wood. In the box you would store nine types of metal and nine types of charcoal.

The sick person would go to the wise man and poke, with his left smallest finger, the symbol corresponding to his disease. The wise man would take a piece of all the metals and all the coal, then go out the door, throw the pieces over his left shoulder and say: "Damn the evil one, who brought this disease."
Kassandra

Re: Swedish Folk Magic

Post by Kassandra »

Interesting post, Fjall, a healing box. Are you able to get information on the 9 types of trees of which the 9 healing knobs on the outside of the box are made, and also of what substance the charcoals are made (and is each charcoal different, or of the same substance)?

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Cheers.

Return to “Folk Magick”